• Tweets

• Below is my proposed letter of claim to Yodel. I would welcome comment.   Dear Yodel, Claimant x: claim for breach of contract loss of package xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I am making a claim against you claim against for breach of contract relating to your loss of a package valued at £150.00. I refer to two webchats that I have had with your organisation following which I was advised that Yodel were not prepared to recompense me for my loss. This letter is being sent to in accordance with the Practice Direction on Pre-action Conduct and Protocols (the Pre-action PD) contained in the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR). In particular, I refer you to paragraphs 13 to 16 of the Pre-action PD concerning the court's powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with its provisions. Ignoring this letter may lead to our my commencing proceedings against you and may increase your liability for costs. Circumstances leading to my claim against Yodel On 14 June 2024, I made a sale on eBay of a set of 3 Kirkland Signature golf wedges (‘the goods’) at a price of £150.00 plus £6.00 postage. I received payment from the purchaser via eBay and on 15 June I purchased postage from eBay’s Packlink. Packlink arranged the delivery of the package to the purchaser with Yodel. Having packaged the goods in wrapping paper, I delivered them on 15 June to the Shell petrol station on ……..and a tracking number of  xxx was given. Tracking showed that the package made it to your Leeds Depot on 15 June but thereafter the package went missing. The Purchaser had been advised that they were ready for collection at her local depot in Preston but they could not be located in Preston. I personally attended your Leeds depot where your helpful staff confirmed that the package had been scanned into that depot and was also scanned going onto one of your trailers (7DL 1436) bound for Preston but that thereafter the package was not scanned again and could not be located either in Leeds or Preston. Due to non-receipt of the goods, I was required to refund the buyer her £156.00. I have sought compensation via Packlink but they are only prepared to pay ‘basic compensation’ of £25.00. Through your webchat I have sought to make a claim against Yodel but have simply been referred back to Packlink suggesting that I do not have any rights against Yodel. You are referred to the The Contract (Rights of Third Parties Act) 1999 upon which I rely and which give me the right to sue on the contract just as if I was a directly contracting partner. I was a discernible beneficiary of the contract entered into by you with Packlink to deliver the package on my behalf. As the sender of the parcel I was somebody who was intended to benefit under the parcel delivery contract. In breach of contract, you failed to exercise reasonable care and skill to deliver the package to the purchaser but instead have lost the package. Given the scanning history of the package, it is likely to have been misappropriated whilst in your custody – a failure to take reasonable care to avoid such misappropriation.   My Claim against Yodel I wish to claim the sum of £150.00 being the value of the goods lost by Yodel   Relevant documents I enclose copies of the following documents that are relevant to this matter: 1.    A screenshot of the eBay sale of the goods and the tracking notes.   Alternative dispute resolution I am prepared to consider ADR.   I  look forward to receiving confirmation that accept liability for these matters, together with a full settlement of my claim, within [21] days of the date of this letter, namely by [DATE].] [In the absence of a full response by that date, I will issue and serve proceedings without further notice. Yours faithfully,    
    • I didn't know I had to go to the US. Were you there recently, TOR? I'm not sure you've been to London recently either. We know some 'average Americans' and I've asked what they think about things today, as it happens.
    • The scammers were posing as young women online to trick people into sending sexually explicit material.View the full article
    • To even ask that question you clearly haven’t visited anywhere in the USA recently The cesspit that is SanFrancisco Venice beach that no one in their right mind would visit  The open drug taking, crime, zombies everywhere (reminds me of Khans London) The Texan border towns flooded with illegals (The sole responsibility of Harris) And that’s before we get onto world matters  One sniff of Harris in the White House  and China will be into Taiwan Endless tax dollars being thrown at Zelenskyy for what reason? To keep killing Ukrainians? The average American hates it  The barmy Biden/Harris rush to net zero  Perhaps as President Trump can knock that lunacy on the head worldwide 
    • Their fees can go up with different stages of enforcement. They will almost certainly have charged the creditor the first stage (compliance) of £90 including VAT. This will be added to your bill though. Then they are allowed to visit with a view to entering into an agreement with you. They may charge £190 plus VAT for this plus 7.5% of anything over the first £1000. A second visit would trigger an additional fee of £495 plus VAT. Finally, they can visit with a view to removing goods for sale. They can charge £525 plus VAT for this visit plus 7.5% of anything over the first £1000. Not sure if these figures match with anything you have. You would need to ask which fees have been added. You shouldn’t have to pay the VAT. Hopefully, it isn’t a major issue given you won’t be dealing with the bailiffs.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

major problem with Barclaycards takeover of EGG - advice needed

Niteeyez
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

I had a £5000 Egg credit card which i couldn't pay in 2008. I entered into a payment repayment plan and have paid it every month for over 3.5 years (never missed a payment). The card is now down to £3,200 and is cancelled. All was well until i received a letter from barclaycard saying that they wer etaking over Egg and that i was to no longer use my original payment number (didnt dd as don't trust it) and that i would have to use the 16 digit number on my statement and card.

Well i wont receive a card as i am on a repayment plan, nor will i receive statements because of this (it says so in the small, incredibly hard to find section on there website). No problem i thought and i decided to ring Barclays up to sort it out. This is where the problems have started. I have made over 3 hours worth of phone calls across 4 numbers and had an online chat. Every time i speak to someone i explain the situation and they then say "can we have the 16 digit number" even though i've explained the whole situation.

I sent a letter explaining my problems by recorded delivery 6 weeks ago and heard nothing.

I then phoned up and here is how it went:

I placed a call to 0844 811 9111, and was asked for my 16 digit number. I explained that I didn’t have a card number as I was a repayment plan with Egg, which has recently changed to Bcard and wanted an update as to the status of my account so I could make a payment. I was then asked for the number on my card. I again explained the situation, and was told to go into a branch and ask for a new card to be re-issued. I again re-explained the situation and was told that I would need to provide the card number to access my account. Unfortunately I explained my situation 5 times that I didn’t have a card number, wouldn’t be issued with a card as I was on a repayment plan, and hadn’t been sent a new one. I was then told the same thing. I actually explained very clearly on 5 occasion’s the situation and unfortunately the call operative I spoke to didn’t seem to understand the basic facts that:

I didn’t have a card

I didn’t have the 16 digit number

I wouldn’t be issued one as on a repayment plan

Eventually the operative agreed to take the Barclaycard account number I was given on the letter I received on the 22/02/2012, however after giving this, I was told I had no account?????

I then sent a second letter explaining everything and the above and again have heard nothing back.

This is getting really stupid, as i want to pay and no one will acknowledge my account exists or help. I am worried that 2-3 months down the line i am going to have the bailiffs turn up or get hit with massive non payment charges, and yet there is no way i can pay.

Anyone have any suggestions?

When you got the letter of assignment from Egg to Barclaycard did they give you a new reference number? Have you checked your credit file? If all else is failing I's suggest a SAR, however Im unsure if your should send this to Egg or Barclaycard perhaps someone else can advise?

The letter has an account no and sort code but no ref numbet. The letter says my ref will be on a statement, but havent had any. bcard say the account number doesnt exist.

Every call comes back to the 16 digit number and after over 3 hrs of calls im no closer

Hi Niteeyez and welcome to CAG

Tricky one really because you want to continue to pay but you need to ensure the payments get credited to the correct ex-Egg a/c.

I would write to Barclays London HQ briefly explaining the trouble you've had so far. Use a chronological list to show what dates and times you have called or written to them with a brief note of what was said each occasion.

Tell them your problem is really very simple and surely a global bank has the ability to issue you with a card account number or a payment reference number.

I would tell them they have 14 days to sort out this mess, after which you will assume they no longer require any payment. We'll review the position when this time is up. Send the complaint by Recorded Delivery.

Use this address:-

Barclays Bank PLC t/a Barclaycard

1 Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Niteeyez and welcome to CAG

Tricky one really because you want to continue to pay but you need to ensure the payments get credited to the correct ex-Egg a/c.

I would write to Barclays London HQ briefly explaining the trouble you've had so far. Use a chronological list to show what dates and times you have called or written to them with a brief note of what was said each occasion.

Tell them your problem is really very simple and surely a global bank has the ability to issue you with a card account number or a payment reference number.

I would tell them they have 14 days to sort out this mess, after which you will assume they no longer require any payment. We'll review the position when this time is up. Send the complaint by Recorded Delivery.

