Hastings Direct - absolute nightmare

watchman2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3823 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I insured with Hastings Direct which I am now really, really regretting.

Whatever you do DON'T insure with them.

Unless you want a truly bad experience if you ever have to claim.

I recently had an accident on the inner ring road in Leeds, a dangerous place at the best of times. There was a stopped lorry and the car in front panicked (maybe) and did an emergency stop for no reason.

It was a low speed impact.

I called Hastings and was recovered to Nationwide Crash Repair Centre.

I was told on the phone that NCRC would provide a courtesy car.

When we got there they informed me that there were no courtesy cars available and there wouldn't be until the following week.

this was Friday. I rang them every day after that, until the assessor had deemed the car a total loss. At which point they wouldn't give me a courtesy car anyway. I've had to hire cars for the last three weeks.

I received a letter from Hastings telling me what would happen during the claim. One of the items was that the car would be taken to secure storage and I need to take out any personal belongings before it is moved. The letter was dated on the day of the accident, but I didn't receive it until a week and half later, by which time my car had been taken to Copart in York. Copart sent me the tax disc back the next day.

Last week, I received a letter from the Total Loss Team at Hastings asking fro my documents and referring to the Policy about how an estimate is made. I never received any documents from Hastings Direct in the post - no certificate, no terms and conditions.

I've called three times asking for copies of the policy.

The first time I was emailed a copy of the certificate, which I din't ask for.

The second time, I was told that they don't really do this, then after speaking to her "senior" for several minutes was told it would be emailed to me.

The third time I was told that the t&cs can't be emailed but that a paper copy would be posted to me. That was several days ago, so not holding out much hope.

I've also been told that I can't buy the car back once an settlement is reached.

They said to phone Copart and ask them.

A very nice lady at Copart informed me that they don't sell privately, but only via auction.

She said she didn't know why Hastings don't sell back to the owner, and that they are the ONLY insurer in the UK who don't do this. The policy was a bit cheaper than others, but no surprise because it is a nightmare.

To buy the car back via auction, this would mean driving to York, removing all the handsfree and audio equipment behind the dash, transferring my number plate, joining Copart, bidding on the car, reinstalling all the equipment and re-transferring my plate back to the car!

The car is a rare one. It took me ages to find this car with this exact spec.

I'll never find another one like it, and the parts will go for a fortune at auction!

Is there anything I can do?

Should I see a solicitor?

I have access to a low loader, a mechanic, all the parts needed and a paint shop.

I can get the car repaired for a third of what the assessor has said. Not worried about Cat C, as I never want to sell it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?325567-Hastings-direct-non-fault-accident-advice-needed&highlight=hastings+direct

read the thread provided in the link above.

we had a absolute nightmare last year with hastings. at one point we were actually told that we would be given the option to buy the car back and then they refused to let us as it is not their 'policy'

Try ringing the customer service people who replied to my original hastings thread or sending them a private message on here to see if you get any joy.

our outcome was we were allowed to buy our car back. They did try to then force us to pay our full years premiums out of the settlement figure until i pointed out we had signed a contract for payments over 11 months so no.

stay firm with hastings. the car still belongs to you until you agree to a settlement. DO NOT send your log book off to them before a settlement is reached. We got solicitor advise on this, often they will try and sell your car before reaching a settlement!!! If you are in a union you should be able to get solicitor advise on this via them, they also will take care of any personal injury or claims for refunding of excess you may have, usdaw providid this for ourselves.

keep fighting and GOOD LUCK

Hi Watchmen2, Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience. We appreciate all feedback and we are always trying to improve our service. I am sorry to hear that on this occasion our service has not met your expectations. I would really like the opportunity to look into this for you and try to help out. If you would like to contact me with your policy information I will happily investigate this for you. Many Thanks, Jamie Wicks, Social Media Manager, Hastings Direct

Hi Watchmen2, Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience. We appreciate all feedback and we are always trying to improve our service. I am sorry to hear that on this occasion our service has not met your expectations. I would really like the opportunity to look into this for you and try to help out. If you would like to contact me with your policy information I will happily investigate this for you. Many Thanks, Jamie Wicks, Social Media Manager, Hastings Direct

Hello Jamie.

As neither of you has enough posts to send PMs, it would be helpful if you posted up your work contact details on the thread please.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello Jamie.

As neither of you has enough posts to send PMs, it would be helpful if you posted up your work contact details on the thread please.

My best, HB

Customer Relations email (see our website for details) or 01424 738262, Many Thanks, Jamie Wicks

• 11 months later...

I have been insured by hastings direct for afew years now and so are alot of my family and friends and never had a problem until i was involved in a accident and i can say that the service provided is absolutely appauling, the accident was my fault and i was given a courtesy car for two days before been told by the enigeer that it was a write off and hastingd direct would contact me its been over 3 weeks since the accident and nothing has been settled i have called hastings direct many time who now claim they have not recieved the engineers report which the engineer said had been given over a week ago different advisors have said they would chase it up by the looks of it know one has and i have also been informed that my full years premium will be deducted from my settlement which i still have not yet recieved and im not to happy about that as it was paid monthly all and all stay away from this company the level of customer service is shocking and they dont seem to be of any help when you contact them i will in future be looking at other companies for insurance and will advise my family and friends too, just thought i would put it out there for other people to see.

