Tax credit fraud!!

ECB49
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4239 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

try not to worry, apparently they are inundated with queries at the moment, its just a waiting game. is your situation similar to mine? they can't treat you any different to anyone else, you would just have to re pay. try not to worry it will be ok x

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I'd posted a thread re tax credit fraud in a different place on this site and was glad when ECB49 replied to me. My tax credit dates back to 2003 when my husband i split up as he had a girlfriend. He went to live with his mum/dad but never registered himself living at their address because his mum was claiming benefits. Although he lived with them for several years, we continued to have a joint account as we were in debt. Plus they only lived across the road from me so he picked his mail up on a daily basis. In 2006 i moved to my mum's house and gave him our house because his dad became sick and he had to move out of his mum's house. Whilst at my mum's i applied for a divorce but didnt proceed with it as i couldn't afford it. After his dad's death he moved back to his mum's and i moved back home. Following the advice of a solicitor in2007, i arranged a debt consolidation plan and we re-opened old but separate bank accounts. Unfortunately both registered to the home address! As i was paying the debt plan out of my account my husband would pay bills in lieu of what he owed me. Also as i was denied a debit card for my account (due to debt consolidation) i would give my husband cash so that he could pay bills for me over the internet. Anyway, in 2010 his mother became very ill and her landlord was selling the house they lived in and so i agreed that he could stay with me. His mother died in 2010 and he's been with me ever since. My problem is i know i've done wrong since 2010, but if they go back any further i can't prove he didnt live here as his mum is only person who can vouch for us and she's dead. there are no other family members except my mum and our children. if they go back to 2003 i could be looking at benefits of £65k plus! Could i be jailed for this seeing i can prove nothing except the period of time i lived at my mums! Mind you my wages were still registered to my home address as i knew i'd be returning there at some stage. Like everyone else i feel a high level of anxiety and cant eat or sleep. Can anyone else shed any light about jail. If my kids were left in the care of my husband they would be very unhappy as they don't have a great relationship with him. :sad:

ECB49 - try not to worry, i know its easier said than done - maybe you could call them again tomorrow? I felt the same i.e why are they calling me back so quickly if everyone else is taking longer - i think we are all so on edge our thoughts are irrational at the moment. I had all sorts of crazy thoughts going through my head - still do but i feel better than i did this morning. Just a waiting game now.

Gildo - poor you, i suspect they wont bother with anything before 2010 if thats what your letter says - they never asked me about before that time so try not to worry. They did tell me that they dont prosecute or issue penalty as its something to do with human rights?!?

xxx

Hi im back sorry it took so long to reply ,it was also the preston office i had to ring and it took about a month to get my overpayment letter saying how much hmrc was wanting back (its like a loan to them) i told them that the house was mortgaged in both our names (tax credits dont think that married people split up and dont get divorced straight away;they also dont believe that people can go back to their parents house while seperated).

The person on the phone did say we have loads of evidence regarding he is living with you

Ie credit reference agencies but like said above its also his house and he applied for car finance he didnt stop to ask cause its his house too.

Im paying back £50 a month for 20 years so £12.50 a week not a lot but still none of us should have to pay it back as we was single not like we claiming £50k housing benefit a year like some do in london

Hi doomed - did they go into your income/outgoings in order to agree on £50 a month? Or did you suggest that figure? You are right - they dont live in the real world do they? x

Hey Maud26

thanks for your reply and i wish everyone was as sympathetic as you. do you mind me asking what you are being reviewed for? there's far more to my tale as there's an ongoing police investigation and i needed my husband around to protect my family and also needed to care for me during a period of illness which is ongoing. I think the prospect of jail worries me most. Don't want to leave my children as they have been through a lot recently.

:sad:

Hi doomed - did they go into your income/outgoings in order to agree on £50 a month? Or did you suggest that figure? You are right - they dont live in the real world do they? x

They asked for all our outgoings including sky lol and i said £50 and they were happy with that

Gildo - i wish i could say something to reassure you further - i have spent two days beating myself up, thinking i'm a bad parent etc and blaming myself but i cant take full responsibility if they have had this info since april 2010. My other half has been in and out of our lives for the past 2 years - mainly due to my illness as i'm having chemotherapy at the moment but i didnt even try to explain that, it was pointless! they just assured me that there would be no prosecution or penalty so i really think you will be fine hun xxx

Aww thanks maud26. I can accept the mistake i've made from 2010 - 2012 but back in 2003 i hated his bloody guts! lol. He had 2 girlfriends that i know of and he was very aggressive! In actual fact i threw him out again in Jan 2011 due to aggression, but illness makes you rely on people you'd normally not want near you! Just want this all over and done with so i can get on with the other problems i have:sad:!

I know exactly what you mean :-/ i wonder myself how we made it to today sometimes but i guess what doesnt kill you makes you stronger!! Try and stay strong - we are all in it together xxx

Its been 2 weeks since I called and they said they would call back when i received the dreaded letter - still waiting!!!!! Still received payment last week (even though I have advised change of circumstances that another adult is now residing at this address) so do I just carry on waiting or do I call them back (again)???? Fed up with tax credits and the misery they bring!!!!

