Pay back JSA on a tribunal OOC settlement?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. Came across this forum and wondered if anyone could help.

I have just settled prior to a tribunal unfair dismissal hearing. Do I have to pay back JSA and maternity allowance for the period up to the tribunal date? Note that this was not awarded by the tribunal, it was a private settlement. The tribunal case was withdrawn.

Also, is the settlement taxable income?

Many thanks!

I don't think the benefits will need to be paid back in these circumstances. How was the settlement paid - was there a COT3 or Compromise Agreement? Theoretically, the first 30,000 should be tax free, so either way I wouldn't worry too much.

It was a COT3 settlement so it sounds like you could be right. I've been trying to find the answers to this thread on the direct gov and HMRC websites but no luck. Can I ask is your profession in this field?

I'm an employment lawyer but I don't deal in tax issues! All I can say is that from experience, I've never had anyone say they have had to repay benefits after a settlement. Usually they're deducted from a Tribunal award (although quite a percentage seem to slip through the net).

Hi,

Becky is right, the recoupment system only applies to an award made by a tribunal, and therefore does not apply to a payment ageed by the parties (and would only apply to specific benefits... in your case, it would have been JSA only)

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.