• Tweets

• the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
    • deed?  you mean consent order you and her signed? concluding the case as long as you nor she break it's conditions signed upto? dx  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

banofi v NatWest **WON**

banofi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, have sent my third letters to Lloyds and Nationwide, just waiting to be able to afford court fees! (Why can't you pay those after your case, I don't know!!) in the meantime I am tackling Natwest now. Only banked with them for a year and have about £800 in charges (charges are a whopping £38 each!!). After my first letter they replied saying they think the charges are fair, it's up to me to ensure there are adequate funds in my account etc. However they said something different from what Lloyds and Nationwide wrote in their letters to me:

"Much of the recent media coverage on bank charges has been fuelled by the Office of Fair Trading investigation earlier this year, but that was limited to administration charges on credit card accounts and did not extend to include bank charges.

We have considered the Office of Fair Trading's statement of 5 April 2006 and do not accept its findings in relation to the settling of credit card fees. We are concerned that the Office of Fair Trading has publicly called into question the setting of charges applied to other products, including current accounts. The Office of Fair Trading has restricted its investigation to credit cards and made no attempt to consult with the RBS Group or the industry in relation to other entirely different products.

Consequently, against that background, we must differ with the views you have expressed and will not be refunding any of the charges applied to your bank account."

Is this a standard reply which everyone has been getting?

They also recently re-represented a cheque for the second time without warning me first and then charged me for it (which I shall be having a go at them about).I don't happen to have that extra £76 to cover the cheque bouncing twice and so £76 of this month's direct debits are going to bounce as a consequence of their greed. Which will then result in a few more fees... unless I manage to open a new current account first then they won't be able to grab any more of my money. grr..!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Banofi :|

Lloyds *WON* £1469.82 :-D

NatWest *WON* £1177.00. :-D

Morgan Stanley *WON* £112 :)

Barclaycard *WON* £144 :)

Nationwide LBA 22nd Sept 2006. Court claim filed for £5792.29 31st July 2007.

Lloyds Credit Card flatly refused to pay me on 11/12/2006.

Egg Credit Card. Small offer made (£24.00). 17/2/2007, refusal letter sent 18/2/2007.

Useful links:

www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23608

Guest NATTIE

That is a standard NatWest Letter. A cheque can be presented twice, the first occasion the response can be Refer To Drawer Please Represent which mean that as soon as the cheque returns to the drawer's bank they will represent it. Once that has been returned for the second time, it is Refer To Drawer and should not be represented again.

Where are my manners? Good Luck

Hello, thanks for the reply. I read the t&c's twice now and nowhere can I find anything saying that a cheque can be represented twice. I've banked with Nationwide and Lloyds and they never did that. I wrote a separate begging letter to my branch manager (who I also separately cc'd my charges claims letter for charges over the past last year to) and pointed out that it was not explained in the t&c's, and also the fact they said no to an overdraft facility and still re-represented my cheque knowing full well it wouldn't clear the second time anyway, then as a result of my bounced cheque charges (£76) my house insurance bounced and I got £20 charge with them plus £38 bank charge, plus my maintenance company are threatening me with court, then I got charged £28 for going overdrawn! Grrr!!. Am in the process of opening a new current account at Alliance & Leicester as I think Natwest will tell me where to go soon!

Egg Credit Card. Small offer made (£24.00). 17/2/2007, refusal letter sent 18/2/2007.

Useful links:

Guest NATTIE

NatWest do not represent the cheque it is the bank where the cheque has been paid into that does. Don't forget to go after the insurance for that £20 once you have the bank charges back.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm now writing out my claim form (N1 printed version not Moneyclaim version) for the Natwest.

Just a few small questions:

1) In the "Value" section is the "interest Under s.69 County Courts Act 1984" the 8% apr interest figure?

2) At the bottom is the "Amount Claimed" the "Total" figure from the "Value" section minus court fee (ie, charges plus interest plus 8% apr)? Do I include the daily interest or let the courts work that out? (I have worked out the daily amount as £0.23 per day).

3) Box at bottom of first form "Defendant's name and address". Do I fill this out even though I wrote it near the top of the form?

