Average Speed Cameras

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

it was mentioned about a local authority installing these cameras

correct me if wrong but councils can give parking tickets by camera, not speeding tickets

or is this something new in the pipe line for greedy councils

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it was mentioned about a local authority installing these cameras

correct me if wrong but councils can give parking tickets by camera, not speeding tickets

or is this something new in the pipe line for greedy councils

Department for Transport - Who is responsible for the deployment and operation of safety cameras?

How ironic. I just looked at my county (sussex) on that link and they have a little animation of a car going through a speed camera and getting flashed. Then at the end of the animation, the same car goes through the same camera under the limit and does not get flashed. Then, once past the camera, the car SPEEDS UP!!!

• 6 months later...
HI..can anyone tell me wether you can be caught on an average speed camera at night!!...i.e. in the dark..seem improbable to me,but I've been wrong before(once or twice)..thanks rickardo :)

Yes, you can.

They operate in the infra-red spectrum and have infra-red illuminators built into them

I've just read the article.

Aren't all these Police Spokesmen admitting that installation of average speed cameras could increase dangers on our roads.

Shouldn't these statements make the installation of these devices irresponsible and therefore unlawful.

Government planning 30 mile network of speed cameras that follow you everywhere

specs-t.jpg

New caneras based on SPECS technology

The Government is trialling a new generation of speed cameras that can track drivers for up to 30 miles, it has been revealed. The average speed cameras could be positioned across large areas of cities or urban areas and drivers would not be able to evade them even by making a series of turns.

By covering all the entry or exit points the cameras would work out whether a driver has sped at any part of their journey. The cameras would be connected via internet lines and would calculate a car’s average speed and slowing down briefly will have no effect.

There could be up to 50 cameras working together and they can be positioned more than 15 miles apart. The devises automatically read number plates and transmit data instantly to a penalty processing centre.

It is understood that police trials of the new cameras have concluded successfully and further trials are due to start in Northern Ireland. The Home Office could approve the technology as early as January and the first fines could start flooding in next summer.

Jim Fitzpatrick, the Road Safety Minister, said yesterday would improve congestion and save lives. ‘When the Home Office approves the equipment, I think there will be great interest among the safety-camera partnerships. They will give a more sophisticated edge to cameras than the blunt instrument we have at the moment.’

Mr Fitzpatrick said that existing pairs of average speed cameras have proved the technology works. ‘Wherever there are average-speed camera signs, the traffic moves at a uniform pace. Congestion reduces and accidents reduce.’

The Association of British Drivers disagrees, arguing that Specs3 could cause drivers to lose concentration. Brian Gregory, a founder member, said: ‘People put the car in cruise control and the mind in neutral. It’s so boring driving through these sections at a constant slow speed that people are going to drop off.’

There was talk of utilising the congestion charge cameras in london to do the same, if you enter and exit at too high an average speed, you'll be prosecuted.

ESSEX CAMERA IS BIGGEST MONEY-SPINNER

Single camera said to be making £1m a year

Gatso%202-t.jpg

A speed camera in Essex has been named as the biggest money maker in the UK. The notorious Gatso, on the southbound carriageway of the M11 near Woodford Green Athletics Club, is believed to have generated nearly £1 million in revenue over the past year.

Local people are furious that the camera has made so much money, arguing that it is not preventing accidents.

Professional musician Hamish Birchall told the Waltham Forest Guardian: ‘I don’t think it follows that just because you’ve caught people going over the speed limit you have prevented accidents. It’s a scandal.

'The data suggests this camera is causing accidents but the only reason they’re keeping it up is because it makes so much money. I’ve written to the Transport Minister about it but he hasn’t replied to any of my letters.'

The Highways Agency says the camera is saving lives. A spokesman said: ‘ The camera on the M11 has been successful in addressing the cluster of collisions occurring approximately 900 metres (1000 yards) south of the current camera location, which is what the camera was installed to do.

'The accident data does not show a pattern of accidents which would be consistent with the camera itself being a factor.’ The camera was also named the most money-making in the country in 2003.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Will she get one fine or a fine for each camera she went through???

The cameras aren't treated as seperate cameras like normal ones. The whole idea behind average speed cameras is that they record the time you passed the first, record the time you pass the second, then work out your average speed over the distance between the cameras. You can't "be fined twice for the two cameras" because they are a pair.

No. Magistrates have the power to ban you (7-56days) when you exceed 65mph in a 40mph limit. But more likely a fine with six points.

I was "caught" for allegedly (I didn't ask for, nor was I shown any evidence) doing 101mph on a motorway (70mph limit), by a mobile camera on a motorway bridge over the road..... First offence. I got an £800 fine and a 14 day ban.

PS

Insurance went up from ~£200 a year to over ~£1200 because of the ban.

PPS

There are average speed cameras in the Limehouse Link tunnel but people regularly exceed the ludicrous 30mph limit... do they know something I dont ?

The cameras aren't treated as seperate cameras like normal ones. The whole idea behind average speed cameras is that they record the time you passed the first, record the time you pass the second, then work out your average speed over the distance between the cameras. You can't "be fined twice for the two cameras" because they are a pair.

Thats a relief. What if there are 6 cameras on that stretch of road tho. If they come in pairs does that mean she will get three fines?

From the specs website:

How does it work?

SPECS uses linked video cameras to monitor a length of road. Linked cameras do not have to be adjacent; they may bracket other cameras within the speed control zone. Despite what you may read in the press, SPECS is not lane specific, or limited to vehicles that enter and exit the zone in the same lane.

The video cameras continuously capture images of vehicles as they pass through the field of view of the camera. Their number plates are read using Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) and the average speed of the vehicle is calculated between the linked cameras, over the known baseline distance. If this exceeds the Police speed threshold, an offence record is created and violation images and data are logged.

So, lane changing should not matter.

Regards,

Mike

Because speedos legally have to read high to allow for wear and tear affecting the readings and maybe showing you doing less than you are really doing. Can show up to 10% higher than you are actually doing.
well thanks for that..but it all sounds a bit vague,sort of depending on how old the car is etc...rick:|