• Tweets

• https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406231-the-pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims-is-made-by-the-master-of-the-rolls-as-head-of-civil-justice-1st-oct-2017/#comment-5145126  
    • Quick update. I've now recieved a letter before action from them with a PAP form to return enclosed, still no credit agreement however. I assume just a case of following the PAP thread and returning form with no CCA as the reason?
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Obviously we totally disagree with their decision.  Their remortgaging could only have gone wrong if they had ended up with a CCJ.  And how do you get a CCJ?  If you lose in court and then defy the court and don't pay.  Even if you lose in court, you don't get a CCJ as long as you pay within the 30 days ordered by the court.  Even had they lost in court the judge would have disallowed the interest and the £70 Unicorn Food Tax that PE made up.  There was no advantage whatsoever for giving in and paying now. But thanks to you for letting us know - a hell of a lot of users don't.
    • Hi everyone.   Before I say anything, TFL finally responded to the email I sent last week:   Thank you for your email, we acknowledge the signed documents you have returned in preparation for your hearing.   We note that this matter is causing you some stress and anxiety, however this is not a reason for TfL to discontinue proceedings. It is not unusual for passengers that have been summonsed to court to experience these symptoms, and we do have some empathy with your concerns.   However, as previously stated, TfL do not accept out of court settlements, and you will have the opportunity at your hearing, to provide your mitigation to the court prior to a decision being reached by them on how they intend to deal with this matter (usually a fine).   I am sorry that this decision is not more favourable.   Yours sincerely   James Vallis     At least he sounds more sympathetic in this email…   Only one week to go until the court hearing and I am so so nervous. I’ve prepared some questions and answers in preparation for what to say to the magistrate. It will help calm me down if I know roughly what to expect. If you could give feedback on it that would be great. If you have anything to add please do let me know.   As far as I know the court hearing will happen in these stages: Introduction and statement of facts Pleading guilty for the journeys I made with my mother’s card Penalty sentencing Appeal (if charged with a criminal record)   Am I guilty? Yes.   Why did I not pay the fare legally? Last year there was a lot going on in my life and I was struggling financially so to relieve some of this I used my mother’s Oyster card. I know it’s not an excuse and it’s still wrong.   Why do I not accept a criminal record? I really don’t want it to affect my chances of finding a job in the future. I will be the one earning money in my family so I am doing my best and studying hard to be able to get a good job. A criminal record would mean that regardless of how hard I’m working I won’t get the job I want after I graduate. This fills me with so much regret, sadness and disappointment in myself. I just want to be a good daughter for my mother because she’s already had to deal with many hardships in her life and I don’t want to make it any harder for her.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Being chased for limited company debt

breakaway
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4421 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI AllAm unfortunately still dealing with a number of issues resulting from my business going into liquidation last summer.Possibly the most irksome is ongoing harrassment from Unicom. Ironically, it was the smallest of all the creditors at the time of liquidation as after i hadn't paid the bill for 2 months (approx £70), they cut me off! They then added a £450 termination charge.They were, of course, included on the list of creditors I sent to my IP and they were informed of the Company liquidation and invited to the creditors meeting, which they didn't attend.Five months later, I started getting letters at my home address from Universal Debt Collection threatening me over non-payment and the amount had gone up to over £750. After the second letter I wrote to them informing them this was a company account and the business had gone into liquidation and they should deal with the IP. I got no acknowledgement - just more threatening letters, amount going up all the time. I emailed them (from a new account I created) and attached a copy of the letter just in case they didn't receive it. In response I got exactly the same threatening letter.I have now received 5 letters and an email - 3 threatening court action and the latest, from Unicom, saying they have added another £150 to the account and they will apply to court for any defence to be struck out on the basis that I have not made 'any attempt to resolve the matter directly'. SERIOUSLY!??????!????? And that they will now issue court papers directly.I am tearing my hair out! Presumably if they do issue court papers my defence is simply that I am not the owner of the debt but nevertheless this is so time consuming. They appear to just not read the letters and emails.Any suggestions about how I can make them take note. I am reluctant to ring them which of course, is what they want me to do, but I know you should never do thatThanks

Although I beleive it is never advisable to speak to creditors in this instance it might just be worth trying to speak with a human being and informing them of the situation and asking them to update their records. If they ask for proof of the liquidation point them inn the direction of the Companies House website. I have used this approach previouy for clients and it seems to do the trick. I would also check that the invoices were in fact in the company name. If they were you have nothing to worry about and that is your defence if they do in fact issue proceedings

HI AllAm unfortunately still dealing with a number of issues resulting from my business going into liquidation last summer.Possibly the most irksome is ongoing harrassment from Unicom. Ironically, it was the smallest of all the creditors at the time of liquidation as after i hadn't paid the bill for 2 months (approx £70), they cut me off! They then added a £450 termination charge.They were, of course, included on the list of creditors I sent to my IP and they were informed of the Company liquidation and invited to the creditors meeting, which they didn't attend.Five months later, I started getting letters at my home address from Universal Debt Collection threatening me over non-payment and the amount had gone up to over £750.

***** If you get a SD issued - Straight to IP - Grounds are no 1 on the form 6.5 set aside **************

After the second letter I wrote to them informing them this was a company account and the business had gone into liquidation and they should deal with the IP. I got no acknowledgement - just more threatening letters, amount going up all the time. I emailed them (from a new account I created) and attached a copy of the letter just in case they didn't receive it. In response I got exactly the same threatening letter.I have now received 5 letters and an email - 3 threatening court action and the latest, from Unicom, saying they have added another £150 to the account

********* Again Remind them to deal with only IP ************ Send this recorded, obtain proof

and they will apply to court for any defence to be struck out on the basis that I have not made 'any attempt to resolve the matter directly'. SERIOUSLY!??????!?????

****** Yeah Right! ******

And that they will now issue court papers directly.I am tearing my hair out! Presumably if they do issue court papers my defence is simply that I am not the owner of the debt but nevertheless this is so time consuming. They appear to just not read the letters and emails.Any suggestions about how I can make them take note. I am reluctant to ring them which of course, is what they want me to do, but I know you should never do thatThanks

There is no debt - absolute defence - it died with the company. I assume you did not PG this contract ??

I would ( and bear in mind I'm bullish ) send the lovely people a letter along the lines, if you keep pursuing this course of action, and attempt to enforce a debt on a liquidated company, personally on a director, then you will strongly defend any such action with application for costs.

Also the IP should be dealing with this on your companies behalf - its what they charge for....

N

Thank you both so much for your replies I have today had an email response to my latest missive:-The email states that i entered into a contract in Feb 2007 on behalf of the name of the business. This is the address the bills were sent to and is not the same as the Limited Compay name ie we were ABC t/a DEF. They claim that although they were aware that it was a business account they had no contractural relationship with the Limited Company. We in fact, rebranded in 2010 so the trading name was changed although the Limited Company remained unchanged. They are therefore claiming that 'you entered into your agreement with Unicom as a Sole Trader, hence our intention to pursue you personally for payment of the outstanding debt'Can they do this? Surely the term Sole Trader is a legal one isn't it? I have never been a Sole Trader. In fact at the time of the instigation of the contract I was one of 2 directors of the Company - I was merely the one who negotiated the contract for the business so they have my name as opposed to my business partners!I am unsure how to proceed now. They claim that the original debt stands as 'valid and payable in full' but they are willing to accept a lower payment to close the matter. They have offered me a 25% reduction, which still means i need to find £500. There was only £102 outstanding when the business went into liquidation!If i've got right on my side I am prepared to go the whole way with this even if it ends up in court. On the other hand, I am already dealing with two other matters outstanding - a personal guarantee on an equipment lease and a HUGE outstanding business loan for which i am personally responsible, so I need to know the best course of action.I appreciate your time and advise - thank you

Hi,

in addition to the advice you have already had, you might find good advice on the site below in particular 'Kate's' postings who has been very helpful to others having similar problems to yours

(I can't leave a link as I don't have enough 'posts' but if you google "I am being pressured by a debt collection agency Cleardebt" it will find it for you

You might also be interested to look at this article in the Daily Express.

(Again, I can't leave a link but if you type "Unicom Daily Express" it finds it

Good luck with them

the fact that they are willing to accept less indicates they know they haven't got much of a leg to stand on. As you didn't have 'sole trader' anywhere on teh contract I would refer them to the appointed administrator and let them deal with them. It sounds as if you ahve bigger things to worry about than these chancers.

HiThanks for your reply. I think this is the problem. The invoices were not in the limited company name but in the trading name of the company.They have sent me the telephone recording of the call setting up the account and the customer service advisor asked me if i was authorised to make the decision on behalf of the business and I said yes and he asked me to confirm the BUSINESS NAME which i did. At no point did he ask me for the Company name so I didn't give it.I had only been in business for a few weeks at that point (this was Feb 2007) so i guess I didn't notice the significance. There claim is based on their assertion that i entered into the contract as a Sole Trader so i am personally responsble. I have never been a sole trader and they did not ask me when I took out the agreement whether i was a Sole Trader or a Limited Company. If they had, I would have made it quite clear. They only asked if i was authorised to make the decision on behalf of the BUSINESS. I could have been an Accounts Clerk!!!!

I have referred them to the IP - in my original letter and subsequent email, however, they prefer to harrass me instead! I have contacted my IP but not had a response yet - it was 9 months ago so I guess they've moved on from me - plenty of other companies needing to be liquidated!Is it worth me making a formal complaint to Unicom for harrassment? Formally denying the debt and putting the matter into dispute? Asking for all the details - full breakdown of 'debt' (it keeps changing) in terms of amount and how it is made up, copy of contract, copy of phone recordings, Complaints procedure etcBy the way i am typing in paragraphs but when I press 'post thread' it removes all my spaces. i haven't had this problem before if someone could maybe explain what i'm doing wrong?thanks

Then their recording shows they know its a business and there is no evidence you took out the contract as a sole trader. Refer them back to the IP again and say you will not enter into any further correspondence on the matter and ignore thereafter perhaps. If it ever goes to court the onus of proof is on them to prove you took out the contract as a Sole Trader. As you didn't, they won't be able to prove it. Otheres will advise I'm sure.

Hi

Please, this is a [problem]. The debt is dead, ask them to take you to court and they won't IMO .

The debt was a company debt, and should have been included in the insolvency proceedings, even if it wasnt again refer to the insolvency company.

Do not be intimidated, limited liability that's it.

Cad

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to come back and update on this. Thanks to all who advised. There was some lack of clarity about the parties to the contract but I followed the advice of RMJ (thanks) and escalated it into an official complaint and they have now written to me to say they will pursue it as a Company debt with the Insolvency Practictioners.One less thing to worry about!