Backdoor Aktiv Kapital/Hagerty CCJ - merged old Barclays OD+Credit Card debt - How Do I set aside? ** WON WITH COSTS **+ campaign to shut them down

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4127 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disposal without a hearing

The court may, if all parties agree, deal with the claim without a hearing.

Setting judgment aside and re-hearing

(1) A party –

(a) who was neither present nor represented at the hearing of the claim; and

(b) who has not given written notice to the court under rule 27.9(1),

may apply for an order that a judgment under this Part shall be set aside(GL) and the claim re-heard.

(2) A party who applies for an order setting aside a judgment under this rule must make the application not more than 14 days after the day on which notice of the judgment was served on him.

(3) The court may grant an application under paragraph (2) only if the applicant –

(a) had a good reason for not attending or being represented at the hearing or giving written notice to the court under rule 27.9(1); and

(b) has a reasonable prospect of success at the hearing.

(4) If a judgment is set aside(GL)–

(a) the court must fix a new hearing for the claim; and

(b) the hearing may take place immediately after the hearing of the application to set the judgment aside and may be dealt with by the judge who set aside(GL) the judgment.

(5) A party may not apply to set aside(GL) a judgment under this rule if the court dealt with the claim without a hearing under rule 27.10.

Rules 27.12 and 27.13 are revoked.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

No SOTC you cant, but if the Claimant fails to show and the SaS is successful and they fail to follow any directions then yes you can then (post hearing if successful)

What you must clearly understand the hearing is to set a side the " Judgment " not the claim, so you attack this in a two prong approach ....set a side judgment and then defend the claim.

Sometimes depending on the reason to set a side, one affects the other IE the set a side wont be successful if the DJ considers your defence wont have merit but not if its a clear case of wrong address and bad service ( and you have proof the claimant was aware of your new address).

When you make your application to set aside judgment the court will fix a hearing date. Both you and the Claimant will have to go to this hearing. You will have to explain why you want the court to set aside judgment.

If the court sets aside judgment you will be allowed to put in a Defence explaining why you do not agree with the Claimant's claim.

The court will also give you a timetable to explain what you must do next. For example, you may have to tell the Claimant what documents you want to use to prove your Defence (CPR) and if you have witness(es) they may have to make statement(s) which you must send copies of to the Claimant.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks andy, thought that was all to simple :-(.

I'm 100% certain my claimant will turn up. I get the feeling I am being used as guinea pig for a new tactic. Take the most useless case you can find and force it through the courts using every trick in the book. I get the feeling they will see this one through to the end :-(

• 1 month later...

Hi SOTC,

Do you mean you got the Set Aside and further proceedings will follow to hear the case.

:-D

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Time to update this, first thing my court appearance as I know this is very daunting for people doing it the first time and it helps to read about others experiences.

First thing, I was under the impression the court proceedings were quite informal, and consisted of the relevant parties sat around a table. How wrongIi was!

It was a formal court room, with the judge sat high up, with a large public gallery at the back of the court. There was no dock, but two tables in front of the judge with the claimant and defendant on separate tables. Think of an american court room you see on TV, it was exactly the same.

Opposite side decided to not turn up and had made written representations to the judge.

Judge was extremley hostile to me (I was last of about 10 cases that day in front her which involved DCA's, I get the impression she thought I was another bad debtor trying to wriggle out of his esponsibilities), either that or I had caught her at the wrong time of the month or her life.

She refused to accept that the N1 form had been sent to the wrong address, (she had written proof it had gone to correct address), things quickly deterioated with the judge, as I knew this to be 100% false and argued that the document she had was wrong.

She retorted to me "Are you claiming the court is falsifying documents ?", at this point I knew not to argue anymore and plans for an appeal were going through my head.

I was then asked if I had any other valid reasons the Judgement be set aside, I went to second line of defence i.e. this is not my debt. The fact she didnt ask and wasnt willing to see any of my documents I think meant she didnt accept it as a valid reason to set aside (As she had established service had been effective).

She was then in the process of summing up and it wasn't sounding good, "so therefore the judgement of" at which point she asked "what was the date of the judgement ?" as she didnt have the paperwork in front of her.

She asked for the judgement sheet which I handed to her, at which point she exploded "CAN I ASK WHERE YOU OBTAINED THIS DOCUMENT? THIS IS AN INTERNAL COURT DOCUMENT WHICH IS CONFIDENTIAL! THESE ARE NEVER MADE AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC"

The atmosphere was already hostile due to the earlier arguments, I thought I was going to be locked for breaking some unknown law.

I replied the court had sent the document (which it had). It transpired what I had handed was the not the judgement sheet, but a court copy of the original N1 form, which proved the claim had been sent to the wrong address.

Then followed a couple of minutes of silence (you could hear a pin drop) while she examined the document I handed her and the document she referred to earlier which "proved" the claim had been sent to the correct address. There was something clearly amiss and she was absolutely livid at the point. "This is all highly irregular, it's a irregular judgement in fact, I therefore order the judgement of XX/XX/XX be set aside"

On retrieving my document from the judge I glimpsed the other document, which I think was a copy of the N1 supplied by the other side which had been doctored.

At this point I asked for costs, she wasn't willing to give them as these are not usually given at set aside hearings. At which point I successfully argued for them. She was still quite moody with me at this point, but I felt she had to give them to me due to the potential miscarrage earlier.

I then asked if she could order the other side to resubmit the claim, she refused to do this. Then ensued yet another argument! Me arguing that someone sue me and the judge refusing to let that happen! She said this was definitely in my best interests. Fearing I might get this judge again in future I decided to back down.

On leaving the court, she turned to me, smiled and said "thank you" in an almost apologetic way. The ice maiden had melted.

So if there's any pieces of advice I can give ?

a) Never make any assumptions for how the proceedings will go, be prepared for eventualities

b) Never underestimate any last minute strokes a DCA will pull

c) Dont assume the other side not turning up is a good sign, in my case they didnt want to be around to answer any questions if and when their stunt backfired on them.

wow close shave then!!

well done

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Crikey - that must have been a worrying time for you.

It does puzzle me that she claimed that she had proof they had been delivered to the correct address. The only way delivery/reciept can be proved is by way of personal service or a tracking slip. The Courts do not send out Claim forms by way of tracked post.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Crikey - that must have been a worrying time for you.

It does puzzle me that she claimed that she had proof they had been delivered to the correct address. The only way delivery/reciept can be proved is by way of personal service or a tracking slip. The Courts do not send out Claim forms by way of tracked post.

She claimed she had proof that the claimant had supplied the correct address to the court, considering all the documents I had showed that this was not true (i.e. judgement and enforcement action at this wrong address). You can imagine how an argument started brewing when she refused to accept them.

It was only later when I approached the bench, that I seen the document in question she referred to, it was a photocopied N1 form which I believe was supplied by the other side although I can't prove it.