Friend Committing Benefit Fraud

stardust1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4316 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Please do not judge me, I have come on here for a bit of advise. Someone I know is committing benefit fraud knowingly, and has gotten away with it up so far. She has remained under the radar, and has just lied through her teeth to the job centre about her situation.

She claims Council Tax, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credit, JSA etc and has done this by falsely saying she is a lone parent to two children. Truth of the matter here is she is in a relationship and living with this person for many years.

She lies about him, saying he does not live with her, and tells the job centre he lives in a hostel.

They are both on the run from debtors.....

It frustrates me that she flaunts that she is a 'lady of leisure' ....and she's is out during the daytime spending all this benefit money she is not actually entitled too. This person is definitely job shy!!!!

Some people have nagged at her saying what she is doing is fraud and she says 'i know i know... i will tell them one day, money X is earning has dried up' and I think What?????all lies lies lies

I don't know what to do as I'm sick of seeing her flaunt it under my nose whist I (and many others) are working hard to pay our bills and make and honest living.

I don't know whether to file a report online or by telephone or say nothing and grit my teeth. When I think to the back payment - if it came to that - its going to be £1000s when they eventually calculate it.

OK there is just a general outline, what would you do in this situation? Please don't ask me to draw attention to myself by asking her to reconsider what she's doing because it will fall on deaf ears with her.

Thank you:|

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do what you think is right. It is ok me saying I would report them or I would not report them, but that is me.

If you do decide to report this person, it is anonymous so you won't be named anyway.

Only you can decide on this one.

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

I understand your dilema. More than once I have been tempted with a woman I know that claims sick, says she is agraphobic, yet is always posting on facebook about going down the pub, & off to football matches. Although she is a bit clever & states she can't leave her town really that's the problem, yet the footie match isn't in her town, she's on about a premier league team. I get on the online report page, start filling in the details, then stop. I know its anonymous, but nothing on line is truly anonymous, ip addresses etc. I just always end up thinking of kharma, & that something bad will happen to me. Strange maybe, but that's just what happens & it stops me!

I understand your dilema. More than once I have been tempted with a woman I know that claims sick, says she is agraphobic, yet is always posting on facebook about going down the pub, & off to football matches. Although she is a bit clever & states she can't leave her town really that's the problem, yet the footie match isn't in her town, she's on about a premier league team. I get on the online report page, start filling in the details, then stop. I know its anonymous, but nothing on line is truly anonymous, ip addresses etc. I just always end up thinking of kharma, & that something bad will happen to me. Strange maybe, but that's just what happens & it stops me!

I keep thinking Kharma. Worried it will come back on me in some form, although I am very aware she is living for 'free' and then jokes about it in front of everyone. But is still fraud.

If you use either of the methods I have in my post above, then it is completely confidential, not even your telephone number is recorded.

Do it, don't sit there pondering allowing someone to commit a very serious criminal act and get away with it, you wouldn't hesitate if it was a rapist.

If you don't report someone you know who is stealing the money from your paypacket that is virtually being an accessory.

You have no choice but to report them:

Not really. We're not living a police state......just yet. If this person is committing obvious fraud as you suspect them to be then I'm sure they'll get tripped up at some point without any help from anyone else. If you do report then you'd better be correct in your facts as there's too many people accusing others of such activities which in the end turn out to be incorrect. I mean with all the powers at the DWP disposal (credit checking, ability to send compliance offers off on random checks) then living together fraud would be fairly easy to detect imo. I mean look at the number of people on here who post about it.

If you use either of the methods I have in my post above, then it is completely confidential, not even your telephone number is recorded.

Imo they should be. Would maybe cut down on all the malicious reports that seem to flood the call lines DWP these days.

Do it, don't sit there pondering allowing someone to commit a very serious criminal act and get away with it, you wouldn't hesitate if it was a rapist.

Er what?? I think thats rather an over reaction imo. I don't agree with fraudulent activities, but I wouldn't see such an offense as being on the same level as rape. I mean, really?

Edited by sadone

To be completely honest, if she has acknowledged to you that she knows she's committing fraud, I would be very inclined to report her.

Normally, I'd be as on the fence as you are because I'm less interested in the little people clocking up a few thousand in fraudulent claims than I am in the Fat Cats who clock up millions in tax avoidance etc. However, we are at a point in time where people with genuine illnesses are being forced back into unsuitable work - if they can't get money from the State then I'm blowed if she should be allowed to.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

This is a matter for your own conscience to decide.

Some people, get in a mess, they panic, they commit small scale fraud, but its nothing really major, just people in a corner making the wrong decision, we get a lot of it on here, I cannot condone it, its illegal, and it hurts all of us, but the person doing it, isnt really malicious, just being bloody stupid.

Then we have the people like in the OP's post. Willfully, gleefully, happily, committing wholesale planned fraud of several benefits, purely to live an easy life, whilst severely ill people are dying waiting for appeals as ATOS failed them at medical, whilst people made redundant who want to work struggle to survive on JSA, and go through the slave labour programmes.

I have never been keen on the idea of informing, mainly because of all the abuse that is going on due to the anonymity. my first example, I wouldn't inform on them, I don't think. I would just advise them very strongly to come clean, as they will get caught.

But, People like in the OP's post. Absolutely, without hesitation, inform the DWP. This is effectively "organised crime" if you see what I mean. These are the real parasites that need disinfecting out of the system, to protect the rest of us.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To be completely honest, if she has acknowledged to you that she knows she's committing fraud, I would be very inclined to report her.

Normally, I'd be as on the fence as you are because I'm less interested in the little people clocking up a few thousand in fraudulent claims than I am in the Fat Cats who clock up millions in tax avoidance etc. However, we are at a point in time where people with genuine illnesses are being forced back into unsuitable work - if they can't get money from the State then I'm blowed if she should be allowed to.

These people committing organised/planned fraud, those who do it clear of mind and with willful intent, rather than those who panic, or feel backed into a corner - they are absolutely identical to the fat cats, except for the actual financial figures involved. And for all the wrong they did, much of what the fat cats did was, sadly, Legal. These major defrauders however, every single thing they are doing is illegal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Report her. She is stealing from you and all the other taxpayers. She doesn't have any more rights than you do and you do have the right to protect yourself from thieves. Nothing will happen to you. She will never find out it was you unless you tell her or you tell someone else who tells her. So report her and tell no-one that you did.

I speak from experience. I reported someone once. I didn't set out to be someone who reports others, but after the facts came to light, I didn't see that there was any other choice. And yes, I had the facts. I had the woman's own statements in writing. Nothing happened to me. I'm not certain quite all that happened to her, but by accident, some time later, I found out that she had lost her council house, which was only fair because she was living with someone else part of the time in another part of the country.

This person needs reporting tbh she has admitted that she is aware of what she is doing but chooses to carry on adding to the stigma that many of us that are honest and declare everything are labled with, "Benefit Scrounger" and her actions are totally illegal.

I have to admit I wouldn't report her.

I'm so fed up with disabled people being targeted by the anonymous "tip offs line" a person being investigated without an other evidence.

I don't like what the person is doing, but I'm not going the play The Suns game.

This person needs reporting tbh she has admitted that she is aware of what she is doing but chooses to carry on adding to the stigma that many of us that are honest and declare everything are labled with, "Benefit Scrounger" and her actions are totally illegal.

Yes bang on she is a lazy bum, spending tax payers money freely, from those that have worked hard for it.

I walked into the council for advice saying I know of a person committing this benefit fraud and they took me into a small room with tape recorders. The person I spoke to was very nice and said they didn't want my details as they would have to be used in court. I said I didn't want that and he said chose an alias (which I did). I showed him the proof I had and he took notes but couldn't take it if I didn't want to be named. He asked me some careful questions. I know I said I didn't want to be found out by the person doing it, and this was confirmed that it would go down on paper as an anonymous report. He said don't ask anyone questions now as he doesn't want suspicions arisen and he will do relevant checks now.

Edit: Tape recorders we not on by the Way!!!

:-xReport her if you are sure of the facts, its wrong that some people play the system and get away with it. Most of us work hard for our money and lifestyles and its totally wrong that people like her sit back and just take take take.

It really gets to me especially as there are so many people who do have a right to benefits and if there were less fraud they mighty get a bit more.

Sadly the longer she gets away with it the more likely other people who know her will think they can as well and start making false claims.

Sorry if I sound harsh but while I have no problem in those who deserve benefits getting them I am totally against going to work to support those who think everyone else owes them a living.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Stardust, how would you like it if someone made an anonymous allegation against you? Oh...it appears you already know what THAT's like... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?337376-Compliance-Officer-Visit-today.

I'm not necessarily saying don't report her, I'm just wondering what you'd actually get out of it, personally?

The welfare system is intended to provide a safety net for those who require assistance.

Your "friend" is abusing the system and such actions are taking money that could be better used helping others who genuinely need assistance.

Also it creates and plays into the stereotype that all those on welfare benefits are work shy dole scroungers, therefore tarring others with that brush.

If she is intent on continuing such theft, then I would inform the DWP and LA by telephone and allow them to investigate the matter.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

I always saw the position with the government to be one of them and us.

Something about this entire thread leans me towards believing there must be a shortage of unneutered cats wandering the streets, resulting in those who normally police cat sex, delivering to the vets for deknackering, are now seeking alternate punitive entertainment for their time.

Stardust, how would you like it if someone made an anonymous allegation against you? Oh...it appears you already know what THAT's like... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?337376-Compliance-Officer-Visit-today.

I'm not necessarily saying don't report her, I'm just wondering what you'd actually get out of it, personally?

Yeah, this.

I always saw the position with the government to be one of them and us.

Something about this entire thread leans me towards believing there must be a shortage of unneutered cats wandering the streets, resulting in those who normally police cat sex, delivering to the vets for deknackering, are now seeking alternate punitive entertainment for their time.

I'm past caring about the Government. As far as I'm concerned, I'm stuck with them (I say "them" because they've all just melded into one big, squishy, interchangeable joke to me) because the alternative is anarchy and I don't fancy that much either.

It's all down to fairness to me now. There's people out there doing their best to contribute to the world, and there's people out there who are determined to get by doing as little as possible for as much as they can get. It's not limited to one class, one race or one religion and I'm fed up of the lot of them. If I reserve the right to kick up a fuss about higher level tax avoidance, then I have to take it on the chin when someone of my own class is taking money out of the pocket of some poor so-and-so raising their kids on minimum wage and counting their coppers to buy a loaf of bread at the end of the month.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops: