Jump to content


  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Ok so Starling came back to me and said they have made some changes on my account and I should now be able to use the 'switch' option. I have a Monzo account which I opened when I opened the Starling account, but I have not used it as yet because I was happy with Starling. I feel like I am seriously running out of options. If Monzo do the same as Startling and let me set up all my direct debits and standing orders etc and then tell me they're closing my account in so many months, what do I do then? Where do I get a bank account?  I have applied to Nationwide, got the account set up and all the details etc. Then today received an email saying sorry they were not going ahead with the account and it would be closed today. They didn't give me the option of a super basic account. I have tried RBS and Co-op too and they basically did and said the same.  I feel like a leper or something. I have only defaulted on my loans one month. It hasn't even shown up on my credit report yet, but these knock backs are definitely to do with my credit score because RBS said " Unfortunately, having made those checks we are unable to proceed with opening your account at this stage."  I don't know what to do.  I did open a Co-operative account and have all the details and even a debit card, but when I'm trying to register for online/mobile banking it is just saying for security reasons the account is locked and to call this number, which I managed to get through to the other day after holding for an hour. I am on hold again now but with what's happened with Nationwide and RBS, I am not feeling particularly optimistic. Any advice on where to go or what to do next? x
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know.  This is much appreciated because sadly most people don't. We have a new Alliance case which has pushed me to look at old cases.  The good news is that, for all their bluster, Alliance have never had the bottle to take a Cagger to court. Please do come back though if they ever send you a Letter of Claim.
    • Thanks for this update. Well done it's a good result. Typical of this company EVRi – they dangle you around for over a year and then tried a quibble to try and save a few quid – but actually it's not about saving money it's about saving face. I don't see why they bother to save face because they have no shame. They were prepared to smash up your mother's birthday and then refused to pay you out a paltry 75 quid or so – even though they know full well that you have third-party rights and they know full well that the little insurance scam is contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the Consumer Rights Act. I wonder what they would do if it was their own mothers? Well done for standing your ground. Well done for resisting mediation which would simply have added an extra stage to the process and of course they would then have threatened you to keep quiet if you revealed what had happened. You can see they are desperate to avoid further judgements against them. They know that what they are doing is unlawful but it is making them huge profits and they don't want to rock the boat! Hopefully you have learned enough that if this kind of thing happens again with EVRi or any other company, you will feel confident about taking it forward although of course we will be here to help you and support you as you need. Thank you for the donation. I am sending you an email about this.  
  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 
       

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

       

      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

Kate v Halifax ***SETTLED IN FULL***


katierose79
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

 

Please click the "Report " link

 

at the bottom of one of the posts.

 

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

 

Thanks

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I've just received a letter from a 'Customer Services Officer' at the Halifax Card Services (4 days before the deadline!) who wrote the following: "I regret to advise i am unable to refund the charges in question as they were applied to your account as per your original agreement". In other words, when i signed the terms and conditions i agreed for them to rip me off!! She also had to rub it in that they have now reduced their charge fee to £12.

 

Can anyone tell me if this is a standard response letter i should expect and if so, is my next step to threaten to take them to court?

 

I have noticed that there are a lot of people out there who have had thousands in charges taken from them - i've only had £850 (small fry in comparison) so i was kind of expecting them to just pay up.

 

Thanks

 

Kate

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome aboard.

 

This is fairly standard. You do not need to pay any attention to it and should proceed with your claim at your timescale (as always).

 

If this was in response to the Prelim Request for Repayment letter, then you are correct in thinking that you should issue the LBA (Letter Before Action).

 

Best of luck

..

.

 

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

 

Not much to report on really. I have sent them a LBA letter. Their deadline for responding is 18th October. As they responded to my preliminary letter the day before the deadline I'm hoping they will do the same again. I must admit, I'm a little miffed. A friend of mine has demanded her bank charges be refunded (£2500) and they made her an offer after receiving her prelim letter, and the Halifax are stringing me along for my £820 - what's going on???? Hopefully I will get a postive response next week!!:idea:

 

Thanks

 

Kate

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Not much to report on really. I have sent them a LBA letter. Their deadline for responding is 18th October. As they responded to my preliminary letter the day before the deadline I'm hoping they will do the same again. I must admit, I'm a little miffed. A friend of mine has demanded her bank charges be refunded (£2500) and they made her an offer after receiving her prelim letter, and the Halifax are stringing me along for my £820 - what's going on???? Hopefully I will get a postive response next week!!:idea:

 

Thanks

 

Kate

 

I wouldn't worry. I didn't get an offer until I had actually filed my MCOL. In any case, Halifax have been withdrawing offers which haven't been accepted as "full and final". If you haven't heard anything by the deadline then just press on with your claim. I did, and I had an offer for the full amount 2 days after I filed.

 

Think of the trips to the post office to post your "thanks but, I would like the full amount" letters it is saving you!!

 

Sarah

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Further developments. I have now received an offer (half of my total claim £410) 1 day before my LBA deadline (18th October). Can anyone advise me how I should proceed as I would like to reject this offer on the basis that I would accept this as part payment but am unsure as to how I would word the last paragraph of the Response to settlement offer:-

 

'My letter before action sent previously indicates that you have until 18/10/06 to respond before Court action commences. You are reminded that there will be no extension to this timescale'.

Would it be advisable to give them a further 7 days to respond?:confused:

Many Thanks

Kate

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I posted my reply re: settlement and nothing!!!! Can anyone tell me what kind of charges I would incurr filing the MCOL (and i'm in Scotland - does that make a difference?) The trouble is, i'm processing a claim for my credit card charges and a claim for my husband, court fees could prove too much.:(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I posted my reply re: settlement and nothing!!!! Can anyone tell me what kind of charges I would incurr filing the MCOL (and i'm in Scotland - does that make a difference?) The trouble is, i'm processing a claim for my credit card charges and a claim for my husband, court fees could prove too much.:(

 

I filled two claims against HFX this morning. One claim for £1100 cost me £120 to file. The other claim for £600 cost me £80 to file on MCOL. Costs will be reimbursed by HFX upon settlement/judgement.

Regards

 

 

S

 

 

Halifax PLC - £607 - SETTLED IN FULL

Halifax Card Services - £1142 - SETTLED IN FULL

 

MBNA Europe - £842 - SETTLED IN FULL + INTEREST!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest bluecloud

If you live north of the border you can't use MCOL unless you have an address in England or Wales to which documents can be sent.

 

Visit the Sheriff Court with three copies of the form of summons (Form 1) and three copies of the schedule of charges.

 

You will need £39 to file the claim. You may need another £26 if the Sheriff has to seve the claim.

 

The only thing to watch out for it, under Scottish Law, the maximum value of the claim is £750.

 

You find find more information from the ScotCourts website:

 

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/sheriff/small_claims/forms/what_is_small_claim.pdf

 

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/sheriff/small_claims/forms/taking_claim_to_court.pdf

 

 

.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I've just received a letter from a 'Customer Services Officer' at the Halifax Card Services (4 days before the deadline!) who wrote the following: "I regret to advise i am unable to refund the charges in question as they were applied to your account as per your original agreement". In other words, when i signed the terms and conditions i agreed for them to rip me off!! She also had to rub it in that they have now reduced their charge fee to £12.

 

Can anyone tell me if this is a standard response letter i should expect and if so, is my next step to threaten to take them to court?

 

I have noticed that there are a lot of people out there who have had thousands in charges taken from them - i've only had £850 (small fry in comparison) so i was kind of expecting them to just pay up.

 

Thanks

 

Kate

Kate

I went through the same with the Halifax, issued court notice and then they wrote and said they would pay back all monies owed...but it was just before deadline!

Just go for the KILL.

Best of luck

Allan

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I've done it - I filed my claim this morning at the Sheriff Clerks office. Court date scheduled for January 2007, fingers crossed I hear from them soon. I wouldn't have had the bottle to do this if it weren't for the encouragement from those on the forum - thanks again for all the advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Update - my two part claim (my credit card charges and my hubby's)

 

They agreed to pay my charges back on 6th November and I finally received a cheque from them for the full amount yesturday (£310)!!!! We still haven't heard anything from them regarding my husbands small claims summons though which is a little unnerving as I filled it on 31st October and the court date is set for Jan 07!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Well. We have now received a letter from the Halifax dated 1st December, just over 4 weeks after we filed our small claims summons. Having reviewed my husband's claim they believe their previous offer to refund HALF the amount we are claiming to be fair, and that this is their final offer. HELP....should we accept or continue with the court claim - court date set is 3rd January 2007.

 

They paid my claim in full after I refused their 1st office, so why have they made this offer to my husband for a 2nd time - is this normal?

 

Starting to panic a bit now:o

Link to post
Share on other sites

Final Update folks.

 

We received a letter from Halifax legal services today (1 day after posting reply to previous offer - which goes to show they were trying their luck!) offering to pay my husband the full amount of his claim plus court fees. There excuse was that it would not be financially viable for them to defend against our claim in court - Whatever!

 

So for anyone who is a bit nervous about this, just keep at it, it does work.:rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done for sticking with it:)

Son v Halifax settled in full £292

Another son v Halifax settled in full £30

Bigmama59 v NatWest settled in full £4739.69:)

Son v Halifax 2nd claim settled in full £130

Bigmama v Halifax settled in full £1125

Link to post
Share on other sites

CONGRATULATIONS

 

Don't forget to complete the SURVEY

..

.

 

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...