Just want a car that works!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, and I hope you may be able to give me some advice...

I bought a 2nd hand car (Toyota Celica, 04, 82k) in March this year from a dealer in Lyneham. It was £3695 and I paid £1500 deposit, they took my old L reg Celica in 'part x' and gave me 6 months worth of tax for it.

The car was wonderful....until the week of hot weather we've just had, then it started overheating and no heat was coming through the vents into the car.

Straight away I rang the dealer and explained what had happened. He said as there was 3 months warranty he could repair if I got the car to him (38 miles away), I told him the car would not drive that far. He then said to take it to my local garage and ask them to diagnose and then call him back. This was done, and he agreed to pay for the faulty thermostat to be repaired by the garage, who after removing the said item, noticed it had been, as they put it, professionally bodged.

Great. Sorted. Not.

The next day, car overheated, no heat through vents again. Took it back to the garage and they diagnosed a faulty radiator, and also a quote for work. I called the trader again and he again said I needed to get it to him (RAC/AA) at my expense, and that he did not supply courtesy cars ( I have 3 kids, one is disabled. I NEED a car). He refused to pay the amount they had quoted, saying he could get it done there for half the price - yes, but I can't get the car to you, I said. He suggested using my breakdown cover - they won't collect the car from home and take it further than 20 miles. Ok, he said, drive it and then call them. I asked him if he would be willing to pay for and repair any further problems that may occur while I'm driving. No, because I know I shouldn't be driving it! Stale mate. I suggested a compromise. He pay parts, I pay the labour (which was more), and I get it done at my local garage. He happily agreed to this.

Great. Sorted. Not.

Two days later, I now have water leaking from 'somewhere'.....and no heat through the vents ;rolls eyes....

After taking back to my garage they have agreed to take the car in after Easter and remove the new radiator to check for leaks. If the new rad is faulty - no prob as their supplier will have to send another. If it's something else? What can I do? The trader is obviously going to dig in his heels and be just as unhelpful as before. I don't want to give the car back....I just want to be able to drive it without worrying that something else is going to go wrong.

Do I HAVE to get it back to the dealer at my expense, taking into account that I have children, am single, and the dealer is over an hour away, and I have no way of getting to and from him without a car? Can I insist that it's repaired locally to me, considering he doesn't supply courtesy cars? Do I have a leg to stand on?

I apologise for the long post, but just wanted to get all details out

Thank you

Toyota Celica--3kids with one disabled???????????????

Why not get a car that better suits your NEEDS---Motability may provide you with one since your child is disabled.

Suggest that you reject this car under SOGA.

Wow.

Thanks for the reply, but I asked for advice, I don't particularly care what your thoughts are on the car I choose to own, seeing as you have no idea what disability my child has.

As my child is 11 years old I think I have enough knowledge concerning disability aids to know whether or not Motability could provide or help with the cost of a vehicle.

I honestly thought the people on this site were helpful, not judgemental. I know now not to bother asking advice on this site again.

Your rite, your choice of car to suit what you want is up to you and just cos you have children should make no difference.

Don't tar everyone on this site with the same brush as most on here are willing to jump in with both feet and help.

I no if you have a look through a few posts to do with cars and traders youl find a lot of options on what you can do. If memory serves then I think it's something like soga (sale of goods act) they may give you your options but if I'm wrong then there's plenty of people on here who will no all the answers.

Please bare in mind it's Easter weekend so a lot of people probably won't be on till later on this evening.

And a Happy Easter to you.

Your reply goes a long road to reinforcing my original thoughts when i read your first post--immature and attention seeking! It is also difficult to comprehend why it takes over an hour to return a sports car to the dealer who is only 38miles away.

I did offer advice ie SOGA, but what i didn't offer was sympathy, as i didn't consider your post warranted it.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, a motor trader is obliged to rectify defects in a customers car, mostly within 6 months of purchase. It would be up to him to prove that said defects were not present at point of sale.

Again, under this act, the trader must be given ample opportunity to rectify defects. If they fail to do so then you are free to reject the car and ask for your money back.

It is not incumbent upon motor dealers to provide free recovery to customers in the event of a breakdown, surely this is not what you were implying? Dealers are not responsible for your domestic situation hence i offered my advice of a Motability car if possible. A motability car would cover you in almost any situation.

I did not wish to appear to be judgemental. As a young lad i ran all the flash cars as far as my income would allow, but on starting to breed, it soon became abundantly clear that my mode of transport would be the Estate Car for the foreseeable future--common sense!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't quite understand how you come to the conclusion that I am immature or attention seeking. That implies everyone who asks for advice is that way also. You did not have to reply to my thread, but was obviously too tempting for you to ignore....maybe you were not 'on target' for your usual daily quota of insults. I did not ask for sympathy, nor do I require it from anyone. I asked for constructive advice, not insults. You say you did not wish to appear judgemental, but you certainly are, just as you are rude. I am also not interested in the vehicles you have chosen to own and why you chose to own them, just as I would have thought you would not be interested in the cars I have owned, or chosen to own, or my reasons for owning them. That was not the point of my original thread.

Please do not waste my time, or yours. It really is not worth it.

If you feel a need to post something that may get you in trouble, back away from the keyboard and cool off. Oxengirl is just asking for help. What is the latest news Oxengirl?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers