first utility/dca/doorsteppers harrassing OAP about old bill with wrong est on it - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all

i have been advised to begin a formal complaint against first utility on behalf of my mother with regards to them claiming money which is not owed

can anyone advise me on the procedure,help with e mails or template letters at all

has anyone dealt with this company before as my experiences so far seem to suggest a very poor bunch

many thanks

its just a letter

p'haps you'd better ouline the story

then we can poss help even better?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok here are some more details

my mum moved into a new property on oct 3rd which was supplied by a company called first utility

on oct 21st she switched to british gas who she prefers to use

she received an estimated bill from first which was way in advance of anything that is on her meter even now !

contacted them and they blamed b gas,contacted b gas and they blamed first.

b gas have insisted it is now resolved and she is paying her b gas bills no problem

but was still getting demands from first,

she sent them a cheque without my knowledge for part of the bill hoping to bring the harassment to an end

then last week she got a solicitors letter,and this week a call from a debt collector!

obviously i am not happy about the treatment this firm are dishing out to an elderly lady living on her own

hence i have decided to make things formal.

but not very skilled at this type of thing

any help or advice most welcome

thanks

name and shame please

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

There is a system where meter readings are exchanged on transfer. When I transferred to Scottish Power & my old suppliers chased me for estimated bills, I contacted SP who resent the data & contacted my old suppliers for me (apparently they know who to talk to - I suspect it isn't a rare occurrence) and then everything went ok.

General advice is to not pay debt collectors and their tame solicitors but contact the supplier direct - they should have all the information & muzzle their dogs if you tell them it is wrong.

Don't forget about the cheque payment that your mum made in the final reconciliation. If it was made to a DCA it might take time to get to them

Did you take a reading when your mom entered the premises permanently and give it to First Utility? If not, there would have been an estimated read and this could result in a large bill which may take ages to resolve. As the bill is being disputed, the DCA/Solicitor needs to return the bill to First Utility and they may need to be reminded to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

thanks for replies so far,have sent my e mail complaint and have had all the correct acknowledgements back from them

in answer to a couple of questions yes we took readings on moving in but gave these to b gas as we wanted to change and my mum sent the cheque to first utility not a debt collector

will update as and when i get anything back

thanks