Bullying with no one to turn to

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took a job 4 months ago in a small agency. A managerial position was offered to me despite my lack of experience. I aired my concerned at interview stage about this and I was told that they knew this and wanted to help me develop and would train and support me.

4 months later, I am not being given the work that was agreed in my interview or job spec (that I received after two months of employment). I'm also not being given any support as agreed and my work load is high.

Despite all of this I felt I was working through my work as well as I could and to a good standard.

Then my boss (the owner of the company) started suggesting he wasn't happy with my progress. He started telling me on a daily basis that I was bad at my job and found new insults every day for me, which he delivered in a fairly professional manner and behind closed doors. He has also extended my probation (I checked and this is above board)

I stuck up for myself as much as I felt appropriate but it's just not good for my motivation/ ego/ stress levels to be working in this environment with no sign of improvement.

I tried talking to a senior colleague about it and they said that my boss has always been difficult to work with and provided no more assistance.

It got to a point where I've not been able to go into work for the past 2 days due to anxiety. If I lose my job I lose my house and I've only just found this job after a previous redundancy (without a payout)

But ignoring work isn't helping. My workload is just building up and I still face getting sacked, I feel unfairly, when I return.

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, but getting a sick note wont help, I just need to find a new job (where I'm not working with this person) give my notice and leave, but this is easier said than done. And not really what I wanted.

Any advice?

I hope you find a new job soon, one of the problems withh going off sick with stress is that if it comes out at future interviews it could be held against you although that wont be the reason that they give, keep a record of the things your boss says and does because if it ever gets to the stage where you want to take further action you will need this. i am sure someone will tell you your legal rights soon but my understanding is that if your employer fires you then if you have worked for them for less than a year then you cannot claim unfair dismissal except in cases where there has been discrimination, if you have to leave because of the bullying you may be able to claim cinstructive dismissal. Good luck I am sure others will have more advice for you soon

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Hi alice

If you are considering 'constructive dismissal', which is very difficult to prove, keep a diary at home, write down every thing that is said, you will need plenty of examples about your treatment.

Also it might be an idea to raise a 'Grievance', do it informally at first, see if they deal with your complaints. If you don't think they have dealt with your complaints, do it in writing, send it Recorded.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/Grievanceprocedures/DG_10027992

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/Grievanceprocedures/index.htm

If you have only been there 4 months, unfortunately your rights are very much limited.

Saying that though, you shouldn't be having to deal with this sort of thing, especially if it is now affecting your health. Unfortunately, some people are just bad employers and there is no law against that. Its when you are treated differently to other people, for whatever reason, that the law is on your side, but again your have not really been there long enough to have any substantial case against your employer.

Best suggestion i have is not to go back, put in a letter of complaint (not that it will do much) and try to find another position as quick as possible.

Good Luck.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Practically speaking, the best thing you can do is put your health first, resign and move on. Given that you have under 12 months service, as a PP has suggested, there are probably no legal avenues for you to go down, particularly as you don't appear to have been discriminated against. Even if you were to raise a grievance, they'd probably find a way to dismiss you, so really it would be better not to expend the time and emotional energy fighting a losing battle!