Voluntary HP car termination- What are my rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Due to drastically reduced hours at work I am doing a termination on my HP agreement as I have paid over 50% of the amount due and can no longer afford the repayments. I sent a letter 2 weeks ago, 1st class they claim they never received it so sent another one last Friday by 1st class recorded delivery which according to royal mails website was delivered today (Monday). Rang them today and they haven't got it yet was told it could still he in the mail room. Advised to ring back tomorrow.

I am told I have to return car to auction house 18 miles away from my home. They seem to be dragging their feet. My problem is the MOT expires on Wednesday and I simply can't afford to get it done. They said if will have to be put through as a non runner now ( the car us in mint condition with new Tyres, no marks or scratches and no known faults).

Could anyone advise me where I stand if they don't process it by weds. They said they will have to puck it up on a low loader but will charge me for it. Any idea how much it will cost me if it comes to this?

I have taken plenty of photos of the car to prove it's excellent condition.

Also they say I will be liable for any costs to get the car roadworthy. Is this true? Car has only done just over 24000 miles with both mots (it's an 07).

Company I'm dealing with is Fga capital.

Any advice or comments much appreciated.

If you have paid more than 50% then you will not have to pay any more towards the finance of the car. There could well be a problem regarding the transport of the car if you allow the MOT to expire, which looks most likely now as there is no way this will be resolved by Wednesday.

I know it's hindsight now, but I really wouldn't have let 2 critical weeks go by without contacting them about the VT. How they sell the car after you VT it though is none of your concern and they cannot charge you any extra just because they sold it cheap for whatever reason.

They normally would pick it up from your house, or have you deliver it to a reasonable location by agreement (not sure if 18miles would be classed as reasonable) but in either case this would need the car to be driveable. Are you sure you can't get it MOT'd on Wednesday? An MOT costs about £30 fi no faults found that need fixing, so if the car is as "mint" as you say, won't you be confident it will pass. Remember, a lot of what they tell you following an MOT is what is classed as "advisory which you can ignore. (eg your brake pads won't last long or your tyre treads are near the limit)

Which HP company is asking you to return it to them? I have just sent a couple of Renaults back and am now sorting a Vauxhall out, both of these companies use Manheim Auctions to collect their cars which is done from my house.

Thanks for your reply.

The finance company is FGA capital.

My work hours have been reduced by 75% so money us so tight at the moment and the cheapest I could find for an MOT is £45 unless it's done with a service. The car is a fiat.

I think it could be Manheim auction house as when I googled it the nearest one is just over 18 miles away.

If they have to collect on a low loader do you know how much they will charge me? Do I have to pay it upfront? Or do they invoice me. The latest car payment came out 5 days ago so I've no spare cash at moment till next payday.

Thanks

I have a Manheim car auction about 1/2 mile from my house and both Renault and Vauxhall arrange collection despite this, so not sure where they get this 60 miles from. Either way, I would consider challenging having to drive 18 miles as being "unreasonable".

vauxhall quote a charge figure of £245 if a transport truck needs to be sent, so I'd think about finding the MOT money from somewhere! If you have just made a monthly payment then there is no immediate panic on getting the car collectedbecause the figures aren't going to change for another month. However, was this payment 5 days ago over and above the 50% mark, because if it was you will not get it back and they have just scored for an extra payment for nothing.

I have just checked my agreement and it states under charges ' goods collection fee on voluntary termination of the agreement by you-£70' I have returned a car previously about 6 years ago to Santander and they did charge me £60 to collect it.

I know I should gave chased it up sooner but I have been I'll and in hospital, still recovering so don't really feel up to getting into a dispute with them.

Did vauxhall demand the £245 upfront? Or would they have invoiced you?

Did vauxhall demand the £245 upfront? Or would they have invoiced you?

No idea how they would handle the charge as any car I have ever returned has been driveable, therefore incurred no charge.