• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

ESA - The never ending story begins again

eliotnpt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My earlier posts explain what I had to go through when I, like almost everyone else, failed my "assessment" with Atos for ESA, my appeal, going without any benefit for many weeks and then receiving a telephone call out of the blue (with a confirmation letter a few days later) stating the Department had overturned the Atos decision and placed me in the Support Group. That was 1st December 2011, a little over 3 months ago.

Today I received a letter stating that I am to expect another questionnaire to complete to assess my fitness for work - in spite of being told over the telephone in December that the Department had assessed I was wholly incapable of working and so required to be in the Support Group.

I telephoned for an explanation and was told it was standard procedure and would I like someone to telephone me back "within three hours" to explain. Three hours later, the awaited telephone call came and it was a total stonewall. I was told first that my initial letter saying I had been awarded ESA will state how long I qualify for, 6, 12 or 24 months, before another assessment is due. I had the letter in front of me, it says nothing of that and there is no place for it to appear either. I was then told that I will have had a second letter giving this information. No such letter has ever been received by me, and I keep all official correspondence going back more than a decade. The lady on the phone then asked if I would like her to find my file and send me a copy of the letter, which she was "sure" had been sent to me. I stated she should have had my file in front of her before even telephoning and that I would require not just a copy of the letter but full confirmation of the date of the file on their computer system to ensure someone didn't just write out a letter today and backdate it. She asked if I would like to speak to a Manager, adding that he would say the same as she did. I declined at that point, asking her to locate my file, read it and then telephone me back (she has not yet done so).

So the timeline is... Atos Medical in October, benefit stopped whilst I appealed even though I requested being paid at the lower rate, 1st December Atos decision overturned and I was placed in the support group, March told to expect another Atos assessment. This is intolerable! I even asked on this second call today whether a medically qualified person had been reviewing cases in the office prior to calling people for assessment (which I understand is supposed to be the correct process) and my question was totally blanked, no way was I going to get an answer to that one.

I know many people using these forums have been called for follow-up "assessments" with Atos after winning their appeals. Do any of you have a letter saying how long you are to receive ESA before another "assessment"? Did any of you have written on your initial notification letter of ESA being granted how long it was to be paid for?

Three months of hell at the end of last year, most without any benefit, whilst this was sorted out. I then receive just 16 payments of benefit and am told I have to start the process all over again. In a few weeks I shall be 60 years of age, an age my doctors never expected me to reach, and until a few years ago I would have been offered the choice of moving onto Pension Credits (now I believe I have to wait until I am 62 years of age), and as each day my health continues to deteriorate, all I seem to be doing in my final years is trying to fight for benefits.

Does anyone have any advice to offer at this stage? Or can anyone answer my questions in this post?

My earlier posts explain what I had to go through when I, like almost everyone else, failed my "assessment" with Atos for ESA, my appeal, going without any benefit for many weeks and then receiving a telephone call out of the blue (with a confirmation letter a few days later) stating the Department had overturned the Atos decision and placed me in the Support Group. That was 1st December 2011, a little over 3 months ago.

Today I received a letter stating that I am to expect another questionnaire to complete to assess my fitness for work - in spite of being told over the telephone in December that the Department had assessed I was wholly incapable of working and so required to be in the Support Group.

I telephoned for an explanation and was told it was standard procedure and would I like someone to telephone me back "within three hours" to explain. Three hours later, the awaited telephone call came and it was a total stonewall. I was told first that my initial letter saying I had been awarded ESA will state how long I qualify for, 6, 12 or 24 months, before another assessment is due. I had the letter in front of me, it says nothing of that and there is no place for it to appear either. I was then told that I will have had a second letter giving this information. No such letter has ever been received by me, and I keep all official correspondence going back more than a decade. The lady on the phone then asked if I would like her to find my file and send me a copy of the letter, which she was "sure" had been sent to me. I stated she should have had my file in front of her before even telephoning and that I would require not just a copy of the letter but full confirmation of the date of the file on their computer system to ensure someone didn't just write out a letter today and backdate it. She asked if I would like to speak to a Manager, adding that he would say the same as she did. I declined at that point, asking her to locate my file, read it and then telephone me back (she has not yet done so).

So the timeline is... Atos Medical in October, benefit stopped whilst I appealed even though I requested being paid at the lower rate, 1st December Atos decision overturned and I was placed in the support group, March told to expect another Atos assessment. This is intolerable! I even asked on this second call today whether a medically qualified person had been reviewing cases in the office prior to calling people for assessment (which I understand is supposed to be the correct process) and my question was totally blanked, no way was I going to get an answer to that one.

I know many people using these forums have been called for follow-up "assessments" with Atos after winning their appeals. Do any of you have a letter saying how long you are to receive ESA before another "assessment"? Did any of you have written on your initial notification letter of ESA being granted how long it was to be paid for?

Three months of hell at the end of last year, most without any benefit, whilst this was sorted out. I then receive just 16 payments of benefit and am told I have to start the process all over again. In a few weeks I shall be 60 years of age, an age my doctors never expected me to reach, and until a few years ago I would have been offered the choice of moving onto Pension Credits (now I believe I have to wait until I am 62 years of age), and as each day my health continues to deteriorate, all I seem to be doing in my final years is trying to fight for benefits.

Does anyone have any advice to offer at this stage? Or can anyone answer my questions in this post?

My birthday is in May and I will be 61 and will receive Pension credit from the 7th of July.

Suppose it depends on when your birthday is.

hello, i am in the same boat.

i failed the medical in october but the decision was overturned in january, a day later i got a new questionarre and now have another medical on the 19th of this month.

To add to my first post of this thread...

I have since hunted through all major government web sites, through numerous forums, contacted various organisations by email and have spoken to a number of people who receive ESA (most in the WRAG, some in the Support Group). Without exception, all stated categorically there was no notification of time limit or renewal dates on the official notification of award from the JobCentre and none received any additional letter to give a time limit or renewal date of award.

Indeed, the closest I have come so far to an answer is that the Atos "professional" actually gives that recommendation at the time of completion of the "medical report" and it was suggested I apply for a copy of that report to see the date. I already have that report, and since Atos failed me at my medical then there is no such reference to a renewal date.

Unless anyone has any official notification to explain otherwise, it is clear that I was stonewalled on the telephone yesterday by two different people. The closest I have come to recommended renewal dates appear in several web sites and are given as 6 months or 12 months for those in the WRAG and 12 months, 2 years or 3 years in the Support Group.

I am still awaiting the call back that was promised yesterday when the person I spoke with had tracked down my file to read it through and then speak with me again.

I had to go through the appeal process too and after many many months keeping me waiting I was placed in the support group, I do recall reading something in the "assessment" documents that it was thought I would make a full recovery in 6 months, not only do they not overly have extensive knowledge in the illnesses they are assessing but apparently they think they can see the future too. On my appeal papers it does state how long I would be placed in the Support Group for, mines was 6 months, which I guess was based on what I said previously, it's not been 6 months and they sent me the ESA50 after 4 months, how they work that one out, I don't know! my doctor found it quite amusing when he was writing me medical reports, I think my doctor would love to be honest in letters he writes for me to tell these people to buzz off and leave me alone because they clearly exacerbate peoples problems.

Quixotic, the 6 month review date is meant to be when the WCA decision is available. So the ESA50 would be sent out X amount of weeks in advance of that - with a 4 week timescale to return it. They then decide if a WCA appointment is required and arrange that shortly after so that the report is available to a Decision Maker by the time the 6 months has elapsed. Thats the theory anyway...

eliotnpt, not sure which letter the date is mentioned but one should have been sent to you. DWP can send you a duplicate but it won't make much difference, you will still need to go through the review if you wish to continue with your claim. Make sure you read all the advice on the WCA process and hopefully it will go a but better for you this time!!

I thought anyone following this thread would be interested in the latest development

My friend and carer again telephoned the JobCentre this morning to enquire why we have still not received the expected call back after two days have passed. He again repeated all the information required and was told we would have a call back within three hours. This time the call back came with ten minutes... and there the problems started.

After again answering numerous "security" questions, and in spite of his already speaking to three people this week in that department, he was told they could no longer speak with him about my case, they wished to speak with me directly. He advised that I was unable to speak on the telephone and was presently heavily medicated. He was told that I would therefore have to hand write a letter to the Department giving consent for my friend to speak with them (although they have already had this in the past) or else write and tell them that I wished to speak with them. Are you beginning to smell a rat, as the saying goes?

It didn't end there... he was told that whether I spoke to them or he spoke to them, they first required to know in advance what questions we wished answered and they would then decide if they were prepared to answer any of those questions. He was also told quite clearly that there would be no discussion about my case, whether to him or to me, they would only give answers to questions submitted in advance. He made it clear that we wished only to know why I had never been advised of an ESA review nor been given official notification of a date. He was told that was a question they were not prepared to answer.

My friend then advised the lady that I had right of access to all information by law. The telephone call was then terminated by the JobCentre.

All very unusual, we thought. What is on my file that they do not wish me to see? What is on my file that they are refusing to disclose? And why want not only advance notice of questions but also terminate a polite enquire when reference is made that I have a legal right of sight of such documents?

To think, had I not appealed when Atos failed me 4 months ago, had I not had that decision reversed by the JobCentre and been placed into the Support Group, then perhaps they would have left me alone? It certainly appears that guidelines are not being followed and that those who are presently receiving ESA are being actively hounded in preference to the Department continuing to interview Incapacity Benefit claimants.

Now I have my new questionnaire to complete and must go through the entire process once again - and without even being told when my review date should be.