Default for O2 landline

Miggle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do here so hopefully someone can help me.

I recieved an alert from Equifax the other day I'd had a change on my credit file. Upon looking at it there's a default there from O2 for a landline account I had with them up until February 2011.

Now I've been an O2 mobile customer for around 9 years now, having had two contract phones with them for my wife and I. In around 2009 I moved my broadband to O2 as well, then in 2010 I moved my home phone to them on a 12 month contract. A few months into the contract, I recieved a letter from them telling me my broadband cost was more than doubling. :-x Upon reading the t&c's I saw it said something along the lines of if you don't want to accept the price rise they will release you from your contract. I promptly sought a move from O2 to Sky for my home phone and broadband. O2 did ring me and offer me a reduced tariff but I rejected this and moved to Sky.

A few days later a direct debit left my bank account which I assumed was full and final payment for my O2 home phone package. A few months later though I received a letter from O2 telling me I owed them money :| It was for around £37 or so, which I couldn't work out what it was for so I (foolishly) ignored it. I heard nothing for ages, then one day I recieved a letter asking me for the 3 year old router back or I'd be charged. Now I thought this is surely a mistake, as I know with Sky, after a 12 month period you then own the equipment. Again, rather than ringing O2 to ask I let the issue pass by without anymore thought. Up until I recieved a default for the princely sum of around £78.

What I want to know is, is there any possibility of getting this default for a landline phone removed and also how they have come up with this £78 figure. As far as I was aware I'd settled the account and switched. To be honest I'm livid!

What I'm furious about also, is that I still have those two contract phones with them, which were upgraded in August and December respectively, both on £42 a month tariffs, and did on Boxing Day 2011 take out a third contract with them for my son's Blackberry. That's £100 a month I'm paying to O2, and they treat me like some fly-by-night who's done a runner. Does the right hand not see what the left hand is doing at O2? Why would I take out another contract with them if thought I owed them money?? Is this how they treat loyal customers? Ha, the irony is my Sky Broadband contract has expired and I was actually thinking of rejoining O2 Broadband. :wink:

The default entry will have been automatically

place when the account was not paid BUT you

should have received a default notice or is that

the letter you received, it gives you a set period

to remedy the default if you did not do so then

the default is correct as you say you ignored it.

O2 would not have looked at your other accounts

anyway as they are separate enities.

I can see no legal reason for O2 to remove the default

all you can do is ask, but if you have not satisfied the

default I would not be confident of the result.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

As far as I'm aware I've received no notifications of a default from them.

The default entry will have been automatically

place when the account was not paid BUT you

should have received a default notice or is that

the letter you received, it gives you a set period

to remedy the default if you did not do so then

the default is correct as you say you ignored it.

O2 would not have looked at your other accounts

anyway as they are separate enities.

I can see no legal reason for O2 to remove the default

all you can do is ask, but if you have not satisfied the

default I would not be confident of the result.

My thought would be one of the

letters you have received was a DN,

don't suppose you kept them by any chance.??

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

You might not have recognised a default letter as being one.

It won't be one like a credit card default, just a letter saying what is outstanding & that they will update your credit file adversely if you don't pay by a certain date and that will affect your ability to get credit in future

You could try writing to O2 for an explanation of how they think they able to make a charge of £37 after the final bill had been paid. Tell them that you will require a copy of the bill. and that you are still waiting for packaging & a pre-paid envelope for the return of the router

n.b. did you cancel the direct debit?

One of my points would be "If I have 1 default I may aswell have 2 so I may aswell stop paying my mobile bill if you don't correct this entry" :p

• Haha 1

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 7 months later...

Hi, just an update on this issue and some advice needed.

I contacted O2 and they claimed I never cancelled my contract, my contract was cancelled by my failure to have a BT landline, which is when I switched to Sky. I told them under their t&c's I was free to leave under a price rise and had cancelled as required. O2 agreed this was the case and wiped the balance I owed them. However, the default remained, and after many calls a manager their confirmed they'd remove the default which was incorrectly placed there and sent me a letter confirming this. She claimed though it could take 60 days to remove. However, more than 60 days later it still remains on my credit file and despite several calls to o2 this week no one seems willing or able to help. In fact most are downright rude. They also claim their credit file referal team who deal with this can't be contacted by any means other than letter or email, even by people within o2 and I should contact them, which I have done several times to no avail. I even rang up to cancel my three mobiles in protest which didn't work at all.

So can anyone please tell me where I go from here?? By their own admission, confirmed in writing, this default is wrong and needs removing but they're not removing it. Can any help me please???

Contact the CRA's. Equifax, Experian and Callcredit. Tell them that this entry is incorrect and o2 have confirmed this to yourself in a letter, and as such they are duty bound to only show accurate information else you will hold them jointly liable for any legal action you should choose to take.

Also write to o2 and tell them to correct your credit file immediately or you will take them to court for compensation for "general damage to creditworthiness" which you would be entitled to ask a judge to award £7000 (although if you want to keep things in the small claims court, ask for £5000. as that is the maximum small claim)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar