My nightmare story with TalkTalk

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4406 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was with TalkTalk for quite a few years.

My problems started around January 2010. I was abroad on holiday, when i returned i opened my laptop only to find i could not get connected even although the message was showing i was connected. I thought this very strange and contacted them to explain my dilemma. I was informed that due to bad weather there was a problem at their exchange and they were trying to resolve it as quickly as possible. I was several weeks without connection . They told me they would reimburse me for loss of use which never happened. OK not a major issue so i let it go.

Everything appeared fine for a few months, was able to get connection once again until around July time of that year. The same problem again as before (showing i was connected but unable to get online) I noticed at this stage there was a "TalkTalk" box which kept appearing with a message saying "invalid validation code" so i called them once again for help and advice.

I told them about this "box and message" but they told me there must be something wrong with my laptop which i knew there wasn't. I spent many months calling almost every day, sending continuous emails to try to get the problem resolved. I sent an email to the MD asking if he could contact me personally. He never did. During my calls to them i was hung up on, promised call backs which never happened, and also suffered horrendous abuse by advisers, and was constantly passed from pillar to post.

I was at my wits end not knowing what to do for the best. They would say it must be the modem or there is a problem at the exchange and then revert back to blaming my laptop. (I remember being told one day to buy a new modem and then they would reimburse me. I tried that which did not help and consequently when i took the modem back to the shop i had problems getting a refund as i had opened the box, finally i managed to get a refund from the shop where i had purchased it.

I continued trying to call them to get this problem sorted. One day i spoke to an adviser and after explaining all the issues he told me i had the wrong validation code. he talked me through a process which took some considerable time but finally managed to get me online. He also said "if there was anything wrong with your laptop i would not have been able to get you online". This advisor said the problem was NOT with my laptop. The only adviser i had spoken to in months who made any sense.He had given me a new validation code but unfortunately the next time i tried to get online I had the same problem.

I called them yet again explaining everything and was informed they would send out an engineer. I told them i would not be paying for this call-out charge as the problem was not with my laptop as the adviser had agreed.

The engineer came out and when i opened the door the very first thing i asked him was "will i be charged for this call out" to which he replied "definitely not".

There was a multitude of other issues on top e g i noticed one day that my Direct Debit had been cancelled. I called my bank immediately thinking they had done it only to be told by my bank that it must have been the company. I called Talktalk and was informed they had no idea as to why it was cancelled but they would reinstate it.

There was another time when i received my usual monthly bill except this particular bill was much higher than usual so i called them to query it. I was told there had been a mistake and that they would amend the bill and send me a new one. I told them i would wait for this new amended bill to come out first before making further payments to which the adviser agreed to. This bill never did arrive and while i was waiting for it, they cut me off (Phone and broadband) with no prior notice whatsoever.

I continued to suffer horrendous abuse each time i called. I remember one time going to the Carphone Warehouse because i was so sick of all the problems and was at my wits end. I spoke to a lovely manager there who told me they were no longer part of Talktalk but would help me if he could. He called them and he also suffered abuse and had the phone put down on him just like i had had so many times.

I then changed to Sky and informed Talktalk of my intentions as did Sky.(it is normal procedure if you are changing from one company to another for the new company to contact the old) Talktalk then told me i had not informed them and continued to bill me even although i was no longer using them and also had of course been cut off.

Going back to when this engineer came out- instead of "testing" MY laptop he tested his own, said everything was fine as he was able to get online with his own laptop. He promptly left. He should have tested mine (as his did not have a message saying invalid validation code. They then sent me a bill for over £160 (call out charge)

I also contacted them several times to tell them to stop billing me and sending me bills as obviously i was no longer with them and had changed to SKY. They assured me they would stop sending them but the bills still kept coming.

There were also several other issues which would take too long to explain.

I contacted the Ombudsman and the person taking my case was no help at all. In fact i found some of her letters and emails to be quite offensive.

Talktalk continue to bill me to this day (including the engineer charge) I do not see why i should have to pay this when my laptop was not at fault and as the adviser had previously said if it was my laptop he would not have been able to get me online. I feel it was evidently some fault in relation to a Validation Code and the fact that this Talktalk box continuing to appear. Very soon after these problems began i went out and bought a new laptop and guess what, I had the same problems. My problems only ceased when i changed to SKY.

They will not admit they were at fault and surely the fact they cut me off without any warning alone, means they broke their agreement? without all the other problems i endured.

I have been through sheer hell with this company and it still hasn't ended. I hope no-one ever has to go through what i did.

I've no idea if TalkTalk report on your credit file. It may be worth checking this, as you will probably have to take TalkTalk to court to get this rectified.

My own views of the Ombudsman is that they are a toothless qango. Court seems the appropriate place to get justice to me.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi

while you may not want their help, we do have a talktalk rep on the forum.

i will send them a message to pop over and have a look.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi

Thank you so much Silverfox. I doubt it will help though as i have spent such a long time doing everything possible but to no avail. Talktalk and the Ombudsman are choosing to ignore the point about this "invalid verification code" and the fact the engineer used his own Laptop not mine which did not prove anything and also the fact that this particular adviser got me online. just so glad to be away from them but it still hasn't ended.

There are too many issues that neither of them will address. And surely the fact they cut me off while i was waiting for this amended bill means they are in breach of their contract? They have offered me something like a token of £50 which i am not accepting as this does not even begin to compensate for what they put me through not to mention the cost of me having to call them constantly for many, many months, the list just goes on also the fact i was told i would not be charged for this engineer call out which they are still trying to charge me even although the problem was not with my laptop.

And to this day they haven't offered me an explanation as to what this "code" was all about. Funny how it was the exact same problem which initially began on the January although that time they blamed the "exchange" and it was rectified until a few months down the line when the exact same problem began again.

Hi

Slight problem with that Foxy :p TalkTalk use their own webcrawlers to find threads... they will find there way here eventually :p At a guess their message would be to register on their "members forum" at http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/ and invite the OP to keep this thread updated if they wish :)

My own experience is that TalkTalk members forum is great, they keep you in the loop and you have resolution in black and white. If the OP had gone there originally I feel there is a good likelyhood that things would not have gone so far off course in the 1st place, however going there now is like shutting the stable gate after the horse is bolted (If you'll pardon the analogy Aicha... I know you're not a horse but you've well and truely bolted away from TalkTalk :p)

The problem with you getting what you deserve is that TalkTalk will only offer to compensate you for your actual losses, so in your place I'd write a list of things you've had to pay for... stamps, phone calls from your mobile, any journeys to friends to borrow their internet when you've needed it, and give them an acurate figure as to what it has cost you, then wipe any bills acrrued since this began, including the engineers charge, then you will consider this matter comcluded.

I'd personally send this to the CEOs department [email protected] and see how they reply.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

:lol: That's funny Lo

The problem is they wont 'even entertain anything like that just the same as they won't acknowledge or speak about anything to do with any verification code or why it kept appearing. They are so narrow minded. They cannot see beyond their own noses. All they are seeing is " an engineer was sent out, he tested his own laptop which was fine" end of story. Their offer of £50 is set in stone they will not even begin to consider anything else. I have mentioned all these mobile charges etc etc they are not interested.

I also emailed the CEO and asked he contact me PERSONALLY which he did not do.(explaining everything in full)

As i have previously mentioned, disregarding all else the fact they disconnected me with NO prior warning when they knew i was waiting for this amended bill surely means they are in breach of contract anyway? i always thought they have to give you some sort of notice regarding their intentions to do this.

Aicha, this is a forum, people post their opinions, it's up to you if you listen to them or not. Also, its always good to see the alternate point of view.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

With apologies to all involved in this thread. I have unapproved the 'flaming' posts. Can we please keep our manners about us. NO accusations either thanks.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

With apologies to all involved in this thread. I have unapproved the 'flaming' posts. Can we please keep our manners about us. NO accusations either thanks.

Thank you. Much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TalkTalk Offical Company Rep

Hi Aicha ,

We would need to look into this in more depth before we can advise you further, including checking the engineer report and other details pertaning to your issues.

If you tweet us @TalkTalkCare we can look into this in more depth for you.

Regards

Mark

TalkTalk Online Community Department

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply. i did not have a tweet account, however i have just set one up and have sent you a tweet. Could you please confirm that you have received this.

Many thanks

Guest TalkTalk Offical Company Rep

Hi Aicha,

Your Tweet will be picked up in due course, these are replied to in reverse chronological order (oldest to newest) between 9am and 5pm, so you will likely receive a reply tomorrow.

Regards

Mark

TalkTalk Online Community Department

• 4 weeks later...