The Gym Group and their deceiving cancellation process!!

fifiuk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Today I was going through my personal online account and noticed that the Gym Group, where I was a member, were still taking money out of my account, even though I cancelled with them on the 5 January 2012.

I emailed and called and they told me that their online cancellation procedure is not actually a cancellation procedure, its a survey and that it tells you at the bottom of the screen to cancel with the bank.

When you go to cancel your membership it states very clearly 'cancel membership / freeze membership' and it doesn't say anywhere that it is a survey.; so I clicked cancel membership and followed the steps, again, nowhere did it say that it was a survey. They didn't have an answer for this but went onto say that I should have read the information at the bottom of the screen, and because it is not their fault they will not be refunding the money.

This is outrageous. I have since emailed their complaints department, but if anyone has any advice please let me know.

The thing is, when you see cancellation you assume once you have completed the form that it will be cancelled.

Hi Fifi and welcome to CAG.

This isn't something I've heard of before but, if you read other threads here, you'll see that nothing would surprise us about gyms and their behaviour.

Cancel the DD mandate with your bank immediately.

If the gym refuses to refund the fees taken after you cancelled, you could take court action to reclaim the money.

See how your complaint goes first and we'll help you if necessary.

It would be useful if you could go back through the cancellation procedure and take screen shots of the process using the "Print Screen" capture thingy on your computer. Then you'll have evidence of the procedure being unclear.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hello Slick132,

Thanks for your reply. I have cancelled the DD and I will take your suggestion and print screen of each stage of the cancellation process. If the letter is not successful i will proceed to small claims court, I know its only a small amount of money but it is the principle and they are deceiving people and I am sure this is not the first time that this has happened.

Hi Fifi,

I didn't ask earlier, was there a contract in place with a minimum m/ship period. If so were you beyond that period.

Once you've gathered your "evidence" and saved it, you need to put your points in writing to the Gym stating:-

1. When you cancelled.

2. Why their cancellation system is flawed and misleading.

3. The amounts taken by through DD system which they need to refund.

4. You will also seek a refund of these payments through the Direct Debit Guarantee.

5. You will report this to Trading Standards.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hello Slick132,

To answer your question, no, I could cancel when I liked it was a PAYG type gym. However, when I cancelled I had already paid for the month I cancelled in. So I don't owe them anything.

Your so kind. I already emailed them with the points that you raised, however, I didn't add the screen shots of there cancelling procedure. This is something I could do once I get feedback, if it is not the reply I am looking for.

F

Hi Fifi,

Knowing gyms and their admin companies as we do, I do not expect the gym to co-operate with your cancellation.

The reason for getting the screen shots now is in case they review and alter the system. So do this asap. Do not tell them you are saving this evidence.

Let us know how they respond.

Hi Slick,

Yesterday, after I read your message I went onto their site and low and behold I couldn't get into the members area like I could the day before. it now shows that my membership is cancelled? Interesting???

Hmmm, that's annoying.

As you can't now get the screen shots, can you make brief notes about what you did to cancel and why you feel you were misled. Keep these for future use if needed.

Did you do anything else at the time you "cancelled" in early Jan using their online system. Eg, did you phone or email them to discuss or confirm your wish to cancel.

:wink: