• Tweets

• If you do get a letter of Claim and or Pre Action Protocol pack 15. Where there has been non-compliance with a pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction, the court may order that (a) the parties are relieved of the obligation to comply or further comply with the pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction; (b) the proceedings are stayed while particular steps are taken to comply with the pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction; (c) sanctions are to be applied. 16. The court will consider the effect of any non-compliance when deciding whether to impose any sanctions which may include— (a) an order that the party at fault pays the costs of the proceedings, or part of the costs of the other party or parties; (b) an order that the party at fault pay those costs on an indemnity basis; (c) if the party at fault is a claimant who has been awarded a sum of money, an order depriving that party of interest on that sum for a specified period, and/or awarding interest at a lower rate than would otherwise have been awarded; (d) if the party at fault is a defendant, and the claimant has been awarded a sum of money, an order awarding interest on that sum for a specified period at a higher rate, (not exceeding 10% above base rate), than the rate which would otherwise have been awarded. https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct   .
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
    • Thanks all! My wife was driving at the time (took our daughter to get new school uniform) and I wasn't there so I'm not sure what the signage was actually like, but yes, Parkopedia says 2:30, so it's barely over that. I will check it out with her when she gets home later, I haven't even told her about this yet as she'll probably be quite upset. So - likely my best response at this stage is to just wait it out until a Letter Before Claim arrives?
    • check mcol does it state DQ N180 sent to you? if it does then: https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5088148 3 copies yes to mediation (unless you filed our Statute Barred Defence OR this is a claim for a Private Parking Ticket) 1 wit you Suitability for determination without a hearing? no (that the issues are so complex they need to be argued orally') the rest is obv 1 to the court 1 to their sols (omit phone/sig/email) if no sols send to claimant 1 for your file   dx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Failure to notify. Another case!

Number6
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3871 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just want to check the current status.

Usual story - sent notification of disposal of vehicle to DVLA

Received Mags Court summons

Wrote to "The Prosecutor" stating I intend to plead not guilty and defend the case, seek to recover costs, etc.

Received reply from "The Prosecutor" saying it's my fault, they will proceed to prosecute the case but offer me "the opportunity" to have the case withdrawn if I pay them £55!

I'm not paying them anything! I will plead not guilty and attend the hearing.

In my defence I intend to quote the Interpretation Act and section 22 of The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002.

Is there anything else I should be preparing or doing?

Thanks for your help.

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the prosecutor starts on about their 'confirmation letter', ask what legislation requires them to send one, or you to do anything if you don't receive one.

Another ploy of theirs is to say that you did not 'deliver the document to the secretary of state as required by the regulations' ask how do you do that other than posting the document to DVLA at Swansea.

Thanks Raykay. Will do.

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

• 3 weeks later...

I attended court on Thursday. Was accosted by the DVLA prosecutor who asked me a couple of questions. I just gave him a blank stare.

Anyway, I entered my not guilty plea and the trial is set for 24th May.

Any tips, apart from the obvious, about how to approach setting out my defence?

The 'claims' by the prosecutor often are "you are guilty because":

"You didn't chase up the confirmation letter" - as above, you don't have to.

"You cannot prove it was delivered" - you don't have to - s.7 Interpretation Act 1978.

"The Interpretation Act doesn't apply in this case" - it does - s. 7 Interpretation Act 1978 covers it quite well:

'Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression “give” or “send” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post', especially or any other expression is used . They give a postal address so they require it to be sent by post.

"You did not deliver the document to the Secretary of State as requirede by the regulations" - on the V5C, the instructions on page 2 and on the back of parts 9 & 10 are that you must return the relevant document to DVLA at Swansea when you notify any changes. The DVLA is an Executive Agency of the Department for Transport, so by sending a document to DVLA you have, in effect, delivered it as required.

Thanks for the advice Raykay.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again

I'm up before the bench on Thursday afternoon (if anyone wants to come and watch, you're welcome) and, having never been before the mags before I wonder if anyone can advise me of the procedure and what I should do?

I am preparing a small bundle of documents to take with me as requested by the Clerk at my plea hearing - should I prepare just two sets, i.e. one for me and one for the bench as a whole, or should I provide a set for each of the three magistrates and the prosecutor?

What will happen at the court. I know I have to present myself a half hour or so before the allotted time, but what will happen then? Will I hand my bundle over to the Clerk? Do I take it into court with me?

