Any Advice. Failed Medical, now on ESA assesment, what happens to HB-CTB

cocoriver
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi for various reasons I was getting IB for over 20 years, was sent for Medical to ATOS and of course NO Points given, put in Appeal, after getting no help from local Jobcentre. Last week I received a letter saying I'm on ESA assessment level until Appeal is decided. And will get reduced payment, until Appeal is decided.

When my IB stopped I got a letter from Housing Benefit saying it stopped, after calling them and telling them I had sent in my appeal they said I would still get my HB. As the computer would auto update any information from DWP

Today I got a slip showing my rent has gone up to full amount, can anyone tell me if, as I was told everything is linked by computer, this could mean my appeal was rejected and the system now shows I've lost ESA and HB ?

Only put my appeal in two weeks ago, with Doctors report and Sick note for 3 months.

Can I expect a letter on Monday telling me my appeal was rejected, and if so what should I do next, I have a current sick note and my Doctor will give me more.

Can they reject you even with Sick Notes ?

Like everyone I'm losing the will to live.

Hi and thank you for your response, I have never used a forum before, but have with help from young nephew, been looking around the web for any help advice regarding this situation.

I'm nearly 60 years old, widower, not working for over 20 years, for far too many reasons to go into. Seem to have failed the Medical, because, I wore clean clothes, did not smell of alcohol, sat still in a chair for 55 minutes, Did not sweat to indicate nervousness. watches TV all day, etc

All untrue, because I was not even in the exam room 25 minutes. watches TV all day, With the rubbish on it, not likely, so on and so on.

If only I had found out about help forums like this before, hence young nephew showing me how to find them on line, I would have gone to my medical, smelly, drunk, shouted at people, sat on the floor and wet my pants.

thanks for reading everyone

The more I'm finding out, the similar the reasons are for people failing the medicals.

Hi for various reasons I was getting IB for over 20 years, was sent for Medical to ATOS and of course NO Points given, put in Appeal, after getting no help from local Jobcentre. Last week I received a letter saying I'm on ESA assessment level until Appeal is decided. And will get reduced payment, until Appeal is decided.

When my IB stopped I got a letter from Housing Benefit saying it stopped, after calling them and telling them I had sent in my appeal they said I would still get my HB. As the computer would auto update any information from DWP

This is correct IB notify your LA that IB has ceased

Today I got a slip showing my rent has gone up to full amount, can anyone tell me if, as I was told everything is linked by computer, this could mean my appeal was rejected and the system now shows I've lost ESA and HB ?

This is fine, you will get your full HB reinstated when your ESA appeal is put into payment

Only put my appeal in two weeks ago, with Doctors report and Sick note for 3 months.

Can I expect a letter on Monday telling me my appeal was rejected, and if so what should I do next, I have a current sick note and my Doctor will give me more.

this letter from HB has Nothing to do with your ESA Appeal its connected to your IB claim as its now ceased, its an end of entitlement letter of HB on the grounds of IB but hopefully you will have HB on the grounds of your ESA appeal

dont give up its early days yet

I'm currently waiting for a letter to confirm I will be receiving ESA while I wait for my appeal.

How long was it between sending in your appeal and getting the letter?

Its been over 3 weeks now. Phoning them up on Monday about it.

Whilst on assessment rates awaiting Tribunal, don't forget you need to keep sending in those (un)fit notes. Keep a note in your diary when a new one is needed - you can't rely on the DWP to remind you.

If HB & CTB have stopped due to nil points, a simple call to your council revenues division to let them know you're appealing and getting the assessment rate often suffices. I've done this three times so far with no problems ...

I'm currently waiting for a letter to confirm I will be receiving ESA while I wait for my appeal.

How long was it between sending in your appeal and getting the letter?

Its been over 3 weeks now. Phoning them up on Monday about it.

Hi and thanks for reading my post. forgive me if I get this thingy wrong, I'm new to this forum stuff.

I sent in my Appeal papers, first by fax from Job center, on the 30th Jan, two weeks later they said it never arrived, so sent copies by post that same day, week later got letter say they had now received it and I would get ESA the next pay day for beneifts, which for me is this Monday, so hears hoping the money is there.

Whilst on assessment rates awaiting Tribunal, don't forget you need to keep sending in those (un)fit notes. Keep a note in your diary when a new one is needed - you can't rely on the DWP to remind you.

If HB & CTB have stopped due to nil points, a simple call to your council revenues division to let them know you're appealing and getting the assessment rate often suffices. I've done this three times so far with no problems ...

Hi thanks for your reply, When I first got the letter that my IB was stopping, few days later got a letter from Housing saying they had been told about my loss of IB and my HB would stop at the same time, they agreed to extend it as I told them I was putting in an appeal, and once they saw the appeal going ahead my HB would continue, that's why I was surprised to get a notice showing my rent without HB.

My fear was, as they lady told me it's all done by Computers! could the DM at DWP have already decided on my appeal and that's why the rent went back up without HB.

And perhaps I'll get a letter now saying the DM at DWP is upholding the Doctor's decision from ATOS,

it's all very confusing, because I have always dealt with people face to face, now it's over the phone to a call centre, different person each time, and all done by the computer.

Last time I called the person on the other end, looked at my case on line, and she was confused, she was reading it and saying, this looks odd, seems two different things going on here. Did not feel me with confidence hearing that, but when I said, Oh what's the problem then, she said, No problem, just some confusion on the system. In other words, I'm not telling you what it says.

Oh well, will call council in the morning, and hope it's just at their end, and they can restart my HB. However, I have my eye on a nice supermarket trolley, for when they put me on the streets.

dont give up its early days yet

Many thanks for your kind help, it's so good to have found this site and be able to chat to people who are or have been going thru this horrible stuff. I've spent the weekend feeling very unwell with the worry, sure I'm not alone on that. Even though the sun was shining outside, all I could think about was, I need Monday to be here so I can phone Housing and make sure they are not going to put me out as I have no way to pay rent in full.

I've had a letter from DWP saying my ESA will start on Monday 27th, and I just thought the Housing would have known this by now, hence worrying when I got the notice to pay full rent on Saturday morning. perhaps it's just a bad cross over, find out in the morning hopefully.

thanks again for your very helpful information, eases my mind a lot, may even take a walk out side today and get some air.

Thanks so much for your help, only hope I'm doing this correctly and the replies are going in the correct place, and I'm hitting the correct buttons etc. best of luck to you

hi cocodriver please dont worry hun.I to went through exactly the same as you.There has simply been a cross over with your new esa claim starting and dwp informning your local council.This will all be sorted when your new claim is in place.in my case this was about a month but all your hb and ct will be backdated I got a really nice guy from the dwp to phone the council and explain everything.also just to let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel after 9 long months i had my esa tribunal it was conducted by a lovley judge and doctor who were very symphatetic to my health problams i won my appeal and was placed in the support group that was two weeks ago now all im waiting for is for my correct esa and arrears to be paid this unfortunatley can take ages maybe up to 6 weeks.I have struggled on assesment rate for 9 months now and this just seems so unfair when they stop your claim its instant but takes forever when you win,never mind its something to look forward to :).....

oh Bless you for your comments, I had no one to talk to about all this, couple of friends I have, have no idea about my private situation as they have good health and pretty stable lives and would never understand the impact this can have. Also only family that is aware of my situation is my poor old Mum, she's such a rock to me, but an OAP who's paid her due's to her country and her family should not now have to be worried about her child going through this hell. She just cannot believe the way the country is and the fact that she lived through a war, worked hard to bring up her family in this country to see how we are treated now just for being unwell. It should be me looking after her now, but she is feeding me out of her pension.

