Design, or build fault?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4323 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good afternoon, I am hoping someone will be able to help with my problem.

I recently had a kitchen designed by a kitchen unit store - their designer came and did a great design. I liaised with builder who installed kitchen according to plan.

On completion, I noted that one wall cupboard had no shelves - queried with builder, who told me that he could not put shelves in as the back corner unit had had to be cut out as the downpipe boxing was in the way, and he was unable to place the fixing brackets in the corner, this had in turn weakened the cupboard and I could use it as long it did not have too many heavy objects in it - shelves would be difficult as the back corner had been cut out and very neatly "boxed" in, this would mean all (any) shelves would not slot naturally into the pre-existing drilled holes for shelf placement!-xc

I voiced my displeasure at this time

Builder said I had approved the design, I had no hope of getting any assistance from design company, but should contact them anyway.!!!He told me he had done it according to the design I had approved! I stated that I approved the design on the assumption that I would have a usable cupboard!

I contacted cupboard people( design and supply) and they have come back today to say that the builder and I had approved the design and they are not liable!]

I am now waiting to take this matter further

Can anyone tell me who is actually responsible? They are blaming each other - and me, indirectly, by saying I approved the design.

Builder did a good job, and I paid him in full!! Silly me!!!

The remedy would be to replace with a smaller cupboard and put a blanking strip against the wall in the front instead of cutting out the back!!!

Who should take the cost of all this - builder ??? me??? or design/supply company???

I am assuming cost will not be too great, but on principal, I feel I need to challenge this - I want a usable cupboard - not just a 600x600 " unusable cave" in the corner of my kitchen!!!

Design company have been very helpful up to this point and I cannot fault their service (a few other glitches resolved quickly)

Many thanks in advance,

Yorky

Thanks for your reply - hopefully this will help

Design clearly showed cut out area, it did not show shelves, but then none of the other wall units showed shelves - and there are shelves in all of those cupboards!

One assumes that shelves are included in cupboards unless specifically noted ? Who would want a shelf less cupboard?

Design was on 2 pages

1. CAD type design showing a 3D picture of what kitchen would look like when complete - ie doors closed, pretty picture!

2. a "technical" lined drawing showing " aerial" view which clearly shows cupboard to be cut to fit around boxing of pipework

Apologies for not knowing the technical words - but I hope you manage to understand my layman explanation

My problem is 3fold - no shelves, no corner fixing bracket resulting in cupboard not to be used for heavy objects! = useless cupboard!

Thanks again

Disappointedlady

• 1 month later...

Hi rebel11,

Sadly - it has not been resolved - I left dozens of messages for manager of design/build company to call me to discuss - he was either away on a course or in a meeting - I eventually gave up. Never did contact the buildet/carpenter again - his lack of interest in the first place plus the fact that he had already stated it was a design fault and was not interested - I still have a useless cupboard, I am in the process of trying to find another carpenter to at least put some shelves in so that I can use the cupboard!!!

I was hoping that more people would have responded to my query - only one person asked a question, but left no opinion.(more opinions would have helped me "make a case" - assuming someone agreed with me!)

I am a middle aged + woman living on my own - I am constantly let down by all sorts of trades people - doesn't seem to matter which trade - they always leave me feeling stupid and irritated!!! I beging to doubt my own intelligence - but then realise they are the less intelligent ones - if they had done a decent service I would have been able to refer them on to other people or might have called them back for further work. Ho hum - its just the way it is I suppose.