• Tweets

• as you mention the bpa sounds like its a scummy private car park lot blue badges mean nothing on private land anyway.............. so a failure to display something that is meaningless on private land anyway is a money grabbing scam moved to the private parking forum dx dx
    • who is it from  a council or a private parking company?
    • As per the heading, received a parking charge for failure to display a blue badge in a disabled bay on a retail park.  I am a blue badge holder, disabled/wheelchair user with a Motability vehicle. I received the charge as 'notice to keeper' I was not the driver. I don't have a valid driving license so use a carer. The notice arrived a week after the alleged incident. It states that as the 'driver' failed to pay the charge in full  hence, it is now the keepers responsibility ( the notice was dated 2 days after the alleged infringement and as no notice to driver was on the vehicle, I don't know how they expect the driver to be able to either pay or dispute the charge if they are not aware of it) Anyway, really looking for help how to reply. I cannot remember if the badge was correctly displayed or not. Photos taken of car miss a bit where I store my badge if not displayed so it would be possible to see a badge even if not 'correctly displayed" . It was a bit of a sh**ty day weather wise, gusty and raining  (as seen on the photos which reminded me of the actual day) so it is possible that badge blew to the floor as the driver was helping me out of the car into wheelchair. There is no windscreen photo showing that a PCN to "Driver" was stuck on the window either. The car park is free. There are no Parking Signs at all near the disabled bays that one could read to adhere to any terms and conditions. The whole row of disabled bays - of which are there many only state badge holders ( does not stipulate Blue Badge Holders) The notice states that the parking company is a member of the BPA and Operating in accordance with the British Parking Association's Code of Practice. The BPA, section 19.1 State that at least one parking sign should be near the disabled bays, in a position that can be easily  read by by a disabled person without leaving their car in order to decide to be bound by such terms. We returned to look for signage on the retail park and could not find one sign that was near the bays. The only sign we could find was high up on a pole but not near the bays. Someone had to get out of the car and stand on tip toes to be able to take a photo of a sign. I would be grateful if someone could help or point me in the right direction. It is now  15 days since the alleged incident and 7 days since I received the notice.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

VAT on O2 termination fees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have tried the search but could not find anything so here is my question:-

I have just terminated two phone contracts early, one with Orange and one with O2.

Orange have not charged VAT on the early termination fee but O2 have. I have Googled this and there are so many replies with some, yes it should be charged and some, no it should not be charged.

There does not seem to be a definitive answer, only opinions.:???:

Has this never been challenged before?

Thanks for any advice

Edited by greigster
typo

Simple solution, neither should be applying termination fees.

In my opinion they are expected profit and covering the cost of the free or discounted phone that they give as free as an inducement to take the contract and to avoid having to register as a credit provider.

Because the termination fee is not a reflection of their costs, I don't believe that they are enforceable.

I found that asking the for a fully itemised explanation of the termination charge and a proper invoice for them made them go away.

If they were valid then I think that whether VAT should be refunded depends on how long the contract has been running for, probably 3 or 6 months if I remember the regs and if they haven't been changed in the last 30 years ...

I would agree with what 2Grumpy said - but even sticking to their claimed VAT perspective, I wonder what happens if you move to a non VAT jurisdiction, then request to terminate your contract?

It might sound a bit tenuous/unusual, but by using a non EU registered bank/credit card, you normally avoid paying VAT on many services that do not require a physical delivery address (VOIP, Skype, roaming mobile sims etc) - so surely the same would apply here.

Simple solution, neither should be applying termination fees.

Thanks for your reply,

Perhaps I did not explain myself very well. The termination of this o2 account was at my request, it was a 24 month deal with a free phone but I asked to terminate after 12 months.

I am happy to pay the remaining 12 months rental in lieu of notice but why do they charge VAT on this lieu of notice figure. There must be a definitive VAT rule, so why would Orange not charge the VAT but o2 does?

You are terminating and breaking the contract, The most they should charge is the amount that the breach costs them. (NOT including all their profits)

Reguardless of the legalaties of can they charge you this, they have been told by Ofcom that they need to offer a discount... I think you need to push them a little harder.

As advised above, Write to them, asking how this termination fee is made up, and for them to note that the maximum they can charge is their true costs, and you look forward to them showing the true cost of your cancelation.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I remember Ofcom said they had to offer a discount, and it was never disclosed. However this thread makes for interesting reading.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?307903-Possible-New-Case-Law-Against-Mobile-Contract-Early-Cancellation-Fees

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 3 weeks later...

On 1st May, I sent an email outlining the advice from the above posts requesting a reduction of my termination fees and here follows the latest correspondence :-

REPLY FROM O2

Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:48 AM

To: mailto:greigster

Subject: Your O2 Complaint - 25xxxxx

Hello greigster

Thanks for your email.

For security reasons, please reply to this email with the first and fourth characters from your account password. I’ll be happy to help with your complaint once this has been provided.

Kind regards

xxxxxxxxxx | Telefónica UK Limited

Complaint Review Service

T 0845 3300 684

NEXT EMAIL FROM O2

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:48 AM

To:greigster

Subject: RE: Your O2 Complaint - 254xxxx

Hello Mr greigster

Thanks for your reply.

I’m sorry we’ve not explained how your early termination fees are worked out. I understand your frustration with this, especially as you feel the charges exceed what you should be paying.

Your contract was taken out on 3 May 2011, for 24 months. At this time, you agreed to pay your line rental for the next 24 months.

As you’ve ended your contract early, you’ve been charged your £10.50 monthly line rental charge, multiplied by the remaining months of your contract. This is how your early termination fees are worked out.

I’ve now changed your account address to the new address you’ve provided.

I hope this helps and if there’s anything else please let me know.

Kind regards

xxxxxxxx | Telefónica UK Limited

Complaint Review Service

T 0845 3300 684

MY REPLY TO O2

Sent: 11 May 2012 18:10

To: CRemail (UK)

Subject: Re: Your O2 Complaint - 25xxxxx

Hello Mr O2,

Thankyou for your reply.

I think you may have misunderstood my complaint.

I believe that the termination fee charged by yourselves is excessive.

Could you kindly let me know how the termination fee is made up taking into account that the maximum you should charge is amount that the breach has cost you. I look forward to you showing the true cost of my early cancelation.

Kind regards

greigster

REPLY FROM O2

Hello greigster

Thanks for your reply.

I’m sorry you’re unhappy with the amount we’ve charged you.

When taking out the contract, you agreed to pay £10.50 for 24 months. As it was ended early, we asked you to pay for the remaining months that you’d already agreed to pay.

As you’re unhappy with this, I’ve refunded £50 back into your bank account to make it up to you. This will take up to 10 working days.

Kind regards

Mr O2 | Telefónica UK Limited

Complaint Review Service

T 0845 3300 684

Very happy with the result and thanks to the advice from the above Caggers.

Could this thread please be marked as resolved

• Haha 1

Well done. They will never admit that they are wrong, but its £50 better in your pocket than in theirs.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar