• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Chandlers bailiff/CTAX - got relative to pay MY DEBT on their Card - lots of charges too

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI ALL not sure where to post this thread

i had a liability order issued against me in november 2009 ,

in july 2011 i received a hand delivered letter from chandlers bailiffs to which i acted promptly following advice from this site ,

i managed to get council to take the debt back and a payment plan in place as i was classed as vulnerable ,

i fell behind by a few weeks with my payment plan ,

i contacted the council a few weeks after i fell behind offering to increase weekly repayments to which they replied the matter has been passed back to bailiffs

and i would have to deal with them, they also stated that bailiff had sent 2 letters to me dated other than the original letter , i have NEVER received these said letters

on 19 march a bailiff attended my property with letter in hand stating he wanted £568

my wife unavoidably allowed him entry he levied upon goods and on another form he handed my wife it states

TAKE NOTICE THAT BY VIRTUE OF A LO ISSUED MY MAGISTRATES COURT ON 09/11/2011

AND WITH AUTHORITY OF SWALE COUNCIL

I HAVE THIS DAY ATTENDED THE PREMISES TO SEIZE AND DISTRAIN UPON GOODS FOR SUM OF £363 BEING COUNCIL TAX OWING

FURTHER TAKE NOTICE THAT UNLESS THE AMOUNTS SPECIFIED ARE PAID INTO THIS OFFICE IN FULL THE GOODS WILL BE REMOVED

on the reverse of this list he has listed various items in my living room and underneath this list has written GOODS SEIZED

and on the walking posession agreement bit has written VOID right across it

the breakdown of the £568.45 he wanted is as follows

AMOUNT DUE COUNCIL TAX £363.95

LEVY FEE £37.00

ATTENDANCE £167.50

TOTAL OUTSTANDING £568.45

i borrowed the money to pay debt in full ,

it was paid via a credit card to which a 2.5% charge was added ,

could any of you guys advise if i can claim any of these charges back if so how to go about it

THANKING ALL YOU GUYS IN ANTICIPATION

if you are vunerable the council should not have passed it back to the baikiffs at aLL.

so there should not be ANY additonal charges for ANY bailiff action

write and complaint to the CEO of the council.

pers i'd cancel via chargeback the payment made

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/visa-debit-chargeback/

and do it again by your online internet banking site to the COUNCIL.

if you can ever pay NEVER PAY A BAILFF.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thanks dx is there any template letters onhere as to how to word the letter of complaint , im not sure i cand do a chargebck or not as it was a relatives card , if i had been at home at the time he would never have got in , i cant understand why my wife even shut our alsation dog out of the way , it doesnt take too kindly to strangrs lol

you have written here exactly what you need to tell tthe ceo already

you are vuerable, the account should never had beenn passed to a baliff

as for the chargeback

whomever the card belongs to need to do it

he should NEVER have suggested that in the first place!!

thats what they need to quote as tyhe reason for the chargeback too

complain about that too!!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

yes dx i have been on before but as i defaulted on the arrangement i had with council to take back from bailiff in 1st plce i not sure how to go about getting any charges back or if im entitled to any charges to be refunded , if i was personally at home rather than my wife tha bailiff would never have gained entry no matter what

ive had a word with cardholder & they are a bit reluctant to do a chargeback if i cant convince them how else would i get these extortionate fees back ,and who from

so sorry to be a pain

Why would they be reluctant to do a chargeback? It makes no sense. The money was taken illegally and they are allowing it to happen? I could be wrong, but it sounds like theres more to this that we know.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

matters not it should NEVER have been given to the bailiffs again you are still vunerable!

wonder if you can sue the council here too

dx

and they

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

You also need a proper breakdown of the charges applied. Here's an example of what to use, send initially by email followed by a copy in the post:

"From:

My Name

My Address

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

There do appear to be inconsistencies with the charges from what you say. Chargebacks for Bailiff fees are not quite straightforward as even the "payment under duress" can be suspect. Were you also advised there would be fee to pay if paying by card.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You also need a proper breakdown of the charges applied. Here's an example of what to use, send initially by email followed by a copy in the post:

"From:

My Name

My Address

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

There do appear to be inconsistencies with the charges from what you say. Chargebacks for Bailiff fees are not quite straightforward as even the "payment under duress" can be suspect. Were you also advised there would be fee to pay if paying by card.