My concern is, I hope (and don't get me wrong, I grateful to get even the lower ESA) but I hope it does not go on too long, I hate that my Mum is buying me food to help me over this time.

I hope I'm one of the few lucky people who get seen by nice people, so far my experience has not been like that, from the ATOS Doctor who was very rude and ignored my request to use the Loo, to the nasty man at the Jobcentre, who when I was told to go there for help filling out forms, told me and I quote "I CAN NOT THINK FOR YOU" you must fill out the forms yourself.

I'm happy for you it has worked out well, since joining hear I've been saddened and to be honest scared to read so many bad stories, it's really good to hear one that work out well. Well done to you.

Can I ask you, did you attend your tribunal with someone else, like say someone official from CAB ?, I phoned my local CAB and was told they were too overloaded to take any new cases.

If I have to go to one, my Mum said she want to come with me, she will have a few things to say to them, she's paid in all her life so her kids would be safe in our own country, she said she's not going to die worrying about me on the streets, she will tell them how much stress it's putting on her, love her.

best wishes and thanks again for taking time to read this, means so much.

Hello there.

I took my husband to my hearing, I think anyone who will go just for moral support is helpful. My OH had also written my submission to the tribunal and this is what the forum sticky template is based on. If CAB can't help, and I'm not surprised they're overloaded, you can use the template.

Have you tried Welfare Rights if they're not with the CAB in your area?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi HB, thank you so much for reading my messages, really helps to know people are taking time to care. can I ask, what is an OH ? as I'm new to all this, I'm sure I'll learn all the terms pretty quick now I'm part of this ever growing group of sufferers to this crazy system, but as yet don't know what OH stands for.

I've tried to find a local Welfare Rights office, don't seem to have one in my area, and I did find a few Web sites for them, but they were mostly up north, I do plan on calling the local CAB again and asking them to point me in the right direction, if they are too busy to help me.

If I don't have anyone to go with me to the tribunal, (as I am going to think along those lines to be prepared for what seems to be inevitable) is it ok to go alone, or just with say my Mum for support, I doubt my Doctor will be able to go, she has given me a fantastic letter, which I've already sent into DWP. she put in the letter that she will give them any more information they need, but I don't think she want to go to my tribunal. So I may have to go alone.

Hi HB, thank you so much for reading my messages, really helps to know people are taking time to care. can I ask, what is an OH ? as I'm new to all this, I'm sure I'll learn all the terms pretty quick now I'm part of this ever growing group of sufferers to this crazy system, but as yet don't know what OH stands for.

I've tried to find a local Welfare Rights office, don't seem to have one in my area, and I did find a few Web sites for them, but they were mostly up north, I do plan on calling the local CAB again and asking them to point me in the right direction, if they are too busy to help me.

If I don't have anyone to go with me to the tribunal, (as I am going to think along those lines to be prepared for what seems to be inevitable) is it ok to go alone, or just with say my Mum for support, I doubt my Doctor will be able to go, she has given me a fantastic letter, which I've already sent into DWP. she put in the letter that she will give them any more information they need, but I don't think she want to go to my tribunal. So I may have to go alone.

As I said, I think someone for moral support is better than going alone, even if they don't say anything. Have a read of the appeals sticky if you can, it also talks about my tribunal and Bookworm's. I found the panel fair and businesslike and they believed me about my problems mental and physical.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Holy do da! Am I that thick! shows how long it's been since I had one of those, thank you for that, I thought it was someone official I had better get familiar with if I'm going to have to deal with all this for months to come.

One less to worry about, my OH died years ago, and if you knew my sorry story, you'd say Good riddance. we will leave that one in the past.

Many thanks and sorry for being dim.

My wife couldn't go to her appeal so they sent a real doctor round to see her, he was very nice and obviously said the right thing to the tribunal as she won. I did all her letters and forms for the appeal.

It is such a relief getting believed, after effectively being accused of lying by the DWP.

Thanks again HB, have had a look at your template etc, really helpful, it feels so good to know I will be able to go forward, better informed than I was when I went in to the cage of Hell , that was my ATOS exam room, at least now I can come on here for good advice, not just being told by Job center Man, "I CAN NOT THINK FOR YOU" I knew that as soon as I sat down in front of him, nothing behind those eyes, I asked for help with paper work, not for him to think for me, after all is he not trained and is it not his job. Can only think he must hate his job.

Cocoriver

My wife couldn't go to her appeal so they sent a real doctor round to see her, he was very nice and obviously said the right thing to the tribunal as she won. I did all her letters and forms for the appeal.

It is such a relief getting believed, after effectively being accused of lying by the DWP.

Yes it must be a relief being believed and treated with kindness and respect, do the DWP think this is what we dreamed our lives turning out like, back when we were fit and young, (sorry to young ones on here, but I'm a bit older now) and when younger never imagined I'd be treated so badly for becoming ill.

so happy to hear your wife won her appeal, shame she had to go thru it at all.

Cocoriver, not much could arm you for the 'cage of hell' tbh [=to be honest :)], although if you ever go for another Atos 'medical', leemack has done a very good sticky on how to answer the questions to best effect.

HB x

I'm getting the hang of all this now :-) Oh I'm even finding out how to put those little face things on

bless my nephew for being on the phone to help me, his parents did not waste all that money sending him to school. and he's a great young man for taking the time to advise me how to use this thing, mind you not going to tell him the subject of discussion, he's just impressed I'm learning. Any way I'm getting off subject here.

I will make sure I check all sticky, ( I have had a look at those, now I know what they mean) so now I no how to answer for the next medical exam.

cheers everyone

Hi cocodriver Im so glad my exprience helped you.i onow when you are facing this all you want and need is reasurrance and im so glad mine and HB stories habe helped you.I was accompanied to my tribunal by my local welfare rights officer who wqs fantastic.I was pnly aware I could take someone after reading posts on this excellant forum.I only got incontact with him when I received the date for my tribunal which was o ly two weeks prior in that time he wrote to my gp who sent a fantastic letter both to him and me I think this helped greatley.In the short two weeeks he was helping me he was marvellous luckily jis office is in the same town that the tribunal was held which is about 15 miles away from where I lived.I didnt eben meet him prior to the tribunal all our correspondence was done by e mail or phone and was during one of our lenghy phone calls that he said he would come with me and this point I burst into tears because I was so releived.On the day of the teibunal I waited outside when I saw a elderey gentleman with a rucksack approach the building I just knew it was him.we simply just walked into together and had about 10 mins before proceedings began he just reassured me not to worry and answer all questions clearley and honestley.

When we went in the male judge and female doctor introduced them selfs I was a wreck and they were so understanding my rep did quite a lot of talking for me and discussed alot with him I think I was having some sort of out of body exprience bacause I felt so detached from evwrything I think this wqs my brains way of coping.The female doctor asked a few questions about some intimate medical problems I had and after only about 4 questions they decided not upset me any furthur because of my problems i scored 15 points on only one descripter and my rep then asked because of this would I be put into the support group and the judge said ofcourse.They were wonderful and even reassured me I would have a little bit more money in this group and bqckpay,something I knew nothing abot untill after the tribunal.9 months of stress and anxiety was over the releif was unbelievable.

Now like I said in my previous post I just have to wait for all this to sorted I look forward to the day that I can clear some bills and treat my 3 sons to a litttesomething.Treats have been non exixstant recentley.

I dont want you to worry if you are having difficulty getting a welfare rep I know that I was very very lucky because a lot of councils just dont have the reps avaliable.If you can take your lovley Mum with you Im sure that will work just as well as yourMum will know all the problems that you have.Please try not to worry now and spend the next few months gathering as much evidence as you can to take with you.I know you want this over and done with Hun but I think you need to prepare yourself for a good few months wait till your tribunal.....xx