• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Question for friend re questionnaires for HSBC and Egg

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine has asked me to find out what to do about the questionnaires he has been sent from Egg and HSBC.

He was self-employed and had loans with both Egg and HSBC on which PPI was paid. Initially he phoned both organisations to complain about PPI and they have sent a letter of acknowledgement. He had SARed them in between phoning them and their letter arriving. He is still waiting for his statements but well within the time frame for that.

Yesterday he has received questionnaires from both of them and is unsure of what to do.

Should he complete these or wait for the statements?

If he is to complete them is there a guide on completing them/any tips?

Are the questionnaires just a delay tactic or relevant?

Please help!

Hi

Personally I would wait for the statements so that he can prepare a spreadsheet of claim to submit to each lender.

Also I wouldn't use their questionnaires, I would go to the fos website and download their copy and use that...one for each lender. You never know if the bank have changed the wording slightly so it it weighted in their favour.

The questionnaire is just filled in with the answers and if you wish to give more detail on nay question just do it in a separate piece of paper and attach it to the questionnaire when the claim is submitted.

ims

Thank you!

The letter of acknowledgement from Egg stated that they could not find a record for this account and their records do not go back further than 6 years etc (although it had an account number and ref number on the first page of the letter) These are both closed accounts.

Should he be worried as he didn't have account number for the Egg account but gave all relevant info on the SAR (ie previous address, full name)?

On closed accounts they need to keep records for six years after the closure....when was the account closed?

Some banks say they don't keep records beyond six years but there are reported cases where data going back further has been supplied when pressed.

If you don't have an account number all you can do is supply the address(es) relevant to when the card was active and full name.

Has the 40 days for compliance expired yet?

ims

The Egg account was closed in Dec 2003 :( They have somehow managed to come up with the account number and know the figures related to the account. They did tell him on the phone that he might pay the £10 and send his SAR and wait 8 weeks and they would still probably not be able to give him any info.

He sent the SARs a week ago. I just wondered whether the fact that the fact that they are long closed affects his claim :(

He needs to see if they can give him the PPI figures. In the absence of those figures it will not be possible to prepare his own schedule of amounts due back.

If that information is not available the best he can do is put in a speculative claim without a spreadsheet and see what they offer.

Sadly the passage of time may be a problem

ims

• 1 month later...

Right I'm back! :)

My mate has had an offer for £2500 from HSBC and finally received his data from them.

He has passed the info to me to check with you.

So

Loan 1 was for £3k, PPI was £701.06 for 60 months APR was 14.9%

Loan 2 was for £4k, PPI was £946.21 for 60 months "

Loan 3 was for £7500 PPI was £1774.14 for 60 months

They say that PPI was refunded for £190.01, £608.06 and £1602.54 although he has no recollection of any refunds.

I know I need to do a spreadsheet. I'm guessing the Stat one. Thick question time, do I divide say for loan 1, the £3k and the £701.06 by 60 for the spread sheet?

Loan 1 ran from Feb 01 to July 03 and Loan 2 started July 03 and ran to June 04, loan 3 started June 04 and ran its course I think. So it looks like the loans ran into each other.

Help! How do we work this out?

(waits patiently for White Knight Ims to ride in on his steed) :lol:

Erm

Steed and white knight have arrived :lol:

Have you read the item at No.1 in my signature? Tells you how to do it.

If you still have probs just shout here

ims

Ok I am back!

I've read through no. 1 on your sig but my heads battered!

On the loan progression sheet, although loan 1 was supposed to run for 60 months, it actually only ran for 26 months before loan 2 started.

So do I put 60 months or 26 months?

Also for amount of loan in the yellow box, do I put £3000 or the amount including interest and the PPI?

:???:

Hi

Of course I'll help :-)

Make sure you have the two spreadsheets...StatIntSheetV101.xls and LoanAnalysis.xls.

Loan 1 was for £3,701.06 with PPI of £701.06. So PPI is 18.94% of the total loan. That means that 18.94% of each monthly repayment was for PPI. So work out that figure.

In the StatIntSheet, list each of these amounts giving the date, a description and the amount for the 26 payments made.

We now need to work out what amount of PPI was rolled into loan 2.

In the LoanAnalysis sheet enter the amount of loan as £3,701.06, the term as 60 and whatever the total monthly payment was. Read down the left hand column to payment No.26 and see what the loan balance is that is showing in the right hand column. 18.94% of that balance is for the PPI part of the loan so work out what 18.94% of it is and make a note of it. They say that a rebate of £190.01 was given on settlement so deduct £190.01 from the figure you have just calculated. This is the amount rolled into loan 2.

When you've done all that, shout here with the rollover figure you get.

ims

Thank you for that my White Knight! :)

I'm going to have to start on it in the morning as my eyes are strained (it's been one of those weeks so far and it's only Tuesday!)

Fresh eyes and a fresh brain for me in the morning and I will be back on it! :)

Hello!

Right here is the Stat sheet so far, is this right? In the 'From' box it seems to want to put a % figure. Do I put a date here or a %? They give the % of the APR as being 14.9% or do I put the 18.94%?

Also the figure of remaining PPI from Loan 1 is £265.03

StatIntSheet v101-steph.xls

Hi

You have an older copy of the spreadie..it has been fixed so in yours just change the format of that cell to "Date" and it will be fine.

So if £16.25 is 18.94% of the monthly repayment then yes, your entries are correct.

So the rollover amount of PPI to loan 2 is £265.03.

Loan 2 total amount is £4,946.21 so as a percentage, 265.03 is 5.36% of that loan. This means that 5.36% of every payment you made on loan 2 was for the loan 1 PPI.

In addition, loan 2 had its own PPI of £946.21 which is 19.13% of the total.

So work out what 5.36% of the monthly payment is and list those payments in the spreadsheet. Then work out what 19.13% of the total monthly payment was and list those in the sheet too. As the loan ran from July2003 to June 2004 you should end up with about 12 of each.

So now we need to work out the rollover from loan 2 to loan 3 and you use the Loan Analysis sheet to do this. Enter £4,946.21 as the loan amount, the term amount and the monthly repayment. As before, look up the balance after the number of payments actually made. Work out what 5.36% and 19.13% of this balance is and make a note of each figure. From the 19.13% result, deduct the rebate received and you will have the rollover figures from loan 2 to loan 3.

When you've done that, shout here.

ims