Parking in front of a driveway

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there, I'm new to the forums and was just wondering how I could go about this.

My neighbour has two driveways, both with a dropped kerb, however she only has 1 car. Now there are several driveways with dropped kerbs on the road which I live in, and people park infront of them. However, I am the only one that has been ticketed. I'm sure that you are allowed to park infront of a driveway with a dropped kerb as long as the driveway is empty. Am I correct? I've parked infront of her empty driveway that isnt ever used. If someone could help me, that'd be great. I live in London by the way.

Thanks, Reggie.

Thanks for the warm welcome,

There is 1 white line across the whole drive. Details of the ticket:

"Parked in a special enforcement area adjacent to a footway, cycle track or verge lowered to meet the level of the carriageway"

Thanks, Reggie.

I'm sure that you are allowed to park infront of a driveway with a dropped kerb as long as the driveway is empty. Am I correct?

No sadly you are wrong!

You cannot park (except when unloading) in front of any driveway unless it is a drive way to your own residence and you have sole use.

It sounds like a Fixed Penalty Notice to me. The white line is to make obvious the presence of a dropped kerb/entrance to a driveway. You need to see if there is a traffic order in place. Yes you are correct, you can be deemed causing an obstuction if you are blocking a car in but not the otherway round.

Yes, unfortunately the RTA 1988, sect 22 & CUR reg 103 states the following:

DO NOT stop or park

- where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles

- in front of an entrance to a property

except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.

--

Taken from the DSA website

Twitter - @memgrubb

--

If my post helped - please click the star icon below.

It sounds like a Fixed Penalty Notice to me. The white line is to make obvious the presence of a dropped kerb/entrance to a driveway. You need to see if there is a traffic order in place. Yes you are correct, you can be deemed causing an obstuction if you are blocking a car in but not the otherway round.

No traffic order is required the contravention is created by staute not a traffic order, TMA 2004 Section 86

If it is indeed prohibited to park across an empty driveway, what is the purpose of having a white line there? Or, indeed, double yellows?

The white line has no particular meaning in a legal sense - it just serves to highlight the dropped kerb. Double yellow lines across a dropped kerb would mean nobody could park there - not even a resident of the property. They're sometimes used where, eg, the dropped kerb is intended to allow wheelchairs/pushchairs to cross the road as well as/instead of to allow access to a driveway.

But DYLs and white lines are not installed as a matter of course, but at the behest of the property owner. If the property owner can simply complain and have offending vehicles ticketed, there's no need for lines, except inasmuch as they flag the driveway up to motorists. I find it hard to believe that councils go to the expense of doing this if it serves no real purpose.

But DYLs and white lines are not installed as a matter of course, but at the behest of the property owner. If the property owner can simply complain and have offending vehicles ticketed, there's no need for lines, except inasmuch as they flag the driveway up to motorists. I find it hard to believe that councils go to the expense of doing this if it serves no real purpose.

My local authority charges the resident for the white lines.

Whether it's empty or not, you shouldn't be parking infront of someone elses driveway. Regardless of the legality, it's just not a neighbourly thing to do without permission.

Perhaps you should go and speak to the neighbour and request permission to park across, or even better yet, park on, their unused driveway?

• 7 months later...

I v just checked up on 243 of the highway code, and yes you are right, so why do people keep discussing and arguing? If taking a test it would be striked against you, if an accident occurred ( as in my experience it did) then the fact that you were parked on a white line would go against you. I have just had a white line painted for those reasons. Like the guy says its not neighbourly and can cause accidents. Maybe it is nt a legality as such , but I would n't push my luck and park on one.

Thats what the Highway Code is all about.... :!: