A4E Sanction

vsl_2603
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4431 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a letter this morning saying I have been sanctioned for failing to attend an appointment with my advisor at A4E as I'm on the work programme.

The letter I had from the decision makers was dated 10th February and gave me until 21st February to reply and say why I failed to attend.

I live above a cafe and do not have a front door that is accessible by the Royal Mail and besides my front door does not have a letter box in it. I have to rely on the cafe taking in my post, and I am unable to collect it every day as she tells me to collect once a fortnight. An additional problem is that my address is not recognised by Royal Mail so much of my post does not arrive anyway, I have not had a bank statement since moving here in November 2010.

My advisor at A4E knew of the problems I had with my post and receiving it and said she would ring and notify me of appointments instead of sending letters which she obviously hasn't done. I can't attend appointments if I don't know I have them.

My advisor actually did phone me 16th February and ask why I hadn't been attending my appointments, I had missed 3 in total and explained that I had no knowledge of any appointments, she said to see her on February 21st which I did and she has now referred me to another agency as I have suffered with depression in the past and she wanted me to get some more help with that.

I am worried sick now as I get both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit and believe these will be stopped because of the sanction.

Is there anything at all I can do because I can't afford to loose money as money is so tight as it is, my flat runs completely on electricity so without JSA I won't be able to heat it, cook, have warm drinks, have light.

Sorry if this is a bit long and I would appreciate any advice especially as I am now past the date that I can reply to what has been alleged.

Thanks

If you are sanctioned (and it is still if at the momemt) you can make a claim for hardship via the Jobcentre.

You need to make sure tat your records at A4E are noted as problems with post and either ensure that all contact is made via pphone or have your mail diredcted elsewhere that you can collect more frequently and easily.

• 2 weeks later...

I am absolutely fuming now.

Rang the number on the top of the letter on February 27th, the first day I could as I recieved the letter on a Saturday. I informed them that I had only just recieved it and was going to give a response, they made a note of this and when I asked if the sanction had been applied because the letter stated I had until February 21st to respond and I was told it hadn't. I returned the letter with my response on Tuesday and obtained proof of postage.

I rang them again yesterday (5th March) to see if they received my response and I was told not yet, a note was made I'd phoned and that the response had been sent. Again I asked if the sanction had been applied and I was told no as they were waiting for my response.

When I went to sign today, the advisor I saw at the jobcentre actually informed me I would only receive one weeks money because I had been sanctioned from February 29th - March 13th, when I asked what date a decision had been made to sanction me they told me February 22nd. The advisor in the jobcentre suggested I ring the decision makers number I had and see what was happening.

When I got home I rang the number I had for the decision makers and spoke to a helpful man who could see details of my previous calls and what I had told them about late receipt of letter etc, he couldn't understand however why I had been told I had not already been sanctioned as if they hadn't had a response to their letter by the date stated they would automatically assume I wasn't going to respond. He apologised but to be honest an apology is no good.

Knowing that I had a sanction I then rang my council to see about my housing benefit, I was told that my housing benefit claim had been closed as they had been notified I was no longer entitled to JSA, when I asked whether I would receive any housing benefit on Monday which is my next payment date I was told no because my claim had been closed. When I questioned this I was told that I would need to provide a statement of nil income and then my housing benefit claim would be reopened, I asked how soon I would get payment once I had done this and was told it would be a minimum of 28 days.

How the hell am I meant to pay this months and probably next months rent when I have housing benefit?

Been sat in tears for hours, I have a history of depression which doesn't affect my ability to work, and this is causing me to become depressed.

Sorry its so long winded and if anyone can offer any advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Section 84(1) of the Postal Services Act 2000 provides for it to be an offence if persons intentionally delay or open postal packets without reasonable excuse.

Why does she make you collect mail fortnightly if you only live upstairs and can nip down and ask for it?

Section 84(1) of the Postal Services Act 2000 provides for it to be an offence if persons intentionally delay or open postal packets without reasonable excuse.

Why does she make you collect mail fortnightly if you only live upstairs and can nip down and ask for it?

She is running a business, and as such does not have time for me to go in every day. Plus she is not obliged to accept any of my post as technically any post I do get is not addressed to her.

Sorry for posting again but need some more advice.

My advisor at A4E faxed a reconsideration letter over yesterday for them to withdrawal the sanction, I phoned them a little while ago and have been told the sanction stands and will not be removed.

She stated in her letter that I didn't receive my appointment letter, that I received my right to reply letter after the cut off date to respond, and that I had been referred to another agency for the work programme because of my depression and that sanctioning me she was concerned would cause my depression to come back.

The man I spoke to one the phone a little while ago said that her stating what I had said about not getting my post wasn't good enough and that alternative measures should have been put in place such as another address. I live in a city where I know no one, have no friends here. My only true friend lives 250 miles away from me so other address could I have used.

When I asked this man what my next step could be he said I could appeal but if all I had was the fact I hadn't received an appointment letter then there wouldn't be any point as the sanction would still stand.

I feel lost as to what to do, not slept for two days as I am so worried about everything and how I am going to afford to pay for the electric for my flat which is £60 and I do have no savings to cover the lack of benefit. As my flat is completely electric I suppose that means no cooking, no heating (I have night storage heaters), no hot water, hot hot drinks anything.

I just feel like giving up, obviously nothing I say will make any difference.

If anyone can offer any advice then please do

I am not sure about this, but would you be entitled to a Crisis Loan?

I would ring them and ask them first thing in the morning if you have not already done so.

I hope somebody with experience of the system will advise you further very soon.

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

I am not sure about this, but would you be entitled to a Crisis Loan?

I would ring them and ask them first thing in the morning if you have not already done so.

I hope somebody with experience of the system will advise you further very soon.

Not entitled to a crisis loan as I have been sanctioned, also not entitled to hardship in the 1st two weeks because I am not in a vulnerable group.

Thanks for the suggestion though

You will need to appeal the decision I'm afraid, you can also request a reconsideration of the reconsideration and make sure you state that you want a different memeber of the DMA team to look at your second reconsideration before it goes to the appeal.

The problem with your particular circumstances is that you have an unreliable address for post and if that could actually effect your availablity as well as if your Work Providers can't get hold of you then how can an employer get hold of you?

How would you feel about going to your GP and getting signed off and applying for ESA? Might not be the best idea as ESA takes ages too.

Or ask your nice a4e advisor for more help. Their more likely to know the system.

Get an appointment with the CAB ASAP ok.

If you need a reliable place for your mail to be sent, look into getting a po box. I've known someone who got their mail sent to their post office and picked it up from there.

And, I know this'll be an extra burden but, how about moving from where you are? Your landlady seems very unhelpful. If her business has been receiving your mail, what exactly does she do with it? She has a small responsibility to get it to you alot more than once a fortnight!! Especially if you go to her!!

Best of luck x

SAFU