Had a Tax Credit Review Letter any help?

smokingjam
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

recently just had a tax credit review through stating wages that we have told them and wages they have decided to check out on myself and partner

i know this was stupid but for the current tax year 2011/2012 i declared my partner less than what he's on.

what will happen now? will the tax credit awad be stopped for 2012/2013 year?

any advice or help would be appreciated

Not necesserily. It's not possible to say what will happen in your particular case until you get your new award notice specifying what you are actually entitled to. How they recover the overpayment depends on your actual entitlement.

If you are entitled to full tax credit, they will recover the overpayment by reducing your ongoing payments by 10%

If you are entitled to a reduced rate of tax credit, they will recover the overpayment by reducing your ongoing payments by 25%

If you are only entitled to the family element of child tax credit, it is only then that they can recover at 100% of your ongoing payments (effectively stop paying you).

They can also impose a penalty on top.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Not necesserily. It's not possible to say what will happen in your particular case until you get your new award notice specifying what you are actually entitled to. How they recover the overpayment depends on your actual entitlement.

If you are entitled to full tax credit, they will recover the overpayment by reducing your ongoing payments by 10%

If you are entitled to a reduced rate of tax credit, they will recover the overpayment by reducing your ongoing payments by 25%

If you are only entitled to the family element of child tax credit, it is only then that they can recover at 100% of your ongoing payments (effectively stop paying you).

They can also impose a penalty on top.

Hi Erika,

Is it true that tax credits investigations will be managed jointly with dwp once universal credit has been introduced?

I've just read this:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/single-fraud-investigation-service-wr2011-ia.pdf

and it basically says, that they will look into legacy tax credit claims, once the single fraud unit is established.

Since most tax credits investigations look only at particular tax years e.g. (only 2010-2011), will they start looking into previous years which haven't been reviewed.

Is it likely they will prosecute people for errors years later?

Thanks for your time

Edited by lis79

• 4 months later...

and it basically says, that they will look into legacy tax credit claims?

You're getting mixed up legacy benefits is the name used to identify all benefits that will migrate onto the universal credit system such as IS IB JSA, Tax Credit isn't a legacy benefit and it doesn't say the single fraud investigation will be looking at previous TC claims, it says it will have responsibility for investigating HB CTB WTC as well as legacy benefits ( ie IS DLA etc) .

scotgal 