problem with deferment of pre 1998 loans with SLC

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, This is my first post and I hope you can help me. It has been very interesting reading everyones problems with their loans. At least I am not alone!

My problem is that I have 3 loans with SLC (1995, 1996, 1997) which I have always been granted deferment on since graduating as I care, full time, for my disabled son.

This year they have refused deferment, no reason given, yet my circumstances and income from Carers allowance and Child tax credit remain unchanged. My partner had to supply a third party support letter this year for the first time, but he receives child tax credits and dependants carers allowance through me. He also has student loans but with HSL and is at present receiving deferment for his loans due to our low income. Even adding his benefit to mine (which totals about £1400 every 4 weeks) we receive well beolw the £2311 limit set.

Does anyone know why this has happened and what I should do about it?

I have initiated a complaint (complaints procedure) via email about it yesterday and thought I should ring them on Tuesday to query this problem. Wondered whether CAB would be any help too!

Any advise or suggestions very gratefully received.

Only difference with deferment this year was that I changed my name to my married name and bank details changed also.

Thanks.