• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ministry of Justice release the Consultation Paper on the reform of the bailiff industry

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4422 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Point 38 relating to paragraphs 24(2) 31 (5) need close examination, or we will end up with bailiffs invoking the power and grabbing hold of debtors and possibly handcuffing them to restrain them s to enable them to enter if a debtor tries to shut the door

Going back to Outlawla's post, If a council obtain a LO for a trifling amount, say £1 as has been done by the council , in his area , NELC, then miraculously the debt has gone up to £301, or 300 times the original, plus whatever else the council can add on so we are talking of some Council tax debts increasing by factors of many times the original.

Not good. One problem is if they are enforcing for these small debts and the fees are significantly more than the original debt, and the debtor is on JSA at single, or couple rate, then the FEES ALONE are more than four weeks JSA for a single person, and almost three weeks money for a couple over 25 with no children.

This scenario will become more common as often a council will obtain the LO whilst benefit is being calculated in a redundancy or job loss situation.

I have this question for MOJ. Where is the "Justice" in that Mr Djangoly?

Edited by brassnecked

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sewing kit....nice you see you back. In answer to your question:

tomtubby - is this what you were involved in when I talked you on the phone and you mentioned you visited parliament for meetings and reviews with the industry and ministers, etc?

Yes....but unfortunately, at each of the meetings the emphasis was on discussions regrading a regulator and the matter of fees was NOT debated.

So they will go round and round in circles debating regulation, and the fees will be nodded through with minimal discussion in all probability. A disaster snatched from the jaws of victory, bearing in mind most posters looking for help on CAG are Can't pay, due to a financial disaster, job loss, illness, disability divorce etc, rather than a willful won't pay.

How the fees will help them discharge their debt, especially where they are way above the original debt, is one question,

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I would like to make a suggestion.

This public consultation is FAR too important an opportunity to miss and the views of debtors are of vital importance.

The Consultation is broadly split into specific parts with one of the most important being the proposed fee scale and the appointment (or ideas) on a regulatory body. The Consultation will run for 12 weeks and what would be an ideal situation is if this particular thread was used by us all to address EACH AREA INDIVIDUALLY. What we need to avoid is a question being raised about fees etc and a few posts later, discussing the right of force entry. In this way, it would be far simpler in a few weeks time to read back on the many comments made.

The way that this could work is for instance if for the next week, discussions were limited to the matter of fees being proposed and the following week maybe exchanging views on a regulator/complaints etc. Another vitally important part of the consultation concerns the definition of "vulnerable" groups.

Any thoughts on this?

I would like to make a suggestion.

This public consultation is FAR too important an opportunity to miss and the views of debtors are of vital importance.

The Consultation is broadly split into specific parts with one of the most important being the proposed fee scale and the appointment (or ideas) on a regulatory body. The Consultation will run for 12 weeks and what would be an ideal situation is if this particular thread was used by us all to address EACH AREA INDIVIDUALLY. What we need to avoid is a question being raised about fees etc and a few posts later, discussing the right of force entry. In this way, it would be far simpler in a few weeks time to read back on the many comments made.

The way that this could work is for instance if for the next week, discussions were limited to the matter of fees being proposed and the following week maybe exchanging views on a regulator/complaints etc. Another vitally important part of the consultation concerns the definition of "vulnerable" groups.

Any thoughts on this?

Good idea TT, but perhaps we could split off say the main issues into linked threads, so that one would be for FEES, one Forced entry/use of personal force to restrain a debtor, and so on. with the main thread used to capture anomalies like the effect of the new structure on outlawla's situation, where the council still wanted their enforcement fees, or the landlord who was not liable for tenant's council tax but is still being chased for the £80 LO fees, which would now be £300 or the £1 LO that is now £301.

That way each could be more manageable and capture more precise and ongoing information to submit.

After a quick skim over I think they are trying to close down and restrict vulnerability, so that perhaps someone on benefits would be hit by the fees and have to pay £300, even if the debt goes back to the council, where presently the bailiff may only get a first visit fee. and only the disabled or ill regarded as vulnerable, so protected. there seems to be a provision banning the seizure or clamping of a motor displaying a blue badge, which would be welcome.

Edited by brassnecked

Brassnecked. Great idea. I don't know how this could be started and will need one of you "computer literate" posters to see how this could be set up.

During the day I can put the sub headings together if that would assist?

Brassnecked. Great idea. I don't know how this could be started and will need one of you "computer literate" posters to see how this could be set up.

During the day I can put the sub headings together if that would assist?

If the site team make a sticky for the consultation, and set up your sub headings as sticky's also, there could be an announcement on the headers of the relevant pages, plus on the site homepage asking people to contribute, that might work.

This consultation is too important to let the vested interests lead the way with this,

Thanks TT, nice to be here again but it does bring back old unpleasant memories!! But your and the help from the people on this site help was truly great, thanks again

yeah, you are correct I think. I haven't got the time to sit and read it all the way through and tbh, i don't understand the legalese. this is the main problem with this, it will just fizzle out to a few hardened advocates, we need to bring this into format that everyone can easily read and comment on.....

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT and opportunity must be taken, a duty to all people that come on here in the past and future

This needs to be done in such a way that people can feedback as best they can without having to read it, the doc is just too intimidating, people will stop and it will just get passed through without OUR contribution.. Think about everyone, the bailiff firms will throw a good bunch of fully trained solicitors at this and come up with a professional response. We will not be able to do that if our "responses" are here in a haphazard way. IT IS weighted in their favour atm if we do not go back with either our individual entries , which i think will be a low take up, it would better to have a group response or at least through some

Yes, I think to make it easier, like TT says to break it down to thread for each area and the post in that making it easier to collate responses for each

I think taking this idea further a new section should created called "Bailiff consultation Paper - Responses" with fixed stickies for the headings mentioned above that way it is prominent and in fixed place so people can get to it all time. Feedback can then be easily entered and collated by people for their own individual replies or group responses by TT/Fair Parking and such.

You could even go a step further an have a sticky at the top of each with "bullet pointed listed points" as quick reference for new people inot that particular thread

If it is a standard thread here it will get lost as new threads are posted. We cant miss this, lets get organised!!!!!!

Comments/thoughts

...and i wanted a lie in!

edit, brassnecked, u got in there first, great minds think alike.....

Brassneck/TT, can I suggest you send a private message to Martin3030 or an email to [email protected]

Explain what it is you actually want in order to get the maximum responses - I am sure they will be able to help on such an important issue :)

It is interesting to note that it is expected that people who are in financial difficulties in the first place, where they are unable to meet their priority obligations are then also expected to pay huge amounts of costs AS WELL !!

There has to be a better way to collect arrears of council tax than employing these bullies !

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

PM sent to Martin3030

Tom Tubby and Brassnecked..

I have spoken to Martin and he will sort out the sub forums for you :)

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for heads up.

Sub forum now started;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?355-MOJ-Consultation-on-Bailiff-reforms

If there are any particular threads which need to be stickied or locked,please contact a site team member.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?355-MOJ-Consultation-on-Bailiff-reforms

Here you go, TT / Brassnecked.. your new forum is linked above

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?338715-Introduction(2-Viewing)-nbsp

This one is the main Thread - Introduction

You can start new threads for the indvidual questions.

BCOBS

Here you go, TT / Brassnecked.. your new forum is linked above

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?338715-Introduction(2-Viewing)-nbsp

This one is the main Thread - Introduction

You can start new threads for the indvidual questions.

Most Excellent!!!

Just in case anyone misses this, I posted this link on he sub forum for the MOJ consultation.

Something interesting here from the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/feb/17/bailiff-regulations-cost-debtors-more?newsfeed=true)

At least someone at CAB has grasped the implication and confirmed my fears and assumptions regarding costs.

if you check the article it would also pay to read the comments, as one posted by SharpChip suggested that the threshold for transferring debts up to High Court for a writ of Fi-fa should go up from £600 to £5000. This would stop the likes of Southern Water sending Sherfarce with a writ that increases the debt from £601 to £3,601

i would suggest all Caggers respond to this consultation, and hopefully the sub headings from tomtubby will be ready later so we can put a structure to this and make CAGs contribution to the consultation meaningful and an accurate indicator of what should be the outcome.

brassnecked,

Re; Guardian link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/feb/17/bailiff-regulations-cost-debtors-more?newsfeed=true

It seems our ever present bailiff model specialises in electrical appliances.

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2011/09/phantom-visit-fraud.html

looks like the TV on your link would get all of £0.01p at auction, surely a levy solely to garner feeds for himself:lol:

Hope he left them a cooker in the Guardian picture.

looks like the TV on your link would get all of £0.01p at auction, surely a levy solely to garner feeds for himself:lol:

Hope he left them a cooker in the Guardian picture.

If your career as a bailiff is going down the pan, don't despair, there's always an opening, posing for the press:

New rules set to protect those with unpaid debts and tackle unruly practices that blight bailifs

If your career as a bailiff is going down the pan, don't despair, there's always an opening, posing for the press:

New rules set to protect those with unpaid debts and tackle unruly practices that blight bailifs

There's another five quid at auction then :lol:

I am slowly ploughing my way through what has been published, although I doubt I will be able to understand it all within the 12 weeks allocated to this before I need to reply.

Our present economic climate has brought people who have never been in debt in their lives to the position they are now in serious financial difficulties, a lot of these people struggle to come to terms with their new found situation and often is the case they just simply bury their heads in the sand and offer prayer the next job to replace the one they have lost is just around the corner or a change to their circumstances will see a miracle and they will be able to "catch up".

Cagger have recognised this is not the reality of the situation simply by the fact they are here, asking for advice. Yes, there is information out there to helping people deal with debt and yes the leaflet that accompanies those threatening letters will indeed encourage a few to seek that help but, in the main most of these people are and remain for a long time, in denial and think their situation will improve/ go away.

Water Companies I think, are perhaps the biggest predator on mankind , ok so they send the standard letters and our debtor being in denial ignores them, next they seek CCJ and transfer to the likes of Sherforce nothing to say they shouldn't ,so what the hell, they can justify the action ..Sherforce [by way of example] in turn see this as a nice little earner and with the debtors head held low they go for the throat. Our debtor gets a wake up call but it sends them into total dispair and we go full circle.

These companies are big enough to support designated area advisers to attend various drop in centres, advice centres (such as cab) and even rural village halls, for say a hour a week whereby people can attend specifically to deal with the problem to paying a water bill, they could sort it there and then, face to face with the advisers. as opposed to trying to deal with a faceless call centre manned by script governed staff who have no authority to be of any real help to the debtor and are nothing more than a human answering machine who will pass your message on.

Costs to the waterboards are likley to be less than the call centre charges , they would be likely to see an increase in their recovery rates as more and more people realise they can be assessed on the spot and make small realistic payments geared to their true circumstances ( anyone can tell a tale but evidence must be there to back it up)

If the proposals to the reforms to the bailiff industry go through as written, then they will need to add further statistics for "future amendments".

The % seen in the increase to the suicide rate, directly attributed to the impact of the reforms....... will also need to be calculated?

@ wonkeydonkey, the suicide rate will increase exponentially, as the financial realities hit the newly poor, so it is important we dissect this document and comment under the headings kindly provided by tomtubby. We can even concentrate on just the areas we are familiar with, as doubtless other Caggers can cover the others in a similar manner.

Water is an essential to life so shouldn't even be in private hands imho

@ wonkeydonkey, the suicide rate will increase exponentially, as the financial realities hit the newly poor, so it is important we dissect this document and comment under the headings kindly provided by tomtubby. We can even concentrate on just the areas we are familiar with, as doubtless other Caggers can cover the others in a similar manner.

I know that BN, you know that and every cagger on this site knows that but, it seems those that drafted the reforms haven't recognised that Blood from Stone would indeed become a miracle.... and the higher the pile stones the less chance there is of people getting to dig below it.

Water is an essential to life so shouldn't even be in private hands imho

I agree totally

Whoever thought out these fees should realise that increasing the fee payable from the £42.50 possible for a first and second visit fee to £305, which is payable even by people on benefits if the account is handed back for council tax is ludicrous, mind you those in Westminster must be in a parallel universe where money is FIAT and grows on trees.