Reply from barclays offering me half back

Jamespalmer999
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent of a preliminarily letter about a week and a half ago, then a few days later got a letter back from Barclays saying we will reply to your complaint within 14 days. Now I have received that reply within my original 14 days saying

Thank you for you letter dated 23 march 2006

I am sorry you feel the bank charges you have incurred are unfair and represent a penalty. I note you are claiming a refund of £315 for the period of the last four years. In your correspondence of 23 March you have referred to common law, statute and recent consumer regulations, which you say supports your view. Barclays is aware off all the information you have drawn to our attention. I must inform you however, that we disagree with your legal analysis.

When an account is opened with us, our customer is provided with a copy of terms and conditions relating to the use of their account including details of these charges. bla bla bla

Putting the above aside, on this occasion as a gesture of goodwill I confirm I am willing to refund some of the charges totalling £170. I hope you will agree this is fair and reasonable. If you would like to accept this offer please let me know in writing. I have enclosed a prepaid envelope for your use. I will then arrange for the payment to be credited directly to your account.

If you wish to discus this letter, or you feel there are further issues I need to consider, please contact me on my direct telephone number (London number). If you are dissatisfied with my proposal for resolving your complaint you may ultimately be eligible to refer to the Financial Ombudsman Service

... bla bla bla

So they have offered me half back! But I want the full amount, any suggestions? should I ring them on the number and ask for the full amount back (which I would prefer not to do), send another letter giving another 14 days and saying that I will not settle for anything but the total amount, any one been here? What would you recommend I should do?

Many thanks in advance for any help

I got exactly the same letter as you did, except they only offered me £300 of the £1K im claiming. I wrote back basically saying "not good enough, I want the full amount back, within 7 days or I will see you in court !"

6 Days to court action ;)

That's the way to treat them...it's your money, you want it ALL back. Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I had exactly the same letter but this was preceeded by a phone call with the same offer. I told the chap that the clock was still ticking and they they should reconsider their offer by Monday 3rd April.

They haven't come back to me so their time was up on Monday this week and on Tuesday I filed my claim in court.

Don't let them intimidate you or call the shots. Go get 'em!

Baz

Halifax - Won £425.00

American Express - Won £90.00

Woolwich Bank - Won £2280.00

Barclaycard - Won £558.00

Woolwich Bank - New claim for £723.00 entered.

Barclaycard - New claim for £236.00 entered

Don't be scared, be excited.

I have 2 claims waiting, am about to lauch another 2 next week, maybe 3.

On EVERY SINGLE one of them, every time I feel scared, I remind myself that I'm RIGHT, they're WRONG.

I think of all the times where I laid awake at night wondering how I was going to keep the roof over my head, how I was going to feed the kids.

Then I think of how could it all go wrong: I could lose, of course. I would not get my money back, and I would lose the £30 or £50, or even maybe £120 court costs. THAT'S IT.

Then I think of the other possibilities:

1 - They settle as soon as they get hit with court claim.

2 - They say they'll intend to defend in full, then settle.

3 - They go as far as allocation questionnaire, then settle.

4 - They go as far as the court steps, then settle.

5 - They go as far as court, and LOSE. And remember that with the new OFT decision, a charge will pretty much be deemed a penalty if it's over £12, and they'll have it twice as hard trying to convince a judge otherwise.

The odds are, for once, so much in our favour, that it would be daft not to embrace the opportunity. So, deep breaths all, we're all going to WIN this!!!

Therein ends the pep talk.:D

well hello again they really are sending lots of standard letters out now !! I have just received my letter back today saying if i was unhappy with there (rubbish) offer of £220 then sorry i feel i have to make a claim, so i also will be seeing them in court !! Do you think it will get to court? i will keep going i need that money back !! i am so glad i am not alone or i might have bottled it by now !!

charlie

• 1 month later...
  • 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks