Unmanageable UK CC Debts in NL

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Am a Brit, but have been resident in NL since 2008, where have a permanent job and a mortgage. I brought some credit cards with me, and are registered to my home address here in Holland, and have used them over the last three years, mainly for travelling back and forth to the UK where I have family commitments (elderly and ill parents to look after). I owe about 14,000 on three UK cards. (Barclaycard). Alas, owing to the downturn here, from April my job will be be made part time, and which means that I will be barely able to cover my mortgage, never mind the minimum payments on the credit cards. I'm worried about defaulting, but don't really know what my options are. In a worst case scenario could i be bankrupted for the UK debts here in Holland? Is my house and Dutch credit rating now at risk? Any insight would be appreciated.

Technically they are able to bring a civil action in the NLs but whether they would or not is a different matter. They would more than likely after a period of trying to chase you sell the debts on to a debt collection agency here in the UK and then claim tax relief.

Can you give a little more info about these CCs, was there any PPI involved & have they applied unfair charges at any time?

When you say 'civil action', you mean a petition for bankruptcy served up in NL, even though the cards are issued in the UK?

The cc's are two Barclaycards (6,000 / 5,000) which I've had for 25 years, and an RBS card (2000). There's never been any payment insurance on them, and no unfair charges, mainly because I've managed the debts. Over the years, the barclaycards have had balances run up and cleared regularly, and in that time I've never missed a payment, which is why the prospect of default in the next few months is so troubling and daunting.

When you say 'civil action', you mean a petition for bankruptcy served up in NL, even though the cards are issued in the UK?]
As you have been a non-UK resident for over three years they cannot bankrupt you here they would have to try in the NL, although this is unlikely. They would be more likely to apply for a CCJ there and then maybe the Dutch equivalent of a 'Charging Order' if they were aware that you had assets.

As I said in my previous post it is unlikely that they would pursue legal action in the NLs, although there are cross border agreements it is not the easiest and cheapest of things to do, particularly if they are uncertain of your ability to pay even if they won. They would be more likely to just sell the debts on.

The cc's are two Barclaycards (6,000 / 5,000) which I've had for 25 years
I doubt very much that they would be able to provide a copy of your original agreement so would find it just about impossible to pursue through a Dutch Court without one.

If you reduced your repayments to a more manageable level there is little they can do, they will probably mark your UK credit file as being in default but that would only affect your UK credit rating, they cannot mark your Dutch file.

Even if you can only afford £1 per month by paying that it shows that you are not ignoring the debts. After huffing and puffing the bank will probably accept it for a few months but be prepared for a barrage of telephone calls. if they do ring refuse to answer their 'security' questions and insist all communications are in writing or via email, they won't like it but it's not up to them. ;)

Ideally they will sell the debt on & when they do you will be able to run rings around the DCA.