Ministry of Justice release the Consultation Paper on the reform of the bailiff industry

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Wonkey Donkey. Excellent points as always. Like me, you are trying to plough through the Consulation document. There is a lot of reading!!

By midday tomorrow, I should have introduction notes for all of the sub headings. Another late night.......

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonkey Donkey. Excellent points as always. Like me, you are trying to plough through the Consulation document. There is a lot of reading!!

By midday tomorrow, I should have introduction notes for all of the sub headings. Another late night.......

keep up the good work tomtubby, there is plenty to go at as we plough through that document, the devil as always is in the detail.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

There is no way this will end up as anything other than worse for the general population. Just the size and impenetrability of the Consultation document tells is that ! I think tomtubby should be 'excused' normal forum postings for a while so she is not as time pressed as she would otherwise be. Believe me I am not trying to 'reduce' her in any way. We all know she is the bees knees, and a very busy person. Frankly the public at large needs her efforts more than we specifically do during this period. I am sure other experts will pick the load for her on here. What say thee ?

There is no way this will end up as anything other than worse for the general population. Just the size and impenetrability of the Consultation document tells is that ! I think tomtubby should be 'excused' normal forum postings for a while so she is not as time pressed as she would otherwise be. Believe me I am not trying to 'reduce' her in any way. We all know she is the bees knees, and a very busy person. Frankly the public at large needs her efforts more than we specifically do during this period. I am sure other experts will pick the load for her on here. What say thee ?

Tomtubby will pace herself, a she will have to digest and critique the documentation, as she is one of the formal consultees, so I think you are right lamma we shouldn't expect to see her quite as often for a while.

We should all at least look at the areas that interst us and post on the subforum, paying attention especially to the scale of fees, the vulnerability issues, and the impact assessment, if not the legalese in the main pdf

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I am just finishing a Newsletter for CAG on the Consultation and tomorrow will finish posting introduction notes for each sub heading.

As I said, the "devil is in the detail" and even though I had read the Consultation Paper 3 times, I had MISSED some very important "little" changes that do NOT appeal. If I get a chance, I will post back on this later tonight.

I am just finishing a Newsletter for CAG on the Consultation and tomorrow will finish posting introduction notes for each sub heading.

As I said, the "devil is in the detail" and even though I had read the Consultation Paper 3 times, I had MISSED some very important "little" changes that do NOT appeal. If I get a chance, I will post back on this later tonight.

Thanks TT there are some little gems (not) hidden away in there.

I am sure that the following proposal will cause considerable concern and proves again that the "devil is in the details" !!!

We considered placing restrictions on the days when an enforcement agent can enter a property (for example, not on religious days) but on balance have decided that including this in the regulations would prove unworkable. The enforcement agent would have to gather advance intelligence on the debtor in order to make a if incorrect. The regulations will therefore allow the enforcement agent to enter premises on any day of the week.

Notice the last 5 words !!!!!

I can see that one becoming contentious !

Would that involve Human Rights in some way ??

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

any day of the week.

No way!!!

No disrespect to other religions. But our Sundays have been the day of rest for hundreds of years, why should it be disrupted?

If we let the bailiffs have this day, how do we get hold of the council, in case the bailiffs have it wrong.

We cannot get hold of solicitors either, no doubt the bailiff office will be shut as well.

Banks arnt open either (not every one has a debit card). Also will they be able to charge a double rate for coming out on a Sunday, I know the tow trucks will want more money for coming out on a Sunday.

Has this really been thought through properly ?????

They will argue that diversity and equal treatment, dictates that they cannot favour not enforcing on the Christian Sabbath, any more than they can not enforce against Jews on saturday, and Muslims on Friday, so they will make it 24/7 365, as doubtless they will allow enforcement on bank Holidays, and Christmas Day also. This needs opposing so perhaps site team could move these thread posts to the Time and date of visits thread of the sub forum, and we can focus on this there.

No way!!!

No disrespect to other religions. But our Sundays have been the day of rest for hundreds of years, why should it be disrupted?

If we let the bailiffs have this day, how do we get hold of the council, in case the bailiffs have it wrong.

We cannot get hold of solicitors either, no doubt the bailiff office will be shut as well.

Banks arnt open either (not every one has a debit card). Also will they be able to charge a double rate for coming out on a Sunday, I know the tow trucks will want more money for coming out on a Sunday.

Has this really been thought through properly ?????

Yes in all probability, but such things as tradition should not get in the way of enforcement and getting the moolah they will argue. In all likelihood they may backtrack on this but they will push through enforcement on bank holidays and Christmas by the back door

But its not just about religion Brassy, its about convenience and whether they will be allowed to charge more being it a Sunday. You can bet that they will be a mass exodus of bailiffs working on a Sunday just to bump their charges up to Sunday Rates.

Can you imagine what they would charge for on a Bank holiday and Christmas!!!!!!

But its not just about religion Brassy, its about convenience and whether they will be allowed to charge more being it a Sunday. You can bet that they will be a mass exodus of bailiffs working on a Sunday just to bump their charges up to Sunday Rates.

They have killed their own pig then, just like retail workers where a zero hour contract nullifies enhanced sunday payments, so will 7 day enforcement, as to charge extra for the sunday would breach their own Equality legislation and the whole equality concept. Not that it will stop Capquita trying it on, even if it isn't in the regulations

I will get this sub heading done this morning so that these posts can be directed to to the right pages.

thanks TT, more and more little diamonds are appearing in the detail of this, things that make you go HMMMMMM

Not wishing to make this even more of a toil. But how will this overturn the copious, and some of it quite old, legislation ? I know enough to know that the consultation document is at the least poorly drafted. Or perhaps very well drafted depending on the intent. And therein lies the nub of it. I surmise that they have their eyes only on revenue and are not focussed on compliance to the law that binds Local Authorities and Bailiffs. So no change there. This will undoubtedly make a bad situation worse. They have slipped in all kinds of nasty little clauses in among the copious verbiage. The forest needs to be distinguished from the trees I believe - while not missing any of the dangerous trees. Not easy ! If I knew the Regs well enough I would chip in in detail but I fear such efforts may just create more work for the 'heavy lifters'.

• 2 weeks later...
so whats happened to my posts? is this not the consumer group?

You need to read the site rules. Multiple posting just to get to be able to post a link contravenes the site rules which you agreed to on signing up.

The posts you made have therefore been removed

ims

A lot of people in the enforcement and advice sector have been pushing for this Consultation on bailiff reform for a very long time. However, after spending the past week reading and re-reading the Consultation and attachments it is becoming clear that there are some VERY worrying proposals that may well lead to a significant RISE in complaints !!!

I have rewritten the Newsletter and sub headings 8 times. No more changes being made and will post them tomorrow.

A lot of people in the enforcement and advice sector have been pushing for this Consultation on bailiff reform for a very long time. However, after spending the past week reading and re-reading the Consultation and attachments it is becoming clear that there are some VERY worrying proposals that may well lead to a significant RISE in complaints !!!

I have rewritten the Newsletter and sub headings 8 times. No more changes being made and will post them tomorrow.

From what I have read and digested in the consultation, there is a significant move that favours the enforcers to the ultimate detriment of debtors, especially those on low incomes, or benefits with the minimum £305 charge

The Consultation Paper on the proposed reform of the bailiff industry consists of 203 pages !!!!

In the following Newsletter that I have written for Consumer Action Group I have provided an outline of the important parts of the Consultation:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?857-Newsletter-March-2012-Special-Focus-Edition-MOJ