4) Box at the top of the first form "In The"... what's this for?

Useful links:

Many thanks, just re-checked the 8% apr figures and realised I'd done it wrong to start with as I didn't realise it was under the third tab of my spreadsheet (duh!). Think I'm all sorted now, posting it tomorrow, wish me luck!!! :eek:

Useful links:

I'm about to post my Natwest claim, but how do I choose a court? I think I'm getting tired and not concentrating now!!

I went to this link:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/

There are two under Portsmouth but one is a magistrate's court, the other a "combined court".

The drop down list is a bit dubious, any ideas please?

Also I read earlier about how many copies of the forms I need to send (N1 forms and POC etc). I think it was three, but can't remember where I saw that!?!?!?

Useful links:

Hi Banofi.

The Portsmouth court that you want is the combined court.

You should send three copies.

Good luck.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hi banofi and Happy 2007!!

In response to your queries:-

There are two under Portsmouth but one is a magistrate's court, the other a "combined court"

'combined court' simply means its a crown and county court and is the best option if making a small claim. Magistrates court deals with mainly Criminal, Family Work, Licensing and Appeals.

Also I read earlier about how many copies of the forms I need to send (N1 forms and POC etc). I think it was three, but can't remember where I saw that!?!?!?

The POC makes up the second page of your N1 claim form. You need to send three copies to the court of your choice (if you are not doing it online via MCOL). The court will stamp them and return a copy to yourself for your files.

Make sure you have read the FAQs as most of the answers to a good majority of yor queries can be found there.

Hope this is of assistance to you. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Haha 1

:DSUCCESSESS:D

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

:)CURRENT CLAIMS:)

HALIFAX03

19-SEPT-07 APPLICATION TO HAVE STAY LIFTED

02-OCT-07 APPLICATION REFUSED

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Thankyou both, eek it's ready to go now!!

I'll keep everyone updated.

I need my zzz's now... thanks again :)

Useful links:

Good luck.

• Haha 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Banofi, try and stick to one thread, it will make easier to keep track of your progress!!

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Hi banofi,

I've just responded to your other thread.

You don't need to post a seperate thread for each of your queries. Try to keep all your queries posted in one thread, together. It is easier for us to assist you, this way:)

Don't worry I did exactly the same thing when I first started out, it seemed to get the site helpers attention anyways!!!!!;)

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Hi Muggins73, I thought creating different threads would help attract the right sort of help? But I'll remember for my future posts. I have more claims on the go!

Thanks, :rolleyes:

Useful links:

Hi Muggins73, I thought creating different threads would help attract the right sort of help? But I'll remember for my future posts. I have more claims on the go!

Thanks, :rolleyes:

All it'll do is annoy the site helpers and moderators!!!! (just a friendly bit of advice).

Good luck with the other claims

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Banofi, try and stick to one thread, it will make easier to keep track of your progress!!

Ha, ha deller...too late mate, already advised him of that one:D

Banofi, told ya:D:D:D:D:D Have a good sleep. Nite nite.

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Sorry muggins, half asleep myself....lol

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Sorry muggins, half asleep myself....lol

Aren't we all at this time of nite? And you're about to become a dad, you don't know the meaning of tired!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Catch up soon, must dive into my pit and get some well earned shut eye. Nite, nite.

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, right then I'm a bit unsure of my next step now. The county court issued my claim on 8th January 2007, deemed to be served on 10th January, and I've heard no reply from Natwest yet. It said the defendant has until 24th january to reply. natwest have NOT replied (today being the 29th) so now I am going to send back the form which the court sent me, (Request for judgement). Do i need to include a letter with this or just send it as is?

Useful links:

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my "Request for Judgement" to the court on 29th Jan, still heard nothing. How long should I expect to wait?

Useful links:

Court sent me a copy of the "Judgement for Claimant", on 6th Feb, demanding that Natwest send me £1177 plus interest to date of judgement immediately! Today's the 12th and still heard nothing.

Useful links:

• 3 weeks later...

I've won!!! £1177 paid out on 26th February. VERY pleased!! :D

Useful links: