RLP on my back and so it begins.... TXMAXX

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4415 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner foolishly removed the price tag from a pair of sunglasses in TKMaxx to see what he looked like in the mirror (they put the tags on the bridge of the glases). He discarded the tag on the floor. There are no signs up anywhere to say this is prohibited although it's not something I'd do!He then replaced the glasses, tried on some others etc... Decidiing he wanted the first pair, he retrieved them from the shelf, picked up a tag off the floor and went to pay.I'm not defending this action.The store detective grabbed him and took us into the office. The glasses were returned and refunded. He'd been charged £20. The store detective claimed they were £100.I'm still livid about the whole incident. I HATE dishonesty.Now, we've started receiving all the threatening letters from RPL demanding £137.50. My partner says he didn't switch the tags from one pair of glasses to another but picked the price tag up off the floor.In their letter, RPL say they have evidence that:"Security Personnel will provide evidence that you were then observed selecting the same pair of sunglasses (first pair) about 10 minutes later and another pair of sunglasses (second pair). You were observed removing the price ticket of the second pair of sunglasses and attaching it to the first pair of sunglasses."So, now RPL have got me questioning whether my partner is lying to me!I've asked RPL to provide the CCTV under the Data Protection Act - i have to pay £10 for this.Has anyone else been sent CCTV footage on request? I can't deal with months of threatening letters so will probably just pay up.... I'd be interested to hear if anybody else has successfully seen the CCTV though and how it's received...

Please read the CAB reports (stickied), and you will get an idea of how serious RLP's threats of legal action are.

In the meantime, there are two options you can consider:

1. Ignore RLP and any debt collectors who send you letters.

2. Send, by recorded delivery, a short letter to RLP stating that you deny any liability to them or their client. Don't give any detail at all, just the denial of liability, and then ignore everything else they send unless it's a real court claim (but see my first para above about RLP and courts.

Remember that you did nothing wrong. If you had, the appropriate method of dealing with it in any case is through the criminal justice system - not a private company sending out speculative invoices. RLP have no legal authority or powers.

You might also want to contact the store head office & ask for a copy of the CCTV.

Just because they say they have evidence doesn't mean that they really have. I suspect that he might have removed several tags while trying them on (they do get in the way)

Talking of trying it on, do TK-Maxx really have sunglasses on sale for £100!!!

When dealing with RLP, I would leave it until their second letter, then just get a certificate of posting - I think that recorded delivery would indicate to them that you were taking them seriously rather than just wanting to get rid of an organisation with no jurisdiction.

Thanks for the advice. I asked RLP for copies of everything they hold under the DPA - I hope this includes CCTV. They said something about how they're the "Data Processor" not the "Data Controller" but will comply with my request. I haven't heard back yet.I'll email TKMAXX Head Office as well with the request. I want to put my mind at rest...