Faults With Car Bought 3 Days Ago - Advise Sought

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Really appreciate some advise with this.

Bought an 8 year old car 3 days ago from a dealer 50 miles away. Driving home, I realised the cruise control did not function. Although I had taken it for a test drive, it was not really possible to test the cruise. I contacted the dealer who suggested disconnecting the battery (I have yet to try this, as I know this can cause other problems if not done with care.) & one or two other suggestions which were too involved for me to attempt.

The day after, I discovered an intermittent problem with the central locking - one door would sometimes not lock.

I phoned the dealer once again. He was a little blunt, and suggested that no such problem was present when he sold the car to me. Anyway, after a little discussing, and as I live some distance away, it was agreed for me to take the car to an independent garage for them to determine the problem. £20 to do this.

After I had done this the dealer contacted me to say a mechanic he knew was certain it would be wiring or a solenoid. He said he would send me a salvaged solenoid for my garage to fit. I asked my garage to contact the dealer regarding labour costs for fitting the solenoid. They said they would quote £40. A little later my garage informed me that the dealer was refusing to pay for any labour costs. The figure of £40 was not mentioned, so it was not a case of him being unhappy with the quote.

This probably means the dealer will be equally unhelpful with the faulty cruise control, should the battery fix not work.

I do have a warranty on the vehicle (£25 excess), but am I correct in thinking that having had the vehicle only a few days, any problem is considered as being present on the vehicle at the time of purchase, thus invalidating the warranty?

I must admit to being surprised by his stance, given I think I could return the car for the reasons of:

a) Non-working cruise control (this was mentioned as a feature in the advertising)

b) Faulty central locking, (not being fit for purpose?)

I like the car, and don't really want to return it, but would have expected a little more financial co-operation from the dealer. Any suggestions where I go from here and what my options are? :???: Thanks.

Hi ray

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help other people.

Heres some info:- http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer1_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/buying_second_hand_vehicles.htm

Welll ... you can try all avenues but if you've bought a 2nd hand car and they're the only faults you can find then you're doing well.

I know in law you can possibly reject it/ take him to court etc, but that could be a very long process and you might not win.

It might sound hard but on a 8yo car I'd take it on the chin.

BTW the most likely fault on the cruise is that the bellows on the unit seize up (esp on landrovers, which have a unit on the inner NS front wing that goes wrong) so if you know someone handy they might well take it off for you an WD40 it.

Thanks oddjobbob.

Yep, it is a pretty good car, and I don't really want to start threatening to take the car back. I'll look into that ESP thing. It's a citroen, and funnily enough somebody at work mentioned that. I think some of the models have an ESP button - mine doesn't but I'll explore! I'll report back with what happens! Cheers!