Job Interview with Financial Institution with Bad Credit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I passed a telephone interview with Teleperformance working with Clydesdale and Yorkshire Bank tomorrow.

When I had the interview, the interviewer asked me about my credit history and I was honest and said I didn't have the best history (really I don't... the financial situation our beloved country is in has really messed me up). She asked about it and I told her that to start when I turned 18 I wasn't very good at managing my money and also had a few defaults on utilities from the past couple of years when I was made redundant. She said that this should be fine and that I was honest about it.

Whilst I find this some-what re-assuring I am still worried because I have been researching some horror stories that people have been having finding employment where credit searches are made.

The job will entail dealing with incoming calls from banking customers using the telephone banking service who wish to make transactions, etc on their account.

Might I add that I have no CCJ's, IVA's or Bankruptcies.

Will I be rejected the job once the credit report comes through? Any advice/criticism welcome.

Edited by donaldm01

Have got a copy of your credit files???

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I try to get copies of my credit files but it always says it cannot verify my information. I have never been on the electors roll... I don't vote so never go on it.

Hi Donald,

I've worked for major banks, and continue to work in finance elsewhere.

Mere 'bad credit' should not be a bar to employment in banks. CCJs, IVAs, Bankruptcy, Debt Relief Orders, etc. (applied during the last 6 years) are very highly likely to lead to your rejection, but you state that you don't have these, so should be OK.

Defaults should be OK. There are different types of credit search available, a basic which screens only for 'public information' against your name (CCJs, insolvency, etc.), and a more 'enhanced' one which lenders use to assess general creditworthiness before offering you a credit product.

Your prospective employer would most probably do the basic check only, and defaults don't show up under this search.

Speaking as someone who has worked in recruitment, I have never had someone initially rejected for a role based purely on their credit report (unless it was a financial controller type role AND they had a major or very recent bankruptcy). The worst thing to do is say nothing about it and have them discover it. I had a guy once with a major bankruptcy who declared it, so he was fine. Unlike the guy who didn't and was walked off site.I wouldn't worry too much, I think the majority of people have had credit issues at one point or another and you did the right thing in letting them know about it.

I have had a similar experience and now have had an acceptance working with a major bank in customer service and was up front with everything but they still want to screen as I have a mini campaign going about the unfair way companies treat debtors and giving employment. Nowadays trying to get a job is like trying to draw blood from a stone impossible, we need jobs to keep out of debt but yet they refuse to employ people with credit problems which kills our credit rating further making job hunting impossible.