Use this address:-

Barclays Bank PLC t/a Barclaycard

1 Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

Thanks guys for the great info so far

Hi Niteeyez

I am having a similar bizarre out of body experience.

On one Egg account I changed token payment to BCard using the number they sent some months OK. Then they wrote to say payment was late, which it wasn’t, then they said this was an administrative error (I’ve never come across that before ).

On t’other Egg account they said nothing was showing but would I like to set up a SO (no thanks).

I then receive their standard [edited] letter saying they are investigating my complaint (which I have not yet made); my complaint being that Bob Diamond is not fit to run my local chippy for £12mill pa + his £5 mill tax bill.

I have ceased payments to Egg as instructed. I have ceased payment to BC until they cease harassment due to administrative errors; I have not commenced payment on an account that they deny exists. Once they become customer facing to me I shall ask them for a true CCA (which Egg could not produce) and a refund of unlawful charges and interest thereon (which I have kept as reserve ammo).

I hope this helps. Barclays Europe are not my favourite bank and have also acquired a Bank of America account (which they insist on calling MBNA) for which the account number has changed three times in two letters; so I ain’t paying that either.

[Edit] ‘em.

love

vic..

PS I hope their tax affairs are in order in this puzzle palace.

Edited by slick132
(nearly) swearing isn't needed :-)

Hi guys

A lil update. I received an email from BCard saying they had received a letter and to ring the number given in the email. Guess what? No number given in email (so poor). I emailed back twice saying "no number in email" and they havent responded. Really fed up with them now. if not heard back by Tuesday ill be writing to the headoffice with a major formal complaint.

You have done all you can - reply including their email and tell them you have stopped all payments until they can fix things.

Stop payments - wait to see who contacts you. If they are stroppy, forward them the email.

Hi Niteeyez,

Even if they gave you a number to call, you should not use it.

Simply email saying,

I have no need or desire to talk to anyone about this. Anything you need to say can be put in writing.

All I require from you is an account or reference number so I can continue to make payments to the ex-Egg account.

As said before, if you fail to do this within 14 days, I shall assume you no longer want any payments from me and are happy to completely write off the debt.

Speaking to them will normally lead to frustration and mis-information. You need a paper trail so there are clear records of events.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi guys, rang the number they eventually gave me, all they said was literally they couldnt tell me anything and because they've left it to long and its risen to a level 2 complaint which is dealt with elsewhere

Hi N

This is standard BCard. Please read 'The Iron Heel' by Jack London which explains Bob Diamond's tactics.

They use 'levels' to move things around; addresses changes, telephone numbers change, everything appears differently; why would one do this should there be a lawful right to reclaim a debt?

x

v

PS And if Bob's corporate tax affairs were in order?

Edited by victoria_siempre

• 3 weeks later...

I did something similar with my old disputed Egg account - I wrote giving them 28 days to reply, and if they didn't they were agreeing there was no valid CCA, all alleged debt would be written off, and they would ensure no negative references connected to the disputed account remained with any credit reference agencies. When they failed to reply, I instructed them to contact the agencies and that they would be liable for any financial loss I might suffer in the future as a result of their inaction....

They had one part chasing me for money, and ignored my comms with their head office. Oops! I'm now (two years later) looking at getting my credit records cleared.....

I have copies of my letters and their admission they've not replied, as last Jan I did a SAR and got copies of everything off them - no notification of raising credit levels, no explanation as to why my signature was only on an application, no replies to my August and September 2010 letters demanding a response and action (otherwise the dispute was settled as I stated).

Had three debt collection or solicitors letters - all never replied to my (rather agressive) response, accompanied by suitable evidence. I did threaten them with harassment and a complaint to the solicitors regulator, on the basis of the documentation I had, should they contact me again - other than to apologise for their errors and behaviour, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after 70 days + without hearing from them i wrote them a big 3 page letter saying i assume that payment is no longer required, along with copies of the emails and letters i have sent. It was sent recorded delivery & i stated that any correspondence should be sent recorded delivery as after:

14+ calls

3 letters recorded delivery

1 online chat

Email dialogue

71 days without response at time of letter- now 80+

And still nothing, that i wont be trying again!