When I'm called in for trial, any pointers as to how things will proceed?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Oh, one more thing - What would it be reasonable to ask for in recompense for my costs when I win?

i will bet my house you will get a phone call from the DVLA prosecutor tomorow

he will ask about your defence then he will withdraw the summons

that what happened with me after i refused to be bullied by them

i take it this is a magistrates court

Yes, Magistrates.

OK, we'll see :-)

What had you prepared for the hearing though? Just in case it all goes through to hearing.

You may find that the prosecutor will speak to you before you actually go into court and and again offer to drop the case if you make a settlement payment. If you refuse that, they may ask you what your defence is and try to rufute it, if they realise that you know what you are talking about and are prepared to go into court, they often drop the prosecution - they are well aware of the ramifications if the bench are made aware of validity of the defences to their claims, and don't want anyone letting the cat out of the bag, which could result in a string of not guilty verdicts and an end to their money making racket for rest of the day!!!

Just remember:

There is no legal requirement to do anything about their acknowledgement letter.

You don't have to prove the document was received - they have to prove you didn't send it.

You delivered the document to the Secretary of State by sending to to DVLA at Swansea.

Thanks Raykay.

I'd still like to prepare my documentation correctly though, just in case it's needed. I could do with some advice how I should do this. Anyone?

Thanks Raykay.

I'd still like to prepare my documentation correctly though, just in case it's needed. I could do with some advice how I should do this. Anyone?

I haven't had a hearing like this, but when I took a travel company to court I prepared three of everything. One for me, one for the opposition and one for the court. I won... L

That's my thinking too. But there are three Magistrates so I'm wondering if I should prepare a copy for each Magistrate?

That's my thinking too. But there are three Magistrates so I'm wondering if I should prepare a copy for each Magistrate?

Yes if you want to... But they can share if need be. In criminal cases mags quite often share case notes. Up to you...and your budget/time.

Just back from Court 5.

I lost!

The magistrates had sympathy with me but decided that in the strict interpretation of the law I did not "deliver" the document.

I asked for, and was granted leave to appeal.

What does the panel suggest I do next? Any thoughts?

All that the magistrate said was that "while they have sympathy for my case they have to apply the law". He went on to say that the strict interpretation of the word "deliver" means to "hand over to another party". He said nothing else.

Even the DVLA guy agreed with me that I posted it, I have a witness to the fact but apparently merely posting it is not good enough!

I'm not happy as you can imagine. I have 21 days to consider appealing. Problem with appealing is that I would have to get a solicitor or barrister to represent me and I simply can't afford that along with the risk of costs being awarded against me if I still go on to lose.

Another question is - do I appeal the conviction or do I go to the Divisional Court to appeal on a point of law?

I'm thinking of getting local / national media involved. Good idea or maybe counter productive if I intend to appeal?

I know an appeal against conviction will be at the Crown Court, but my question is should I appeal the conviction? - in which case it will effectively be a retrial, or do I appeal it to the divisional court on a point of law?

Appeals to the High Court

Where you consider that either the Magistrates' Court or Youth Court, or the Crown Court when hearing your appeal, have made an error of law, acted in excess of their jurisdiction or failed to exercise their jurisdiction in deciding your case, you can appeal on a point of law to the Divisional Court of the High Court. This is done by way of asking the lower court to 'state a case' for the Divisional Court's consideration.

The latter course would not involve a retrial but OTOH I won't be able to re-present my evidence.

OK, that's an interesting thread :-)

Well Mr John Dyson (DVLA Prosecutor), I hope you are reading this thread and I look forward to meeting you in the Crown Court for the appeal hearing as soon as possible!

As with the Paul Kennedy case I am happy to 'chip in' something towards any unrecovered Appeal Costs.

In apealing the conviction it will be at a higher Court than today's, before a professional Judge (not lay Magistrates) and, most importantly to everyone, when successful that becomes a legal precedent binding on all equal and lower Courts.

For that last reason alone you will be subjected to much fishing, offers and bartering by DVLA to avoid the Appeal being heard and ruled upon. Read about how they 'withdrew' when Paul went into the Courtroom, thereby avoiding a Judge setting a precedent.

Scandalous. This must be brought to an end.

"Don't make any deals with them. Don't be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered."

You will have much support from here.

Thanks for the reply Tony. I have followed the advice in my sig all the way so far and have no intention of giving up now.

Reading Paul's thread it doesn't seem like he employed a barrister or solicitor - do you know if this is the case? He was LIP all the way?