Rejecting a car after it developed a bad odour?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I purchased a used Focus (58 plate) from a main dealer at the end of October 2011, and recently it's started smelling of smoke, neither me or my partner smoke or anyone we know smokes, and we don't let anyone in the car who smokes, so it must have been the previous owner, and the dealership tried to cover it up with some odour eliminator or something. If I'd smelt it when I went to buy it, I would have instantly rejected the car!

The bumper's paint has started peeling, and I just found out it's had a respray on the bonnet and the front bumper.

Is this good grounds for rejecting the car? You just can't get rid of smoke odour from vehicles, and now it's getting sunny it's terrible.

Thanks

Gavin

Edited by GavChap

Nothing on earth will cover up the smell of smoke for nearly 5 months.

The bunper peeling is just life on a 4 yo + car.

And the fact that it's had cosmetic paintwork doesn't make it a bad car... nearly every car on the road has had paintwork somewhere or other.

So I think you'll struggle, but be lucky........

Nothing on earth will cover up the smell of smoke for nearly 5 months.

The bunper peeling is just life on a 4 yo + car.

So I think you'll struggle, but be lucky........

Smoke, something was covering it up! Because recently in the hot weather it's been stinking.

Sorry, but it's not just life, I've had several cars previously of around or greater than 4 years old, and bumper peeling was NOT an issue on any of them. My other car is a 2006 Honda Civic, and not a hint of bumper peeling, and it's used more than the Focus. It shouldn't do it!

Smoke, something was covering it up! Because recently in the hot weather it's been stinking.

Sorry, but it's not just life, I've had several cars previously of around or greater than 4 years old, and bumper peeling was NOT an issue on any of them. My other car is a 2006 Honda Civic, and not a hint of bumper peeling, and it's used more than the Focus. It shouldn't do it!

I've got a 12 year old Punto (from new) and the paint aint peeling off that!

The obvious question I would be asking the dealer is if it has been involved in an accident. In relation to the odour, i'm sure that a good valet by the dealer will cure that.