PT

hi pt in small print of the notice of seizure it does state a 2.5% charge for using a credit card , ive emailed council for the information also chandlers too , hard copies will be in post to them first thing recorded delivery too , will be in touch on here as soon as i have information in hand , thanks guys looking forward to the best advice i can get on here

You also need a proper breakdown of the charges applied. Here's an example of what to use, send initially by email followed by a copy in the post

"From:

My Name

My Address

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Dear Sir

This includes:

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

PT

hi pt ive sent the emails , copies to be sent in post 1st thing recorded delivery would i be correct in saying a levy fee cannot be charged on same day as an attendance fee , which one would i claim back if so ,

hi pt ive sent the emails , copies to be sent in post 1st thing recorded delivery would i be correct in saying a levy fee cannot be charged on same day as an attendance fee , which one would i claim back if so ,

A Levy must come first, but only if valid. If not valid then levy fee and all associated charges must be removed. All the more reason to list all the items listed on the Notice of Seizure.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi pt

ive had a reply from chandlers

i can either copy and paste on here omitting personal datails such as names etc

or can pm it to you lso omitting personal info such as names of bailiffs etc ,

they say they visited me on 2 dates prior to the date all this happened but surely they would have left letter on each occasion ,

which they most certainly have not ,

if so i would of acted before now ,

the items they listed on levy are

1 light wood dining table + 4 chairs ,

1 flat screen tv of which they have brand wrong ,

1 glass tv stand ,

2 brown armchairs ,

1 x 3 seater sofa brown leather ,

1 brown wooden unit ,

1 hi fi system ,

to be honest tv is on hp through a friend ie they bought it i pay them the payments also glass stand too i can prove this too

as for 2 visits prior to now there has been no letters etc left by them , what do i do now

post here so everyone can help

and readers in future wanting help by reading threads can see the info

dx

and they

Thank you for your email

Please see a breakdown of your account as requested.

On the 17/01/12 Chandlers Limited received the liability order from Swale Borough Council with a balance of £363.95. A letter was sent on this day to your premises.

On the 09/02/12 the Certificated Bailiff Mr B attended your premises with the intention to levy distress. For this visit you incurred a charge of £24.50.

On the 13/03/12 the Certificated Bailiff Mr C attended your premises with the intention to levy distress. For this visit you incurred a charge of £18.00.

Despite these visits being made, no attempt was received from you to pay the outstanding balance or to discuss your account.

This resulted in your account entered the enforcement stage and being passed to the Certificated Bailiff Mr D

On the 19/03/12 Mr D attended the premises in order to recover the liability order obtained and collect the outstanding balance in full.

When Mr D attended your premises he levied upon goods as per the current law and legislation. For this you incurred a charge of £37.00.

When Mr D attended your premises he attended with a vehicle in order to remove goods. For this you incurred a charge of £125.00.

On the same day you made a payment of £569.45 which cleared the account in full.

All our fees are added as per Schedule 3,5 Regulations 14/39/45 Charges Connected with Distress.

Our Bailiffs are certificated at Bromley County Court, College Road Bromley BR1 3PX.