Hastings rubbish customer service strikes again!!

We had the same issues with Hastings back in 2011. Never known a company like them!! It took me coming on here to complain (not in this thread-I'd started my own) to get the attention of someone who could help!

Our car was also written off by Hastings, tho on their engineers report they had listed parts not even needed - eg they listed clips would need to be bought separate to the lights and gaskets needed that didn't even exist!! I even got vauxhalls parts department to confirm this

Once we reached a agreeable settlement figure after weeks and weeks of hassle Hastings tried to claim the full years premiums from it. I did point out that I had signed to pay monthly and wished to continue doing so and they let me. So it may be worth asking someone higher up the decision making ladder if you get me.

The accident we had was not our fault but yet Hastings sent us a quote for the year after that was more than DOUBLE the premiums of 2011. Not that we would have stayed with them just thought it was a totally ridiculous quote for a non fault accident that cost Hastings nothing.

Good luck with your battle!!! And anyone reading this at a time when they are deciding which company to use. No matter how cheep the quote avoid avoid AVOID

thanks for the reply missmop, i have now seen how bad hastings is as a company and how they try to rip of their customers, the advisor i spoke to said i had no choice but to pay the full years premium because i have a contract to pay for the full year and as you rightly point out the contract is for monthly installments so and dont know how they think its right to deduct it from the settlement this just hows how they work all my family and friends now know how this compnay works and im sure after this they will also avoid this company and so should everybody that expects to be treated properly by their insurance company.By the looks of its going to be a battle and will update as soon as i hear anything from them which from pervious experience will mostly likely be after weeks shocking stuff!!

Hi t4z, Thanks for taking the time to post about your experience. I am sorry that you are not happy with the service you have received during your claim. I would like to take the opportunity to look into this for you and help you to get the matter resolved. Can you please get in contact with me with some details about your policy so I can investigate? [email protected] Many Thanks, Jamie

Don't understand what all the fuss is about if you don't like ther service provided why don't you go to another company there are plenty to choose from, by the sounds of things your really not happy with this company well i hope it all works out for you t4z and then you can wash your hands with hastings. I don't think i will be considering them in future if its this much trouble however all the best :) :)

• 2 months later...
thanks for the reply i have not heard anything as yet about how long i will have to wait someone at hastings is looking into it i will update as soon as i hear anything.

Hi t4z, If you get a chance would you mind posting an update to your case please? I think that the issues from this thread are now resolved but it would be great to hear from you. Many Thanks, Jamie

• 6 months later...

Hastings are [edited]!!!! Cheap insurance ridicules Admin charges... I have never been charged by an insurance company for changes to an address, unless I moved to a rougher area which is an increase in the policy not an admin charge. I have been told that I am being charged for changing my address £35.00, also I was charged initially for supplying wrong information I agree this is a charge I need to pay - my fault.

before taking the insurance please keep in mind they are initially cheap but any changes need to be made they are not cheap at all..

why to cancel is it cheaper to cancel into 14days of taking the policy than outside of 14 day's!

Terrible Customer Service, no way will I renew.. I just hope I don’t have an accident because the service for this seems just as bad!!!

Edited by honeybee13
Pejorative word.

Hi Stokey69, Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience. We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy, all of our charges for mid term amendments are fully outlined at the point of sale and in our policy documentation. However, we do appreciate your feedback about these charges and the service you have received. If there is anything we can do to help or if you would like us to look into this matter further for you please feel free to contact us directly. [email protected] Many Thanks, Jamie

Hi Stokey69, Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience. We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy, all of our charges for mid term amendments are fully outlined at the point of sale and in our policy documentation. However, we do appreciate your feedback about these charges and the service you have received. If there is anything we can do to help or if you would like us to look into this matter further for you please feel free to contact us directly. [email protected] Many Thanks, Jamie

Yes...waive the charge for him

Can you confirm why it is cheaper to cancel your insurance before 14 days of your term? Thanks for the reply .. You should waive this charge!!

The charging of admin fees came in about 14 years ago. Blame the comparison sites. The Insurers reduced some of their rates so they appeared towards the top of the comparison site results. To compensate for this they have added the various charges.

If you run a quote through a comparison site, all of the cheapest will have the highest charges.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Stokey69, Thanks for responding. When you get a chance please feel free to send over your policy details and I will be able to answer your questions in further detail. In the meantime with regards to your query surrounding the 14 day cancellation period (please let me know if I have misunderstood the question), you are entitled to a 14 day cooling off period where if you decide that the policy is not right for you, then you are able to cancel the policy at a reduce rate to that of the standard cancellation charges. Many Thanks, Jamie