• Tweets

• should I?  - I figured maybe back log.  I will give them a call then - it's almost 4 months tbf
    • Do you have historical meter readings from before the meters were changed? And more recent history showing consumption, in metered units not in £s,  since the change. One specific thing to check is gas. Check that the meter and the bill use the same units. If the meter is recording cu.m but they're billing as if it was counting 100 cu.ft, then your bill will be nearly three times too high.  Overall I'm guessing it's an Ovo screw up. It's significant that they didn't block the transfer, maybe they aren't so sure of their position.
    • Hmmm, interesting point. In my career, that I am retired from now, there were an immense amount of rules and regulations that one had to adhere to by law. The qualification process is rigorous with on going assessments throughout your career and re-certification every 12 months. If you were shown to be not competent in those rules and regulations you could not hold the position and the operational consequences of that could potentially be dire. In the same respect, perhaps a judge who is not conversant in the rules of POFA should not sit in on cases that requires proficiency in that area? I also bow to your considerable knowledge in this area, perhaps I shouldn't be commenting but by doing so I find it helps the learning process. Your last point has just reminded me of something that may help my case, thank you.
    • Just had an email re the my breache in agreement by her rep.   I asked you yesterday if they had asked about her name in the thread being removed.   The issue they have is the Elizabeth turner and genetic pups entry on google.   they knew I did not put it up and told them so in court.  I dnt know how to post on google.   I told them I cannot remove what I did not post.  when i come back here and saw her name gone from threads title, I presumed her reps sought it.   now I get an email saying her names still on google ur breaching the agreement as it’s still on google.  
    • Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Animal Charities - sometimes not totally forthcoming

Sadcafe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3748 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This posting isn't a direct act of cruelty, but my story is of how the Cats Protection League have treated me and to make people wary of this organisation and question their adoption procedure every step of the way, so you can avoid the heartache I have had to endure over the last 5 months.

I have had many years of happiness, viewing the cats especially at the Derby Branch on Long Lane and giving to the charity on a monthly basis, so when I lost my darling Penny last May to old age (she was 20) I went up at there, with a view to purchasing a cat off them, feeling I was putting something back to the welfare of these cats, who were just looking for love and a new home.

On their open day, this one eared, 2 year old stray cat named Ebony had caught my eye. I stayed for a viewing, there was no malice, almost an instant bond and I knew she was coming home with me.

Seeing that she only had one ear I enquired into how she had lost it, was she a fighter? The answer I was given was that there had been a lump, but nothing sinister had been found. She had also had some dental work done.

From this information and from questions asked on the day I picked her up , always giving me the impression that they had carried out the operations, because how could they have that sort of information reassuring me of her clean bill of health, without having done a biopsy, you can’t guess a diagnosis.

I was informed too that when I took her home, all her medical information would be forwarded on to Pet Plan, because they have a pact with them insuring the cat for its first month in the hope that you will continue with them.

Before the end of that first month, I spoke to Pet Plan, who refused to insure Ebony, because they didn't have any information about the missing ear, they made me feel as if I was keeping something from them and instructed me to contact the branch to find out what was going on. I did so and was told they would forward the notes. They never did as I never heard anything back from Petplan.

Then two months after I had taken her home, I found lump, just below the stump of the missing ear. I immediately took her to my vets and within days a biopsy had taken place, results promising to begin with, but it was decided to remove the lump (growing fast) and take another biopsy of the stump as it had become very swollen too.

Before I received the worst possible news I had tried to contact customer Care Team at Head Office, on three occasions and had no reply apart from we will contact you in due course. Then out of the blue the manager from Derby phoned and said she believed I was having problems with Ebony.

I replied that the problem wasn't with Ebony but with them, as what was promised hadn’t been delivered. Their attitude was that they couldn’t be expected to have all the medical notes to the stray cats; my reply was that they could if they had removed the ear.

It was only then that I was told that they never carried out the operation at all and didn't know who did. She then even suggested that if I wasn't happy I could return her to the centre, this was after firstly telling me at adoption that she could not be returned. You may be a little shocked to hear that I lost my rag at this point, she couldn't understand why; so I put down the phone.

I then sent another email to the customer care department and received no answer.

On the 14th December and after my vet received a few bits and pieces off Derby I was given that dreadful news that it was terminal cancer, rare in a cat that young.

She was put to sleep on the 20th December, we celebrated Christmas early.

Before Christmas, but after Ebony had gone, I contacted a Solicitor for their advise.

The issue isn't financial it's the deception of it all, selling Ebony on without fully disclosing what they knew, denying me the opportunity to judge as to whether I took her or not.

Back in November they informed me and my vet that they didn't know who had taken off the ear, but they have now admitted to my solicitor that they did know and have named the practise in question.

Armed with that information my vet has stated that he would have phoned them directly to find out more (as is worked out, this made no odds to Ebony, her destiny was fixed), but the absence of information from them makes you think who else are they fooling. To top things, Ebony is listed on the other surgeries notes as a 10 years old and they sold me her as a 2 year old. I would not have taken on an older cat if I had known this, again the wool pulled over my eyes. If you are still reading, you might be asking how she had a date of birth. We believe now that she wasn't a stray, as after getting her home it was evident that she wasn't, because she was fully aware of her name and this wasn't a random one given to her, she had had this name for a long time.

This is the information I was given on the 16th September 2011 whilst sitting at the Derby Adoption centre on Long Lane.

I was adopting a 2 year old, one eared cat, which had been taken into the Stoke area and brought over to the Derby Branch for re-homing.

The ear was removed due to a mass/lump, but nothing sinister found and she was covered for the first month by Petplan. The adoption staff also stated that reading between the lines, she felt she wasn’t a stray as the notes indicated that the person bringing her in was far too upset just to be bringing in a stray.

Having then contacted a solicitor, Head Office had to reply to their letter and I started to find out a whole different story.

These are the excuses they have given me to my questions sent to them.

1. The customer care department was having a reshuffle of staff in November Mark Gillies was unaware of the procedures and was unaware that a member of staff at the Derby Branch was visually impaired and couldn’t read emails!!

2. They aren’t obliged to send on information to Petplan if they haven’t carried out the work in the first place! This disturbs me slightly as there are a great deal of disfigured cats at adoption centres, like Ebony, so how do you find out this matter until it’s too late. I have tried to confirm this fact, have sent two emails and today have written to Petplan asking them to confirm this statement, because in Ebony’s case she wasn’t then covered and surely there should be a chain of insurance, because I would have been obliged to mention it, so why not the centre?

3. They stated that they had tried on several occasions to obtain the notes from the vets in Stoke but they refused to send them.

I wrote to the vet in Stoke to ask them if they had refused to send her medical notes and they wrote back to state that there had been no request until January 2012, after my Solicitor had contacted Head Office.

Head Office have gone round in circles, never getting back to the main question as to why I was deceived on adoption day?

Without the intervention from a solicitor I would have never known the truth, even though the full truth will never really come out.

Head Office still believe that Derby have done nothing wrong and for some reason continue to defend their corner, but please keep reading and decided for yourself if on hearing the following, would have entered into this contract.

At the end of the day, after all the Waffle - this is what I should have heard on the 16th September 2011

“We have a one eared black cat that was brought into a vets surgery in Stoke and operated on, with funds from two animal charities, the RSPCA and Animal Welfare paid for the surgery. The person who brought her in for treatment took her home and brought her to us (Derby Branch). She is a 10 year old cat and we can’t say what the lump was as the vets in Stoke didn’t do any further test.

As we didn’t carry out the operation, we aren’t obliged to inform Petplan of her missing ear. Would you still like to adopt this cat?”

Obviously, armed with this correct information it would have been my decision and the outcome would have solely been with me. I should have been given the full truth at adoption.

The true answer to the above, is no on every level, because I wasn’t looking for an older cat with any possible underlying medical problems.

Ask me if I’m glad I did take her and the answer is yes, she was beautiful and had a dignified end, which wouldn’t have been the case if she had been left at the Derby Branch, as they never had her full welfare at heart when she was alive, so they wouldn’t have given a damn about what happened to her when she was dead.

The only thing that Head Office has said is that they admit my complaint could have been handled better and apologise for that. They just don’t appear to comprehend that there wouldn’t have been a complaint if I was told the truth in the first place, or been snubbed until a solicitors intervention forced then respond to me.

I have had response from two other branches who have stated that they never deceive anyone on the history of the animal they place out for adoption and one has even stated that should the cat become ill shortly after adoption, which was in my case, then they would have helped and assisted with fees. Wish I had gone to Essex!!

If this company adopts the same code of practise across the board then why are they so reluctant not to admit that the initial adoption day grossly misled me and left myself and Mother believing something that we all now know isn’t true.

Surely the same level of help and assistance should be given at every branch and it’s a pity Derby don’t have the same standards as some others.

This letter is not going to stop people investing in a cat, but I urge them to ask at lot of questions and try and obtain the information before handing over your money, because once you are out of that door with the cat, you will be forgotten by some branches. If you ask negative question afterward, customer care will just ignore you until you go away.

Should I lose this battle to have Ebony's story told then I know I have made a slight dent in their armour, sending a Moonpig card means they will not forget her face.

There are some great volunteer out there and some individuals have undermined their good work, although I will not have anything more to do with this Charity.

One day Ebony will have Justice.

Edited by citizenB

This is a very sad story, Sadcafe, I certainly hope that you do get Justice for Ebony :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This is truly an awful story and I hopethat you will get some justice some day. I had my reservations about the Cats Protection League after reading on the Internet that they had lost millions because the had invested in a Icelandic Bank. You have to wonder how a non- profitable charity can be sitting on millions, which cats benefitting sat in the bank and why an ofshore bank?

I know there is no comparison, but I have had to return a microwave to Argos on three occasions(within warranty) and they have exchanged every time and on the last occasion even suggested a different model. They have looked after me very well. Pity the Cats Protection couldn't have done the same for you.

I do hope that things work out as people should not be treated this way.

she was covered for the first month by Petplan

This will be the reason you were told she was younger than she really was. That 4 weeks free insurance has an age limit. It's a lot higher for rescues than for breeders or individuals but this isn't the first time I've heard of a rescue deliberately knocking years off a cat's age to make it fit into an insurance bracket.

Thanks for the last posting, the whole issue seems to be murky and reading blogs about animal charities and insurance companies there appears to be some matters that you wonder why they haven't been investigated and wonder why they are allowed to continue unchallenged.

I have heard back from Pet Plan today and they are looking into the matter why they had failed to answer my two emails and then a letter sent by post. In the end I have had to attached my letter sent by post to an email sent to their complaints department. I think, just like the CPL that they just hope you will get fed up and move on. Anyway, they have said they will look into the matter and get back to me, but a simple answer yes or no to my original question of whether the statement from the CPL and I quote "They aren’t obliged to send on information to Petplan if they haven’t carried out the work in the first place!" is all I'm looking for. Why is this such a difficult question to answer? Anyway, to those kind people who have read and posted to this blog I will keep you updated, it might in the long run help spare some of the heartache I have had to go through.

Dreadful i hope you get justice for Ebony, it's not much comfort I know but far better she died being cared for by someone kind and loving and not in the care of the CPL, kind thoughts to you.

I hope that I have selected correctly and two photo's should appear. This was Ebony on her first and last day with me and I hope the pictures will be a reminder to not always believe what you are told.

Ebony 001.jpg

Ebony 26.jpg

What a beautiful girl - poor, poor baby.

I really hope you get some answers to this, and stop it from happening again.

The only consolation is that she had you to love her to the end.

Best wishes

Janie xx

Oh she was a real beauty and such lovely eyes. I am sure that Ebony knew that she was a very special cat to you and that she was loved right up to the end x

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

She was lovely, no malice and a friendly little soul and she was cared for until the end, it's just we were so poorly treated by the CPL, who just refuse flatly to admit they were wrong and hide behind their money. It's the people and legal department who are responsible for letting the good people who work for nothing, down.

Well I'm still waiting for some kind of reply from PetPlan, seems that they treat their customers like the CPL, ignore them for long enough and you will go away!! I received a reply on the 6th March and they were looking into the matter and would get back to me in due course. It's been 10 days and all I wish for is a answer that either says YES or NO, can't see what the problem is. I have telephoned the number supplied and all I get is a answer phone that no one returns your call. I think all these organisations are in bed with each other and customer care is just a named department, where No body cares!!

Did you set a time by which you wanted a response ? Sadly, they have up to 8 weeks to either respond or send a Final response letter (which then allows you to move forward, either to the Ombudsman or court).

Waiting is so frustrating I know.. !

BCOBS

They have sent me the paperwork relating to the Ombudsman, but my letter to them wasn't pertaining to a complaint, I just wanted to know whether the claims made by the CPL were correct or not, which just requires a simple yes or no. The delay in answering just makes you think that they too have things to hide and are also not forthcoming with the truth. It truly is a racket, but I will be patient and see what happens. I have been waiting for someone to tell me the truth since November and will continue to fight for Ebony.

Thanks for your comments Citizen B

Hello, Helloagain39

I did have my story on Petforum, but the CPL scared them into taking the article off the forum. The Forum gave the excuse that they couldn't verify what I was saying was the truth. Then the CPL posted their response and my reply to the petforum was how did they know that the CPL were telling the truth. Each blog was withdrawn. I did send a further reply stating that I have the paperwork to verify everything that I have published is the truth and that's why the CPL had gone after them and not me.

Before I was closed down 37 people had made their feelings known and all but one had been with me. I had had over 14 hundred viewings too. I see from todays count that hopefully my viewings may exceed this with the this kind site who have allowed me to express my views.

My fight for Ebony continues.

Although there are many good people who believe in the work they do for the CPL I believe that sometimes they are less than accurate with the information they give prospective owners when they have an animal that is harder to place, it could be that there is a touch of desparation when the are overcrowded, but it dosnt make it right.I hope that at some point you will consider taking another homeless cat and giving it a chance of a good life.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

It is short sighted that the animal charities don't disclose everything when you adopt - we got 2 girls... girls with certain bits that would normally mean they were males - but we wanted girls, so we were told they were girls. Yes, we would know now, but at the time we knew nothing about cats!

That is why we now have pedigree cats, bought from a breeder as kittens - because I know that everything I needed to know was disclosed to me, and the cat is the cat I wanted. Well, ok, it is the cat that chose us, but we still knew what we were taking on.

Rescuing is a lottery, you don't get told if the animal was handed in as a biter, or whether the cat has a personality problem. There is absolutely no reason why we can't get copies of all the paperwork the charity holds on the animal - I would be more than happy to pay for photocopies of everything.

That's not necessarily true - one of the rescue centres that I support is VERY on the ball, and always discloses in the dog's online write-up whether the animal is known to have bitten etc, and the reason (if known) why the animal has been put in rescue. They also have dogs in foster homes all over the UK, so they can be evaluated in a home environment. The fosterers are very honest about the dogs; it's not in anyone's best interest (epecially not the rescue's) to tell porkies!

As a potential adopter, how do I know whether my local animal rescue is the sort that is willing to to be economical with the truth, or not?

Of course it is not in anyone's best interest to be economical with the truth, even if the adopter keeps that animal, and solves the short term problem, long term, you have lost a home for future animals.

Edited by citizenB

I think the only way you'd know is by taking the time to check it out. Ask to be put in touch with other adopters, for instance. Ask around, and see if their adoption procedure is adequate (home vetting, for instance). Do they have their dogs/cats neutered and/or innoculated before being rehomed? Has the animal been given a clean bill of health by a vet? Are the rescue aware of behavioural issues (agression, guarding, soiling etc)?

Many rescues will allow country-wide adoptions so you needn't just look locally. At the end of the day, yes, there are some unscrupulous rescues. It's up to the potential adopter to sort the wheat from the chaff - if you don't put the effort in, you can't really complain if things don't go according to plan!

I should have been given the truth about Ebony from the start, but this is what happens when animal charities only disclose what they want without paying the consequences and nobody being brought to task because their legal department runs around mopping up their mistakes.

I agree totally, Sadcafe. I was trying to answer my-sprit-soars-free's question about finding a reputable LOCAL charity. One would expect a NATIONAL charity (such as Cats Protection) to be 100% honest and truthful, and as they lied to you about your poor Ebony you have every right to demand answers. I sincerely hope you get them.

Best wishes

Janie xx