Regards

there has been no person or persons visiting my property on 9th feb or 13th march and surely if i was out they would have left some form of paperwork in letterbox which they most certainly havent

the items they listed on levy are

1 light wood dining table + 4 chairs ,

1 flat screen tv of which they have brand wrong ,

1 glass tv stand ,

2 brown armchairs ,

1 x 3 seater sofa brown leather ,

1 brown wooden unit ,

1 hi fi system ,

to be honest tv is on hp through a friend ie they bought it i pay them the payments also glass stand too i can prove this too

as for 2 visits prior to now there has been no letters etc left by them , what do i do now

With regards to the seating they have listed - if removed would you have any seating left and in particular you need 1 seat per person including children. As for the rest:

Dining table - only worth seizing if made of solid wood otherwise no value

Brown wooden unit - suspect of little value

Hi Fi - how old is it, is it top of the range - if only "Tesco" own brand then again no value

TV & Stand - if on HP copies of the documents must be sent to the Bailiffs making a 3rd Party Claim

The balance of any seating not required by a family member as explained above could still be included within the levy but will probably hold little value and must conform to Regulations for labelling etc.

I would therefore argue that the goods that were levied on had little value and will not if removed:

1 - cover all the Bailiffs costs

2 - cover the costs of removal & storage

3 - cover the costs of the auction

4 - cover the Auctioneers fees

5 - any remainder to cover part of the debt owing

In my view the Bailiff should have returned this as Nulla Bona - insufficient goods - and only made a levy in order to gain a financial advantage for himself and his Company.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi all , who would i complain to and how would i go about reclaiming these illegal and extortionate charges , surely he cant claim charges for a van he uses for his everyday work , is there any template letters etc on here i could use to set the ball rolling

thank you everyone for the help so far

Enforcement agents will on each and every occasion when a visit is made to a debtor's property which incurs a fee for the debtor, leave a notice detailing the fees charged to date, including the one for that visit, and the fees which will be incurred if further action becomes necessary. If a written request is made an itemised account of fees will be provided.

The above is taken from the National Standards for Enforcement Agents and every Council & Enforcement Co are signed up to abide by these. Their usual retort when quoting bits at them is "they are only guidelines and not law" - a classic case of wanting their cake and eating it at the same time.

To start the ball rolling you need to write to the Bailiffs first challenging their fees and the levy in particular. As far as him charging for both a levy and an attendance fee you need to remind them of Anthony Culligan v Jason Simkin & Marstons heard before DJ Advent in September 2008, part of what the Judge said is:

2. The Fee Regulations provide for a distinction between the levying of distress and removal of goods. There is a gap between the two stages. The purpose of this "gap" is to allow the debtor to make payment of what is due after the first stage.

Whilst it is true the above case was to do with Parking Offence the reference made holds good for Council Tax. Therefore the Attendance Fee must be removed.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi pt firstly i would like to thank you for all your help also everyone else involved on here too i found a template letter online and adjusted it to suit i have posted it here i will also begin the process of challenging chandlers fees too

furtherto an email from mr x dated 27/02/ 2012 stating chandlers bailiffs havevisited my property on 2 occasions namely 17/01/2012 and 19/02/2012 , there hasbeen no evidence of chandlers or any representative of theirs visiting myproperty on either of these occasions ,therefore the bailiff cannot charge formultiple visits when there is no satisfactory evidence providedand the burdenof proof remains with the bailiff to show these visits were made. the onlyvisit i have had was on 19 march 2012 whereby i beleive your agent chandlersacted to make gain from the said original liability order , this caused meundue stress and anxiety on that date and as you are fully aware from originalarrangement i am classed as vulnerable as contained within the nationalstandards for enforcement agents for vulnerable situations i therefore beleivethis should never have been passed back to your agent chandlers but instead myincreased offer to yourselfs should have been accepted

chandlers representative has charged me a £160 attendance fee onthe same date as a levy fee which is not allowed , he has no right to charge anattending to remove fee the reason being no goods were removed i paid thebailiff , they have also charged me a2.5% surcharge for using a credit card which they should not have done as thelaw does not prescribe any fee of that description

charging these fees is fraud and i understand it is a criminaloffence under section 1-5 of the fraud act 2006 and receiving or benefittingfrom proceeds of crime may be subject to criminal investigation

i appreciate the public are less informed of the prescribed feesbailiffs are allowed to charge, i beleive they have taken advantage of this tomake a gain or obtain an illegal money transfer for himself or another while iam quite sure the council did not intend to contract a firm of tricksters foundto be defrauding a member of the public in this way i would be grateful if wecould settle this matter quickly and quietly by refunding me within the nextseven days. They may be bailiffs but that does not make them less liable thanany other public service contractor e.g a plumber . However a bailiff is in aposition of trust and in abusing that position they commit an offence undersection 4 of the fraud act 2006

For the avoidance of doubt that in your failure to furnish me witha refund within seven days i will automatically file a claim in the smallclaims track without writing further and this will invariably involve anapplication for costs , and i will inform the lgo that you the council areaware that a contractor under your instruction is engaging in criminal activityby defrauding members of the public. If you wish to start an investigation ofyour own please be advised that in the absence of a refund this doesnt delaylegal proceedings or filing a criminal complaint with a police authority

This document is notice of intended legal preceedings anddelivered by royal mail and i deem it to be served on you by the ordinarycourse of post in the meaning of section 7 of the interpretation act 1978 andtherefore your responsibility and its in your own interest that this letter ishanded to the relevant person within your organisation

Yours faithfully

:thumb:dx

and they

Hi all i have now sent my letters off to relevant people will let you all know the outcome , cant thank you all enough for the help

That's what we are here for as most of us have experienced similar or worse.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi all just to update .

i have had a response from the council concerned which i will post on here ,

i have yet to have a reply from chandlers ,

had the council looked back on my case they would have seen that not only did i state in the original first email i sent in july that mild depression classes me as vulnerable

they should have noted that i am also unemployed and have 2 children with autism / adhd , which i receive carers allowance / dla for ,

they are stating that the letter i have just sent them is the first time that they are aware that i was classed as vulnerable ?????????????

any help on what to do next greatly appreciated ,

why should these thugs get away with demanding money with menaces which is what it boils down too

Dear Mr x

Council Tax arreals

Thank you for your letter received on10 April a copy ofwhich was also sent byemail.

Firstly, I am sorry to hear your comments. We areconstantly strivingto

improve our customer service at all stages of billing andcollection of

council tax and welcome feedback from our customers.

The email you refer to, sent on 27 February zalz by myoffice advised you

that your 2009/10 arrears had been passed to ChandlersLtd on 12 January

2012 and that their records showed that by this date theyhad communicated

with you twice. You were also advised to contactChandlers Ltd direct

(telephone number provided) as soon as possible to makeyour offer of

re-payment directly to them.

Chandlers Ltd would be able to furnish you withinformation you require

regarding bailiff visits, fees and credit card chargesand I understand that you

have written to them under separate cover for them toreply direct.

It is regrettable that you had failed to adhere to there-pa)rment terms you had

previously entered into with Swale Borough Council whichresulted in your

arrears being passed to a bailiff company.

However, I would advise you thatthe Authority had previouslyinformed you what the

"Charges connected withdistress under Council Tax(Administration and Enforcement) Regutations1992

as prescribed in Schedule 5" would be, if thatcourse of action provednecessaryIt

is recorded that there have been numerous telephoneconversations with

you but it was not until your email of 23 February 2a12that you advised, you

suffered from depression and without medical evidence tosupport this

statement the Authority would have no reason to consideryou as vulnerable.

I think you tvould agree and understand that collectionof any debt, especially

by a third party is an emotive subject howevel I amdisappointed that your

experience of one of the Bailiff companies Swale BoroughCouncil uses has

caused you concern and distress and I will raise thematter with them at our

next meeting.

ln closing I can confirm that your payment has beenpassed to SwaleBorough

Council and your liability foraccount number has a zero balance

busby999 email, backed by a letter in the post outlining that as you are definitely vulnerable due to autism, enclose proof again just for completeness that as Chandlers cause you distress, and in line with national Guidelines they take the debt back from the bailiff.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!