Landlord and Deposit Issues on Leaving Property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So whats best for me to do now insist on paying the end of contract occupying place and him halting all work in the hope he will agree officially to early exit on paper. Or leave as is and see if the courts will see this from my point of view...the landlord encouraged early exit verbally and accepted notice by saying "thanks for notice" without disputing it and is now doing up place for better rent fee while I am liable to pay...this doesnt seem at all fair!

Many Many Thanks

Why not try negotiating with the landlord.

And if anything this is a lesson learned. Never take anyone word for it. Always get whatever you agree in writing so when people go back on their word they cannot get away with it.

I would try negotiating with the LL, start low and meet somewhere your both happy with. The landlord does not want the stress and hassle or court as much as you do not. Get whatever you agree in writing, signed!

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.

Thankyou.

I think OP is suggesting that LL is claiming T damage, which is on fact wear & tear in OP opinion.

SCC fee depends on amount claimed, I think property damage is max £1,000, say ~£100 fee, payable by claimant up front, but in the end loser pays. Costs not normally allowed other than for incidental costs of up to £100.

SAM keep to one thread huh?

you have SO many threads about this landlord people keep advising the same things.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

SAM keep to one thread huh?

you have SO many threads about this landlord people keep advising the same things.

dx

Thanks Dx but this is the only thread asking a basic question of what Im up against if I go to court, I have not discussed this here in another post it seems I have to change the subject as I go along as I have issues with this landlord unfolding and leave it under the heading of cleaning the floor.... I have tried to find forum rules to let me know how to ask further questions....doesn't make sense I would tack it on the end of another thread of another question unless Im missing something?

Two Threads Merged

Sam...Please stick to this one thread regarding the Landlord and deposit issues whether court is involved or not. The thing is that it all relates to the same issue. It is better to have one long thread so that the whole story is in one place rather than folks having to leap around to different threads. It only leads to confusion.

I've changed the title to reflect the issue.

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

...and am I entitled to know who specifically carried out the check out inspection the LL claims a clerk did but there is info in the report only the LL would know and it is extremely biased, do they have to give details who compiled the report?

Thanks again

No they don't Sam...

What they do have to do though .......... is prove that you caused the damage..

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

Thanks Ed999 do you know if there is any time frame after my tenancy or after notification from landlord he wants money from me whereby I cannot make a claim against my deposit being returned.

...any info anybody

Thanks

Bearing in mind I know nothing of the legal aspects of this, a couple of things came to mind with your posts...

Hi I have discussed this within a thread before but it has now become an issue I really need to be clear on. I left a private letting 6 month contract on the 10th of month 5. The LL was encouraging I leave early as he wanted to put the rent up and claimed he was loosing money me being there.When I told him I had seen a place he told me to "go for it" I gave him notice on the 10th to be out by 1st March end...contract was to be there till 30th March and he said Ok thanks for notice.

Now he has become bitter as the place isnt re-renting and he has lost money, he is saying I owe him rent until the end of March. I know from a neighbor there has been lots of noise in the flat and a new sink box outside so he is doing work in the period he wants to charge me for. Am I now void of the end of contract charges if he is using the place.Any of this in writing? If not, how can he prove you said you'd move out early? My point being, if you are still legally (according to your contract) inhabiting the property, he has to give you reasonable space to live (I forget the wording but it's something like that). It strikes me that renovating a kitchen is not doing this as it's a huge upheaval. Has he also given you 24 hours notice that he's coming into the property, which is another thing usually contained in tenancy contracts?

Many Thanks

Sam

I vacuumed then mopped the kitchen vinyl floor well when I checked out of my property. I went under all the units as best I could but the floor is a light vinyl which was stained when I moved in, in lots of places and has never come up great all the time I lived there much to my frustration.

He has cleaned it industrially and so has sent picture of A/B clean area which does look much cleaner than my clean but he now sais I have to pay for this.So he can prove it was in that condition when you moved in can he? Unless it's stated in the move-in inventory how is he going to do that? In addition, he has to allow fair wear and tear - you are not expected to make a floor look better on exiting a property than it was when you moved in; some wear is expected, or did he think you could hover rather than walk?

It seems there is nothing you could reasonably clean in checking out of a whole house that someone couldn't clean better. He has also moved kitchen appliances and taken pictures behind where dirt was behind fridge etc which it didn't cross my mind to do? Again, did he state the area behind the fridge was clean and tidy? I guess not!Am I liable to pay his £200 cleaning bill for a small kitchen floor which is heavily stained anyway, he hasnt given receipts etc. Just FYI, after our 3 1/2 year tenancy ended we had a cleaner in for the whole house - kitchen (including oven which she got a professional in for), hall/stairs/landing, front room, two bathrooms/loos and 3 beds. All hoovered, skirts cleaned, sinks & baths bought back to sparkling, kitchen cupboards cleaned, and walls washed. That came to £177 in Jan last year. I know it's not like you can use that as proof he's having you on, but it gives a clue.

Thanks

Sam

Again, I don't know the legalities, but from what our agent told us when we were moving out it appears you've done just what they would have asked for. You've made good where possible, and otherwise have just 'lived' in the house, not trashed it.

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

Thanks Lexis 200.

The LL told me in his words he would "extend the tenancy by one day" when I requested I would like the option of moving out on the 1st March if possible not 29th Feb (10th Feb notice given according to verbal agreement with LL to exit 29th) and has since charged me for the extra day in the losses and damage report. He also told two weeks before move date and up until move he had a tenant moving in on the 2nd.

He said he then couldn't let the place because it was dirty so lost money as new tenant couldn't move in. I asked to be at check out but he didn't reply to my requests made twice. In the inventory it claims floor is moderately stained and not professionally cleaned (7 years ago). I have stains where out fridge and shelves stood which I cant get rid of so he said he had to replace he took pictures of the floor a week after we moved out with lots of tradesmen activity and behind units which i couldnt remove to clean. I have video of well mopped floor still wet timed 20 mins before he came to look.

Other items are sink has hairline cracks so he wants me to pay for new one, two kitchen handles which are broken and cant get new anymore so has to have them made at £150 each!

I feel as though I may just reply suggesting small claims as I cant see we can agree. I would offer him £50 off deposit for cleaning costs but thats all. I have repaired and maintained property in the seven years I have been there he hasn't done anything even though there was a list of damages he would do on moving in that I ended up doing, loose handrail to stairs no lighting stairs, no working taps in bathroom, hole in ceiling.

Thanks again