Car tax - how do they work it out?

Allyxia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6327 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any ideas how they work out car tax?

I got a Renault senic 4x4 people carrier (2l)and when I taxed it in june it cost me £102 for 6 months.

Now my father in law got a Land Rover discovery 4x4 (2.5l) and his cost £96 lst week.

How come? Surely mine doesnt guzzle more gas than his, mine a newer model as well!!!!

How doe sthe DVLA base these charges.

I wish they'd do away with car tax and charge it per mile coz I walk every where, I only use my car for bad weather and I live in mountains So yes I need a 4x4 as we ALWAYS get snowed in!!!!!

Allyxia

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR MONEY - EVEN WHEN IT GETS TOUGH

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

HSBC £1200 - Settled in Full

Cap 1 2 X £100 - Settled in Full

Nationwide £1641 - Settled in Full inc Default and CCJ Removed by Court Order

NatWest £2215.60- Settled in Full and Removed Default Natice

Woolwich £3690 - Settled in Full

Under the new system VED is charged by carbon emissions.

It's all on direct.gov.uk

Davjoh

Here to help!

Good with employment, disability and welfare/benefit questions :rolleyes:

Just ask!

• 2 weeks later...

Yup - the press reports that all 4x4 gas guzzlers would be hit was wide of the mark, as my non gas-guzzling Espace MPV which isn't a 4x4 got hit with the higher rate. Let's move onto road pricing where you pay for what you use....!

Guess what came today next 6 months reminder (couldnt have been june inmy last post) and its now £104.

They cant posible jusitfy the fact that a huge honking great Landrover discovery is less poluting than my family car!!!!!!!!!

And what about people with large engin cars ie Jags etc etc whya rent theygetting penalised as well. At least 4 x4 are of some use if you live in the wilds like me, (We not on about those silly school run people in the city!!!) what use is any car over 1.8 apart from showing off!! Bloody tax them I say!

Me and hub class ourselves as being really eco friendly (apart from the car) and would love to have the new toyota hybrd but we now damn wellit wouldnt get up the mountains by us!!!!! after all one our friend tried to visti us on a scooter and we had to go and rescue him!!!!

Allyxia

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

Or of course, just scrap the tax and stop wasting about 30 billion quid a year.

Then people might not be having a pop at others who choose to drive a different car to them.

Someone should remind this Govt. that Orwell's '1984' was not intended as a reference manual on how to run a country.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

The trouble is "we" the public voted them in - they all as bad as each other, if they dont tax us one way they'll do it another!!!

I just find lately that whenever new legisaltion comes in it hits me and hub the hardest. Its like we earn just a little too much for certain benefits but not enough to be able to afford the other extra penalties. Somedays is difficult to work out whether or not its worth actually getting out of bed and dragging my butt to work.

Fortunately I do for the vocational aspects and not just the money!!!

Does anybody else wish they could opt out sometimes?

Allyxia

Any ideas how they work out car tax?

I got a Renault senic 4x4 people carrier (2l)and when I taxed it in june it cost me £102 for 6 months.

Now my father in law got a Land Rover discovery 4x4 (2.5l) and his cost £96 lst week.

How come? Surely mine doesnt guzzle more gas than his, mine a newer model as well!!!!

How doe sthe DVLA base these charges.

I wish they'd do away with car tax and charge it per mile coz I walk every where, I only use my car for bad weather and I live in mountains So yes I need a 4x4 as we ALWAYS get snowed in!!!!!

Yours is newer and is therefore caught by the sliding scale VED that only applied to new vehicles form its date of introduction in 2001. BTW, there isn't a rate of £102 for six months - it's £104.50 for petrol and £107.25 for diesel at over 185 gm/km CO2 emission

Older vehicle remain on the old scales - possibly because CO2 emissions tests weren't available for them.

If it is any consolation. I pay £175 per year for a 4.7 litre V8 Jeep - first registered 2000

Someone should remind this Govt. that Orwell's '1984' was not intended as a reference manual on how to run a country.

Wish I'd said that. In fact, mind if I appropriate it for use at a later date?

BoS:- D P A sent 09/06 Prelim. request 29/06 £1755 plus interest

1st claim Filed 5/10/06 SETTLED 19/10 £747.80 plus £534.31 interest

Still stinks thou, but thanks for that over £200 per year on tax not including petrol, I wish I could just ride my hourse everywhere (i really am getting into the good life here!!!!)

I promise my son though as soon as we get him a pony and he's more confident I'll take him to school on horse back.

I bet Im not doing much for the "backward yokles" image wales already has here am I?

Allyxia

• 2 months later...

Heeeeeeeeeere's JONNY!

Actually, it's not Jonny, it's Westy. Just to let you know I've linked to this thread for the Cardiff thing whenever.

W

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

So this is where it'll be happening.......eh!!

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D