99point99

Faulty iMac - manufacturing fault - who do I claim from?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2678 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

On 29 March 2007 I purchased a brand new intel iMac from Computer Warehouse.

After a couple years I started having problems with the screen, vertical lines appeared all over the LCD - I was unable to make use of the computer eventually as the increasing number of lines across the screen made this impossible. After many months of frustration and leaving my machine unused for almost a year, my partner started studying and needed my iMac urgently to do her work - I took it into Apple and they repaired it in May 2011. (But my first contact with them about this was around 9 months before around July/August 2010 but I never got round to taking it in until May 2011 as it wasn't urgent until then.

As it turns out, I am not the only person to experience this problem with the iMac - this fault is a well documented in the USA, a manufacturing problem common amongst iMacs with a serial starting with W8 (made in Shanghai). I think Apple got sued (or were threatened) in a class action suit - and they instituted a service agreement to fix these models. Apple replaced the LCD screen in my machine in May 2011 under some 'service agreement' due to this fault. Only... a few months later the fault re-occured - with a vengeance. Same lines back across the screen but more and bigger!! And after only 4 or 5 months. Again I could not use the computer and took it back in Feb 2012. Now they wont fix the problem again - they want to charge me £430 for the new screen and labour. Their reasoning is that the ‘service agreement’ has expired on this model of iMac and it is no longer covered.

The problem I have is that when they replaced the LCD screen I do not believe that they fixed the problem with the computer.

Or perhaps their service just wasn't very good. A screen should last longer than a few months surely?!

After writing to the store manager and asking for a resolution, he called me but refused to fix it for free and would only offer me a goodwill gesture of 20% off a new machine as he said my machine is very old and I wouldn't succeed in claiming anything for it through normal channels. He also suggested that I should take my case up with Computer Warehouse who sold it to me.

I paid £700 for the computer and got less than 3 years out of it. Thats nearly a quid a day - and it wasn't even used every day - if anything it was lightly used.

What on earth should I do? My partner needs this computer more than I do to do her studies but Apple want £430 to service it.

:-(

BANKING

Halifax - £428.43 - successful claim

Halifax PPI - £380 - successful claim

NatWest - £2853 - Successful Claim

Barclaycard - £663 - Successful Claim

Barclaycard PPI - £360 - Successful Claim

RETAIL

Lastminute.com - £190 - Successful Claim

Benson For Beds - £49 - Successful Claim

Santander - £420 - Successful claim to have iMac repaired under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act (Retailer went bust)

Hi 99

Welcome to CAG

Have a read of 12 and 13 in my signature.

Send the letter Recorded. Your first port of call is the 'Retailer'. Don't hang about.

Let us now what they say.

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

Welcome to Consumer Action Group

'Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.'

Joshua J. Marine

1) CLAIM BACK ALL PENALTY CHARGES CLICK HERE

2) CLAIM BACK ALL MIS-SOLD PPI CLICK HERE

3) COMPOUNDED CONTRACTUAL INTEREST CLICK HERE

4) REQUEST CCA FROM CREDITOR CLICK HERE

5) OFT- UNENFORCEABLE AGREEMENTS CLICK HERE

6) CAREY V HSBC (2009) CLICK HERE

7) DON'T BE BULLIED BY CREDITORS / DCA's CLICK HERE

8) IN DEBT DON'T PANIC CLICK HERE

9) FULL AND FINAL SETTLEMENT CLICK HERE

10) SALE OF GOODS ACT-EDUCATE YOUR RETAILER CLICK HERE

11) DISTANCE SELLING-EDUCATE YOR RETAILERCLICK HERE

12) SOGA SUMMARY CLICK HERE

13) WHICH? TEMPLATES [/url]CLICK HERE

14) DOES YOU BANK TREAT YOU FAIRLY BCOBSCLICK HERE

15) EVERYTHING HOUSING CLICK HERE

16) UTILITY BACKBILLING CLICK HERE

17) OFGEM - COMPLAINTSCLICK HERE

18) OFCOM - COMPLAINTS CLICK HERE

DON'T GIVE UP, THIS SITE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH GUIDANCE AND EMPOWERMENT

Don't forget to donate to this site

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers

Well after a few weeks of firing off letters to the head office address on the Computer Warehouse website and then after a month of waiting finally getting up the courage to issue a Moneyclaim against them I thought I would just call their head office one more time.

Well turns out that Computer Warehouse are owned by a group called 'The Square Group' who bought the trading name and url and email address, apparently the company trading as Computer Warehouse when I bought my computer were liquidated around 5 years ago.

So it looks like this story has reached an unresolved conclusion - with the company I wanted to claim from seemingly dead and buried.

Boo.

:-(

BANKING

RETAIL

Santander - £420 - Successful claim to have iMac repaired under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act (Retailer went bust)

My girlfriend asked me a question yesterday which I have now come to think might be a really good idea - she asked me why don't I get Apple to fix the machine again or possibly start proceedings against them seeing that the retailer does not exist.

Does this sound like a crazy idea or a good idea - according to UK legislature a consumer must approach the retailer for a refund or to have an item fixed - but what if that retailer went bust?!

Any thoughts appreciated!

BANKING

RETAIL

How did you pay?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

After reading some other threads on similar issues I realised that although the retailer went bust I can still make a claim against the credit card company - Santander. So I have started up the process under Section 75 of the consumer credit agreement! New plan!

BANKING

RETAIL

I m happy to report that Santander have agreed to reimburse me the money I requested they pay for my computer to be fixed under Section 75 - a total of £420.

This comes five years after I bought my computer - I am finally getting the money to have it repaired! I may as well just go and buy a new computer instead.

BANKING

RETAIL