O2, default and credit history ruined for £30

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I posted this in the a debt subforum but notice now it's primarily address here. I recently discovered, after I had a mortgage application rejected, an unsettled debt of 30£ with )2.

In 2006, my cell phone on a monthly plan with O2 broke down. I was long due an upgrade, my first ever, so I went to a shop to get a new mobile. I got one. It transpires now that at that time a new account was opened while the old one was not closed. That, clearly, was not my intention nor was that situation clearly communicated to me. At around that time, I moved from the address linked to the old account after breaking up with my former fiancé. A little over a year later, I had the phone stolen. This was reported to the police and O2. Again, since I was due an upgrade I got again a new mobile in a monthly plan with O2. A few months later, by Autumn 2007, I noticed an anomaly in my bank statements that I haven't noticed before (my lack of sufficient care in these matters). There were two different direct debits from O2. At the time, I thought that perhaps this had something to do with the stolen phone. I approached O2 customer services about it, first by email (and have copies of it, where I also raise a problem accessing my online account) and eventually (because of lack of response to this particular concern) by phone. I could not get a clear response at the time as to why I was being charged for the mysterious second direct debit , so I cancelled that direct debit. Although at the time I thought this was linked to the stolen phone, it turns out that O2 were charging me for over a year (early 2006 to late 2007) and profiting from a contract I was led to believe at the time was simply being upgraded. I don't believe this was done intentionally, but the fact remains that as a consequence of this serious miscommunication I have now been placed in a rather precarious situation, with my credit score ruined and unable to buy a house for my family. I have remained a loyal customer of O2 since I first purchased a cell phone. Over the last 73 months of the existing contract opened in 2006 I have never defaulted or missed a payment. Since January 2011 it is also O2 who provides the internet service to my household. Indeed, my first response to discovering this debt was to pay it immediately, rather than contesting it. I appreciate that O2 (and the companies to which it later transferred this debt, back and forth) may have attempted to contact me by postal mail to the address linked to the old contract. But I left that address in February of 2006 and those letters could never have reached me. I don't think it is very persuasive to argue that O2 had no other means to reach me (they continued to have dealings with me and provided me phone services), but they have hinted as much so far. I'm still waiting for resolution of this matter that is now with their Credit File team. I also wrote to the CEO hoping this would help and was told the issue would be assessed.

In the meantime, I wonder if anybody has any helpful tips or advice on how to proceed.

Here is a little info taken from page 12 - 13 of this :-

http://www.o2.co.uk/assets/O2HybridNav/Static-files/PDFs/CodeOfPractice.pdf

If things go wrong

At O2 we always try to make sure things

run as smoothly as possible for our

customers. If you’re unhappy with any

part of our service, tell us. It gives us a

chance to put things right and also means

we can improve our service to you and

our customers in future.

Your first point of contact

Our customer service teams are in the

best position to deal with your complaint

and should be the first people you

contact. You can contact them by phone

or by letter or email. Contact details

can be found at the end of this code

of practice.

Putting things right

We’ll look into your complaint

immediately and try to sort the issue out

as fully as we can. If you’re unhappy

with our decision, ask for one of our

Customer Service Team Leaders to

investigate further.

An impartial review

We hope that we will have been able

to sort out any problems by this stage.

However, if you are still not satisfied after

speaking to one of our managers and

would like an impartial review, please

write to:

O2 Complaint Review Service, PO Box 116,

Leeds LS11 5DS

Email: [email protected]

Fax: 0113 388 6696

What we need to know

In your letter, please include the

following information:

• Your name and address

• Your mobile number

• A daytime phone number

• Details of your complaint

• A suggestion of what you’d like us to

do to put things right

If you’ve had any previous correspondence

relating to your complaint, please send

copies of these as well as any names of

managers you’ve spoken to.

An independent review

The telecommunications ombudsman,

Otelo, can review your complaint if we

haven’t been able to sort the situation

out using the steps above. Unless there is

a deadlock situation, Otelo won’t look at

cases that are less than 12 weeks old.

Otelo, PO Box 730, Warrington WA4 6WU

www.otelo.org.uk

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 0845 050 1614

Textphone: 0845 051 1513

If you need advice

For information on your consumer rights,

get free advice from your local citizens

advice bureau (CAB), consumer advice

centre, local-authority trading standards

or consumer protection department.

You’ll find their contact details in the

local telephone directory or ask at your

town hall or local-authority offices.

If you ever need to make a complaint,

we’re always here. Should you have any

feedback about our service, let us know

so we can make improvements.

Follow that complaints procedure, keep things in writing and let us know how they reply. It's also worth noting that you could take them to court if they refuse.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

They called me today. They say that they are going to delete the record from my credit file. I don't know whether leaving this in the hands of their Credit File Team would have resulted in the same outcome, but it certainly was the office of the CEO that got in touch with me after I emailed him directly. They have also said to me that they are going to reimburse me for the year they were charging me for that account that I hadn't been used and that they are going to ensure the default is wiped out in 7 days rather than the several weeks that I was told originally this would take. I feel like I have been born again after all the stress and uncertainty of the last few weeks. :-D

A fair result :) well done for sticking to your guns :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Well done for sorting this out

They should be doing their best because they probably realise that if you had taken them to court over this they would be paying you a few thousand more

• 11 months later...

Hi I have just been reading your thread and I hope this info helps me, I found out today that 02 placed a default on my file in 2009 for £6, (YES £6 ) I cancelled our contract with them when it came to an end, even they agreed that I was not using it enough for a contract, now have PAYG still with O2 and the same number, which they arranged, I have had no letters from them at all, no bills, no default letters absolutly nothing, I thought I would check my credit file for another reason and found this, cant believe that they have done this for £6. I am not going to get anymore credit but its the principle.

I thought I would check my credit file for another reason and found this, cant believe that they have done this for £6. I am not going to get anymore credit but its the principle.

You should check your credit file every year at least, you can even do it every 6 months. Checking it too often in a short period of time can leave "foot prints" that potential lenders may see in a negative way or it could reduce your score a little (nothing to worry its just the way it works).

A default can be removed within a matter of days not weeks. It all depends on who you talk to.

Regards.

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

. Checking it too often in a short period of time can leave "foot prints" that potential lenders may see in a negative way or it could reduce your score a little (nothing to worry its just the way it works).

That is misinformation. Nobody can see you checking your own file.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D