HMRC chasing me for old LTD Company tax. Arghhh!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys. I'd like advice before I call HMRC to ask what this is all about... I used to have a Ltd Company when I worked in the UK but only used it for a year. I wanted to close it but my ex boyfriend ended up using it for another year (too lazy to set up his own but that's another story!). We were both directors at that point. I moved to Holland to work and he dealt with the accountant but I was also in contact with the accountant by email. As far as I know the accounts were made up to May 2009, the accountant wanted a few hundred pounds to dissolve the company the year after but after talking to some knowledgeable people(!) I was informed that if no dormant accounts were sent in the company would be struck off anyway.

Last year I got a letter from Companies House saying the company would be struck off in 3 months if the accounts weren't sent in. All good I thought!! I kept checking companies house website but it didn't change status from "Active-proposal to strike off"

This week I get a letter to my Dutch address from HMRC saying that they are owed nearly £1400!!! And as a director they are writing to me because previous letters to the company's registered office (the accountant's address) have been unsuccessful. The last I knew about this was 3 years ago the accountant confirmed that the corporation tax and accountancy fees were being paid by my ex as he was the only person that had used the company. I don't know if we are both still directors or if I'm the only named director now. 2 years ago the accountant said that my ex would no longer be using the company and as far as I'm aware he set his own one up. I have no idea why HMRC are owed £1400, the letter states "CTSA, CT & Penalty Tax = £1050, Penalty = £300, Interest = £30".

Could this be a fine for not completing accounts or is it possible that he didn't pay the tax bill? I'm not in contact with him any more and I wouldn't put anything past him; he took my van while I was working away and forged my signature on the V5 to put it in his name, also cleared out my house of anything valuable. I was stupid enough to let him stay there after we'd split up so he had time to 'get back on his feet'. Hmmm.

The letter came with a form to fill in if the company had ceased trading; can I fill this in or has the company not officially ceased trading because no forms were sent in at the time? Is it too late to fill in the Striking Off Application? It's only a tenner! I planned to ring HMRC today but bottled it :-(

:whoo:Officially debt free October 2011 after 10 years 11 months :whoo:

I think I'm right in saying this... But as a director of a Ltd company you would be liable for the debts

The amounts demanded are in relation to corporation tax which would have been due whenever the APE (accounts period ended)

The penalty could be for failure to file/and or pay and the interest is statutory

Are you able to speak to the accountant first before you ring HMRC, to check if he filed the CT600 (corporation tax return)?

You should have received an assessment first before the demand... Did you?

You need to get this sorted as HMRC are priority creditors and can issue a distraint warrant via their debt management and banking (DMB) unit but if you ring and speak to them you can discuss a time to pay arrangement if you can't pay it all now

Gbarbm

Thank you for the reply. I'm now sick with worry but I'd rather know how much trouble I'm in!! I didn't receive anything prior to this from HMRC regarding what was owed, this has come as a complete shock to me.

I haven't used this company for years, if my ex is no longer a director can he not be made to pay the bill any more? He was the only person earning money through it. The company bank account was closed down before he even started using the company because I was out of the country I didn't reply to letters from lloyds in time they closed it down as a security measure around 2008 I think. There was no money in it anyway!!

Edited by huppelkutje

OK I've found another website which gives a timeline of the company changes. My ex ceased being a director in March 2011. First notification of strike-off action in London Gazette was in June 2011 and Compulsory strike off suspended in July 2011. The amount of 1050GBP unpaid is for the period ending May 2010.

The accountant filed a return for the period up to May 2009. So I'm assuming the bill is mostly a fine for not submitting accounts for the year up to May 2010?

Sounds good to me! Ring HMRC ask to speak to the CT Inspector and he/she will be able to discuss with you how to resolve the issue

Gbarbm