Incorrect Default Notice by Orange wrecked my credit.

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3192 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi everyone;

I had an account with Orange for a mobile phone which was well past it's contract date. Last year, in May 2011, I cancelled the account with Orange and transferred the phone number to O2. I was told by Orange at the time that my account was closed and I did not owe Orange anything. I have not received ANY correspondence from

Orange since that date about any final or overdue payments.

Over the last eight months since June 2011 we have been trying to restructure our outstanding debt. We have also tried to arrange a new mortgage on our property. All such attempts were met with refusal which destroyed our financial plans and caused us great hardship.

In January 2012 I checked my Equifax, Experian and CallCredit credit ratings and discovered that after I had left Orange in May they raised an invoice for £10 that they did did not tell me about or send an invoice for. I also discovered that for every month from June 2011 Orange informed all the credit agencies I had not paid that invoice right up until December 2011, at which time they then placed my account into Default and notified all the credit agencies. My previously held 'Excellent' rating that I had for many years dropped to 'Poor' with all three agencies.

Orange's actions have had an extremely serious effect on our finances - we could not even open a new bank current account.

I have requested from Orange copies of the letters that they 'allegedly' sent out to me over this £10 charge, as well as the letters informing us that we would be in default if we did not pay. To date they have not produced those letters, and every one of Orange's representatives spoken to cannot tell me WHEN these letters were supposed to have been sent out because there is no record on their system.

I believe that Orange's actions since May 2011 are tantamount to libel by stating something to the Credit Agencies that had no basis in fact i.e. that we were in default when they hadn't even told us that they had raised a £10 charge on my Orange

account AFTER it was closed.

We have suffered 8 months of distress, humiliation and financial hardship because of these actions by Orange.

Orange have now informed the three Credit Reference Agencies and have removed the Default and all Late Payment notices to them, backdated to May 2011, and my credit rating has now been restored with all three agencies.

I have tried to complain to Orange about how unhappy I am over their actions and the amount of distress and financial difficulty they have caused by me being unable to restructure my finances and being turned down for credit over the last 8 months or so, but I just get shunted from one call-centre bod to another.

My question is this: should I pursue Orange for any compensation and apology, and if so, how should I go about it?

Thanks in advance for ANY advice or assistance.

17th July 2006 - Small Claims Court action filed

20th July 2006 - Claim deemed to have been served

24th July 2006 - Defendent filed an Acknowledgment of Service

17th August 2006 - Defendant's solicitors filed a defence (Sechiari Clark & Mitchell).

24th August 2006 - Defence & AQ received.

13th October 2006 - Court orders a stay until 11th Nov to reach settlement - yeah, right. http://cag-images.co.uk/forum/images/buttons/edit.gif

Hi, Can you tell us more about the rest of your ''outstanding debt''

it seems as you say odd that a default for £10 has caused this problem.

There may be other reasons for being rejected, but it is hard to see why

you have been rejected, is there any possibility that a joint application

would be declined??

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi there, and thanks for replying.

The 'outstanding debts' are the usual suspects - mortgage and credit cards. Not a blemish on any of those accounts, no late payments etc. As far as the credit cards are concerned I owe about 30% of my total credit limit, which apparently is looked upon favourably as it is below the 50% that a lot of potential lenders consider the maximum.

All three credit reports now have the Orange default totally removed; with CallCredit the rating is 'Average',; with Equifax it is 'Very Good', and with Experian it is 'Excellent'.

When the Orange Default was on with all the agencies, all three gave me a 'Poor' rating.

I suspect that when a potential lender accesses a credit report it is only the credit score that they are interested in. The fact that the Default was for only £10 is either not available to them or they just don't enquire why the credit rating is so low.

17th July 2006 - Small Claims Court action filed

20th July 2006 - Claim deemed to have been served

24th July 2006 - Defendent filed an Acknowledgment of Service

17th August 2006 - Defendant's solicitors filed a defence (Sechiari Clark & Mitchell).

24th August 2006 - Defence & AQ received.

13th October 2006 - Court orders a stay until 11th Nov to reach settlement - yeah, right. http://cag-images.co.uk/forum/images/buttons/edit.gif

Hi, What a lot of people don't realise is the

fact that the ''credit score'' is intended only

as a day to guide for the data subject, lenders

check Public information CCJs, defaults etc but

and it is a big but ALL lenders have their own

unique ''credit rating'' systems which of course

are never revealed to any applicant, there are

many reasons apart from your personal records

that can affect a lenders decision.

I have dealt with a problem similar to yours

for a very wealthy person who was seeking a

mortagage for a 2nd. home he was turned down

by his own bank and other high street lender all

credit files excellent we achieved absolutely nothing

and he used capital to by the property???

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: