Help needed re Marstons bailiff visit please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4415 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks

I wonder if anyone can help me please? I received a letter last week to an old address from 'Marston High Court Enforcement Officers & Certificated Bailiffs' regarding an unpaid ccj a couple of years old. The ccj was for a credit card debt.

Marston are threatening to send a 'Licensed Field Officer' to 'discuss my account and payment proposals'. So I'm expecting a visit from the bailiffs BUT Upon looking at the Marston website I noticed this statement:

'In order for Marston Group to enforce a County Court Judgment it must be transferred to the High Court', and in particular this bit: 'Please note that we are unable to transfer a Judgment where the debt is based upon a regulated agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.'

So does this mean that they don't offer to enforce a (credit card) ccj such as mine?

Any comments very much appreciated

If it is a credit card debt and the agreement was under CC Act then they cannot act as HCEOs as the debt cannot be transferred up to the high court for a writ of fi-fa. A "Licensed Field officer" will be as door knocking debt collector imho, as they also undertake this sort of collection, the letter head will include HCEO and bailiff, but it doesn't mean that they will be able to visit as such on every occasion.

I

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Brassnecked is right in his assertions that they are dealing with this as debt collectors. The fact they sent a letter to you using their HCEO & Bailiff letterhead is most worthy of complaint to both the OFT & Trading Standards as in my view they are misrepresenting their powers. What to do if he calls, I believe there is a phrase similar to "Get Lost" of course you could also send them the http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?410-LETTER-USED-WHEN-A-DCA-THREATENS-A-DOORSTEP-VISIT letter.

PT

• Confused 1

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks ever so much everyone for your replies - I really appreciate them :)

I now assume that a county court bailiff is the only visitor that I need to be concerned about then regarding this unpaid ccj?

That may well be the case, but a County Court bailiff is salaried, and as he doesn't depend on fees will likely be more inclined to help you sort things out.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Same applies with any Bailiff. Do NOT under ANY circumstances allow them into your home. At least the CCB will inform you of any pending visit.

PT

Thanks PT, for completeness, even if a CC bailiff is more amenable, you should deal with him outside, and never willingly let him in