Discharged Bankrupt looking for a bank account with cheque book

bergkamp1966
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help.

My sister is a discharged bankrupt(due to husband leaving her with debts). She has a savings account with Abbey but would like a Bank account with a cheque book. She would also like one where she can set up direct debits as she is very poorly and will only get worse so having to go to a hole in the wall to get her money and going into town to pay her bills is getting more difficult. She does not want an overdraft facility.

There must be at least one bank out there that would provide this service for her. I would even go guarantee for her if i had to.

If anyone knows of a bank can they please let me know. she did try Abbey the other day but was turned down.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Can anyone help.

My sister is a discharged bankrupt(due to husband leaving her with debts). She has a savings account with Abbey but would like a Bank account with a cheque book. She would also like one where she can set up direct debits as she is very poorly and will only get worse so having to go to a hole in the wall to get her money and going into town to pay her bills is getting more difficult. She does not want an overdraft facility.

There must be at least one bank out there that would provide this service for her. I would even go guarantee for her if i had to.

If anyone knows of a bank can they please let me know. she did try Abbey the other day but was turned down.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Wrong site to be asking for a bank account - LOL!!

TBH although I'm fighting the HSBC they were very good to me initially when I had similar problems, had a cheque book and debit card with them - LLoyds closed all of my accounts when it happened. I'd banked with them for years had two current accounts, 2 deposit accounts and kids had accounts there also. They said it was head office policy!!

Good luck

• Confused 1

;) Boobaby

Please hit the scales if you think I've helped!

Please note that advice given is purely my opinion and should be treated as such.

FAQ’s

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

HSBC Claim - August 2006 £2,700 paid November 2006

Halifax Claim - August 2006 £4,100 paid December 2006

GE Capital - August 2006 - settled

Log Book Loans - August 2007 - sorted

Not sure but there are threads about parachute accounts and i think a list of banks in there.

HTH

If not i mayhave alist somewhere i used when i was in my DMP. I went to natwest and got a basic account but when i paid my salary in the gave me a cheque book and card.

GLenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thank you all for your advice,

Glenn UK i would appreciate it if you can find your list. I looked at the threads for parachute accounts and am worried that if she tries too many her non existant credit score will go into the minus. As Abbey have already turned her down and when she went bankrupt it was with them that she set up her savings account. So they know what goes in there.

Although she doesn't have a monthly salary going into her savings account, she gets monthly DLA and incapacity benefit and when she finally gets her divorce settlement from her ex she will have that as well.

I want to make sure i find one for her before she applies again as i don't want her getting stressed

So al help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you all once again

She would probably be ok getting a basic account with a debit card from Natwest or the Co-op.

She could use this for Direct Debits, and pay bills over the phone with a debit card.

I would be very surprised if any bank gave her an account with a cheque book.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Ill see if i can find my list, it was drawn up for this kind of situaiton by pay plan and sent out to people like us.

If i find it ill find a way of getting it on line.

HTH

Glenn

• Confused 1

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I also post on Debt Help UK : Free debt advice and solutions, with debt consolidation | UK debt consolidation service with free help and advice site and people often ask this question there. It is extremely difficult, as a discharged bancrupt, to get an account with a cheque book. From what I remember there are a few accounts that offer debit cards, Electron or Solo. Natwest offers a Step account with an Solo card. Bank of Scotland offer a cashcard account with an Electron card. It takes longer to open these accounts but it may be worth her checking them out. The Clydsdale/Yorkshire also offer a basic account but I can't remember it's name.

Her credit score won't go negative (it isn't stored like that) but if she shops around then the searches may have an adverse effect. The best thing she can do is call the bank up and ask them. Quite a few people I know have managed to get the Natwest acount with no problems and this account can be applied for online (I've got one).

Good luck.

• Confused 1

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

Many thanks for all your responses I will start enquiring tomorrow and then i will let her know.

I feel responsible for her position as when her ex left her i was constantly helping her out and when it got too much it was me who persuaded her to go bankrupt, as then at least i knew that all i had to do was make sure the money i gave her went on keeping a roof over her head and food in her cupboards.

Some people may say that at least she may be clear in six years, but the problem is is that she may not be here in six years as she is terminally ill.

She does make me laugh as she is fuming that Abbey turned her down and wants to move her money asap.

SO THANK YOU EVERYONE

I will start with NatWest. Even though my partner has a dispute with them ref his loan and unlawful charges so i have been chuckling to myself that i may be assisting my sister to open an account with them lol

I will let you know when she succeeds.

Dunno about discharged bankrupt. I thought if you were discharged, you woz back in the game (and spending) again.

We got ourselves Trust Deeds last year (Scottish Equiv. of IVA's), and the Co-Op Bank were fine in that they got us a basic online account with debit card, but no cheque book (what's the big deal with cheque books, anyway these days ??)

Then Smile.co.uk opened up for us with a cheque book - they're part of Co-Op anyway.

Try 'em, at least.

FWIW - (and I mean this with all the best intentions) I've always held the belief that we're all terminally ill, bergkamp - that it's a condition of life, and is called Mortality. Whatever time we've got left we must use as best we can. I might have 30+ years left or I could disappear under a bus tomorrow. Do what you can - and let the record show that, for future generations to see.

Bergkamp

Im sorry i have just been sorting out all my papers and cannot find the list. If you dont have any luck try this site Free Debt Management company | Payplan.

These are the people who who sent me the list not sure if they would send it to you but you can but ask.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thank you for looking Glenn very much appreciated. She tried NatWest on line to find that she is still showing as Bankrupt so she is contactin the receiver tomorrow to get her certificate, then she will try again.

I explained to her why she may not get a cheque book. We did have a laugh when she understood why and I did explain that once she is up and running she will be able to pay her bills on line or through DD so she is happy enough. She justs needs her certificate now. She has been discharged 18 months now. It makes me laugh that the credit agencies find out straight away that people are bankrupt but noone seems to be in a hurry to tell them they have been discharged and the discharged bankrupt only finds out that they are still showing as bankrupt when they apply for something. Mind you thats life, nothing ever easy lol.

Thank you once again

• 5 weeks later...

Just came across this thread searching through. How did your sister get on, has she managed to open an account with Natwest? I've got a basic account with Barclays which is a cash card only and when they wouldn't upgrade it (I was after a debit card) I tried Natwest. The process took ages and in the end they turned me down. I couldn't understand why as I had been discharged for 18 months and I had checked my credit files to ensure they were all as up-to-date and correct as possible. After speaking with someone from Natwest I was told the most probable reason why was because some of my debt had been with banks.

Has anyone else had similar problems to this? All I am after is an account with a debit card, i.e. Solo and the ability to have standing orders out of my account. I'm not asking for an overdraft facility or any form of credit, just the ability to access my money a lot easier!

Hi Andyjay, my sister tried opening account with Natwest but was declined as she was still showing as bankrupt. She has just sent her letter from official receiver to equifax, experiam and my call credit so will hopefully get her records updated.

She will then try somewhere else. When i went down to see her we did queue in Nationwide to see if she could get an account there but as she cannot stand or walk for too long (she has secondary cancer in her bones) we had to leave.

It does make me laugh as she got part of her cheque from her divorce settlement today and Abbey National (where she has a basic savings account) offered to open up a flexi saver for her as it has a higher interest rate, but she cannot set up direct debits or standing orders in it.

hopefully she will get something soon to make life easier for her

i will let you know if she does

Good luck with yours and let me know if you get anywhere with the Coop