Home insurance claim - some advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning,

This is my first post here so hello all!

I have a buildings insurance claim ongoing for my flat to replace the laminate floor as a result of a leak from above.

The laminate floor has been laid as one piece throughout the flat. The building insurance company have agreed to replace the floor but say 'we cannot be responsible for the replacement of laminate flooring throughout the entirety of your flat as these other areas are unaffected.' therefore I assume they want to put a bridging bar to divide the rooms. I find this unacceptable because this would not leave my flat in the state it was before the incident, moreover I am unable to walk at the moment so I would find this inconvenient.

I find the insurance companies offer unacceptable but would like any suggestions on how I proceed with this.

Thank you

O

A personal thought, they would be liable only for the damaged area and to bring that back to the condition it was. Especially if there is any wear to the other areas, any replacement would be classed as betterment. That's just my own thinking, of course it would also depend on what the policy terms and conditions say.

Conniff is right to a point, it is betterment, but a home policy is sold as a policy of betterment, new for old, like for like etc.

The insurers can repair, if lets say a couple of boards can be replaced without effecting the asthetic of the rest, but if they can't they need to replace all. If you have no door bars, the whole lot needs to be replaced, they cannot choose to put in door bars, they can't change your room look because it's cheaper for them. They wouldn't be doing this if it was a carpet.

A lot will depend on your layout, if you have door divides, steps etc, then that is considered a break and it can stop there.

Have they been out or are they just setting out the rules in their first letter?

You could always phone the FOS to see how they would deal with this. They might ask you to read the policy wording. This situation often occurs in relation to kitchens or bathroom, where only one part is damaged. The FOS would not normally expect the Insurers to payout for undamaged areas, but they have been known to ask Insurers to make a 50% contribution.

In this situation, after you have sought advice about what FOS would normally expect, you could approach the Insurers for a cash settlement. Using this, you might be able to obtain the flooring cheaper and get someone to fit it. This is what I have seen people do, when they have been in this situation. With the cash settlement, they have been able to shop around and get the whole area fitted with new flooring.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Wow, three replies :smile:

@ Conniff. The policy summary of cover states the sum insured is the Full reinstatement value and the basis of settlement is ' reinstatement or repair without deduction for wear, tear & deprecation'. Also there isn't any wear & tear anywhere else.

@ Mwynci. The flat is all one level with a door bar leading to the bathroom. There are no other breaks or door divides in the property. Yes, they have been out to asses the damage and they did comment on this issue!

@unclebulgaria67. I think i'll contact the insurance company to see what their stance is & if they are not budging ill contact FOS.

THANKS A LOT GUYS

ILL BE BACK SOON!

My insurer said their final stance is to put a door bar to divide the rooms. :-x I told them i'm not happy with this as the floor will not be in the same state it was before the loss and furthermore this result will not be sufficient to my needs so I put forward a complaint to my insurance company initially as advised by the fos......