I know exactly how you feel. I was to ring the number on the review letter by 8th March, which i did but to date still no reply. I then went to CAB for advice and was told to ring the normal tax credit number and let them know of a change in circumstances but when i tried to do that they told me to go away and think about what i was telling them!!! I rang again this morning to tell them about my change in circumstances and they then told me i need to ring the number on the letter i got!!! I said to the grumpy woman who answered the fone "but i already rang this number and they still haven't returned my call" to which she replied ... "they are probably making further enquiries!!!" Needless to say i feel like vomiting and i've barely eaten all day. I'm actually gonna try and go to a different CAB as the man at the local one i visited spent most of my appointment hoking around the internet coz he couldn't answer my questions. In summary, most of my appointment i was spent in silence though they did say i wouldn't be jailed! All i want to do is just pay back what i owe even if it takes me from now til i die to do it!

gildo I so relate to you, just want it sorted so I can get on with my life, its the most horrible feeling, everytime the phone rings I jump!!!! Have got it all written down what I have to say to them, though I know it will do me no favours but just want it over with, will give them a couple of more days then will ring them and see what they have to say!!!! - Good luck to you and keep ur head up, remember when we signed that declaration it did not say anywhere on that form about dissosiation from your ex so therefore we did not know it was wrong to let them receive mail etc at our addresses, they need to make the guide lines alot clearer and then so many people would not be in this mess!!

ECB49 I dont even remember signing anything lol. I always just rang them with the amount on my P60! You're not gonna believe this but i literally worried myself sick today. I suffer with menieres disease and had a really bad attack today and couldnt go to work. Im willing to admit my mistake, even though my husband was only staying with me temporarily in 2010 and we really have only "got back together" within the last couple of months. He's mostly been my carer and has also been taking care of our children due to an ongoing harassment issue where we live. So today has been a bit of a wake up call to me ... what will be will be and they will do what they want to me whether i worry myself sick or not! I'm not making any more fone calls coz they have made a fool of me twice now but fingers crossed for all of us who are in this horrible boat

Have tried to ring them (review letter tel num) several times today but got the 'dealing with an influx of calls' answering machine message so rang the tc helpline, spoke to a really lovely lady (wish i could deal with her re this) she advised me that my letter and subsequent tel call has been logged and she would log todays call highlighting that I was concerned and wanted things sorted (good or bad) so fingers crossed i might hear from then soon and might be able to get a none-restless nights sleep for a change!!!

Hey ECB49 did you write them a letter? I was at the doctors today (and was prescribed antidepressants for the stress of this and other stuff going on in my life right now!) and she suggested that i write them a letter explaining my circumstances in 2010 - 2012. that's the first bit of good advice i have been given! Can anyone advise what i say in my letter considering the fact that i don't know what i am being accused of? You see I am thinking that they already know my husband is linked to my address and i should therefore just be truthful about the series of events that led him back to my address. :|

letter? I was at the doctors today (and was prescribed antidepressants for the stress of this and other stuff going on in my life right now!) and she suggested that i write them a letter explaining my circumstances in 2010 - 2012. that's the first bit of good advice i have been given! Can anyone advise what i say in my letter considering the fact that i don't know what i am being accused of? You see I am thinking that they already know my husband is linked to my address and i should therefore just be truthful about the series of events that led him back to my address. :|

my actual letter was regarding my change of circumstances, as tried to phone but either engaged or answering machine. Then I rec'd another tc payment in feb so rang them at beginning of march and advised them of the change but they aid I had to rig a different num as another dept was dealing with it, didnt think anything of this so was waiting till the monday to ring then lo and behold the review letter landed on my doormat on the monday morning to rang them and spoke to a lady who told me that someone would ring back within 2 weeks - still waiting - hence my call today. Gildo I cant see any harm in writing a letter, it might be better to do this, especially if you go to pieces on the phone, and write ur circumstances down but make sure you send it recorded delivery so that you have proof of posing as things do tend to go astray at HMRC!!! Let us know how you get on, fingers crossed I might hear from them tomorrow :-)

thank you ECB49. i think i'm gonna try and get another appointment at a different CAB office as its obvious that HMRC are gonna take a while to get back to us all if they are inundated with calls and in the meantime they will just keep paying us!!! Like you i dread every time the phone rings and i think you're right that if i had it in writing in front of me i could focus better when i finally get the call. Just hate this "limbo" feeling. Just want to get on with life but feel as if i can't enjoy anything at the minute while i'm under so much scrutiny.

Me too! though i took my own advice and went to a different CAB and although i don't live in their postcode area they very kindly agreed to help me. the girl has taken a full history of my separation right up until present circumstances and she's gonna help me compile a letter to send to them. If it wasn't for her i'd have no-one to support me. My health is currently crap and i blame every bit of it on the stress i am feeling right now. Funny how i can look out my window and watch "dubious characters" who haven't worked a day in their lives but who can afford luxury holidays, designer clothes, leather suites and bay windows just go about their business whereas i feel like a criminal hiding in the shadows waiting on my death sentence! :|

Hi - lots of advice and help on forum at netmums.com ib the coffeehouse section ,under tax credits review team letter!

good luck - this is happening to all single claimants with financial associations countrywide