• Tweets

• and Brexit Britain err EU Greece becomes first European country to ban bottom trawling in marine parks   Greece becomes first European country to ban bottom trawling in marine parks | Fishing | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM The law will come into force in national parks within two years and in all of the country’s marine protected areas by 2030  
    • Good on them for following the rules. They still haven't proven that I'm the driver though right? I also checked the council's website and there's no planning permission for the signs. No luck with the organ grinder. I think I'll need to take this to court and win to prove my point to the other freeholders.
    • Isas already allow you to earn tax-free interest on up to £20,000 each tax year. But under recent reforms, they are now supposed to be more flexible.View the full article
    • The NTK is pretty good at complying with the Act  as is the Notice to Driver so no help there. I seem to remember OPS getting hammered by a Judge [in brighton I think] so they seem to have tightened po their act since. The organ grinder is the MA and the monkey is OPS.
    • @jk2054 and @BankFodder - Your feedbacks in posts #199 and #202 have been incorporated into the attached WS. As usual, amends are in blue in this draft. Based on other WS drafts I've seen where the issues in dispute are part of the WS, I built my first draft WS in the same format and hadn't seen it to be an issue before. You will notice that the 'witness statement' has been replaced with 'Claimant's Statement' so that issues in dispute does not need to be on a separate page before the WS. This is especially given the work that has gone in to reduce the size of the WS to 8 pages. Also thanks for the suggestions re: confidentiality - I agree with your views and will stand firm on this if a condition of confidentiality is brought up. I have not been approached by Evri on this forum or by email. I haven't yet had success in paying the hearing fee. I am calling the court as often as I can (during work breaks/lunch etc.) and have sent 2 emails to the court requesting a call back. If i don't have any success by the end of this week, I'll send another email chasing for a call back. @BankFodder - Also attached is an invoice from Packlink which shows that I was charged by Packlink for these services: "drop-off at EVRi - Next day delivery" and "Proof of Delivery". It also has the payer's address and there are "Origin" and "Destination" fields which have the postcode of the sender and the recipient (I have redacted personal details in the attached invoice).  I am already including this in my evidence bundle (without the redaction) but wanted to share this redacted version so that other people can consider this as example in their bundle of Packlink and Evri's contract being instigated by the sender of the parcel who has paid for the service, and further shows that there is information in the invoice to identify that a third party beneficiary (sender / recipient) is present in the contract between Packlink and Evri. If this invoice is no good, then please let me know / delete it from this post. Draft - Witness Statement and Court Bundle redacted.pdf Packlink invoice - REDACTED.pdf
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

comet fridge freezer/problems

dickybird
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

]we purchased a hotpoint fridge freezer from comet in southend-on-sea on 2/12/2011,

after it was delivered we let it stand for a couple of days to settle before switching it on, all seemed ok,

lights came on freezer was working away - we did a major shop to fill it ready for xmas.

We had to shop early as we get paid at the end of the month,

it was not until 11/01/12 that we realised the fridge was not working,

the food was going off,

we tried over the next few days to change the settings, but nothing,

the fridge was not working,

we called for repair on 11/01/12, and was booked in for 19/01/12,

my partner took a day off, and they did not show,

they cancelled the call due to not having the parts,

even though they have not yet seen the fridge they new apparently what was wrong.

After more contact, i was then told the parts would be in on 25/01,

and they would be in touch for fitting,

we phoned on 26/01 only to be told the parts were not in and would be arriving on 03/02,

Then we had a phone call to say the engineer would call on 9/02,

another day off,

at 15.20 that day we got a text apologising for the fact that they were not coming...

we contacted citizens advice, and have been to the store for a refund,

but the manager refused to see us and told his member of staff to tell us we had to wait for a repair,

we now have another repair date for 17/02,

comet have cost us more in lost wages and food than what we paid for the item,

well we are going to go all the way to court if we have to,

i thought i would tell comet head office first but you have to pay extortionate phone charges for the privalage

and we were informed of a ten minute wait in a queue,

i will post them a copy of my complaint,

i have given them fourteen days to respond,

comet are abismal at customer service in my opinion

Wish i had gone to waitrose/john lewis as i normally do,

never get problems there

it went wrong within 28days

it should, under their own rules and SOGA

been replaced immediately.

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such. Explain whats happened, how they let you down and what you want them to do.

Send it to :-

Bob Darke, Managing Director

[email protected]

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...complaint.html

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This is shocking Customer Service dickybird and totally unacceptable .

I certainly hope "COMET Response" reads your post .

Once again another example of the "Crystal Ball fault diagnosis" by COMET and as yet your Fridge Freezer has still not been examined by their engineer.

Failed appointments and no parts after nearly 5 weeks since you first reported the fault with your new appliance.

Follow dx`s advice and hope for the best you get sorted out ASAP and keep us informed .

Regards

GorgieBoy

Well, at this moment, comet have refused to do anything,

it would appear that the service team have given a different account of what has transpired,

they said that they tried to contact us to cancel the first appointment,

but then later stated that the parts were not in????

then they said on the second attempt to repair, that the engineer could not make contact and gain entry to the house to effect a repair,

but we have a text from them saying, sorry, we are working on your repair will be in touch shortly,

so another day of no pay......,

depending on who you speak to...,

we are supposed to be waiting first for a thermostat...,

then a fan and sponge(yes that,s right)

and now a motor,

part of the problem is that the repair side of comet do not put down on their conversation the real truth and customer services believe their own staff,

i have had the reply i expected within the fourteen days i gave them, and it is not to my satisfaction, so i will get court papers tomorrow,

i also contacted head office and told them of these events and have not had a reply as yet from them,

although they did say it could take three days to investigate, so things could change,

i have, it would appear, the green light from trading standards so lets see what happens,,,,

thanks to you out there for your support

filling in a pre-action protocol form today, apparently you have to give them this form filled in and a minimum of 14 days to respond, found details on"which"

Forget this

You have correspondence, you have the let downs, you have not received satisfactory resolution, you have copies of everything and notes

Send them a 7 day lba

ims

well......, i have been typing up all the notes and looking at the way to go forward,.. and it seems that when i send them notification of intent to sue.., that i should also, try, and agree an out of court settlement first, as this would look good to the judge on the day.., i initially told them that i reject the item, and was not accepting any more time wasting, and wanted a refund..., well as you have read already, this was refused, as was an exchange, as was compensation..so..., where could i find middle ground..., i had had a missed call from the directors office, so, i returned the call, and they said that they wanted to come out again and repair the unit, and it was not reasonable for me not to allow this.., i said, i understand that if we want to resolve this issue, then we both need to find a settlement that would suit us both and seem fair, as a result i said" ok"..., if i allow you a third booked call , and you are unable to repair the unit, or if you dont turn up to repair it, then i want you to agree to a full refund, in writing..., she said she could not authorise that, so she had to disagree at that point..., the call was ended...and i emailed them an outline of the conversation for my records...a short time ago i recieved another call from the lady, who said that she was not able to get any agreement on this offer, but stated.. that as the engineer had not actually seen the fridge then he could not be sure of whether or not he would be carrying the right parts, and if he could not repair it he would phone his office while still on my premises and ask if the fridge could be written off based on his findings... and it would be up to the service manager to decide on a yes or no...,i said this was totally unreasonable.....( you might remember that they had stated that they did not need to see the item because they new what was wrong and the delay was in finding a part)... well, i am now satisfied i have given them opportunity in abundance, so i will bring my paperwork up to date and post it off, it might take a week but it,s being sorted

Edited by dickybird
abbreviation

put some blank lines in please.........

dx

use the edit button

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

sorry if my post is a little confusing......

i have now collected papers and booklets from the court office, and will fill those in......

.i have kept trading standards up to speed..

.it would seem as i understand it....

that it is correct procedure to outline the case to comet as to why i believe i have a fair claim for a refund,

to that end i have kept copies of everything that they have sent me and copies of everything i sent them,

if i put this all this together in order as a statement of facts then i am hopefull that comet may settle out of court..

.if not....

then these papers would also be given to the judge as the reason i am bringing this case,

it will also show that i have given comet opportunity on several occassions to resolve the issue...

which can only strengthen my case....

or am i wrong

If you have not yet sent them the 7 day lba I would suggest you do so.

It does not need to be lengthy.

Along the lines of

"I refer to previous protracted correspondence and your failures to....blah blah. Under SOGA I now require [ENTER WHAT YOU WANT]. Should you not comply then I will issue in court without further reference to yourselves."

In that letter also tell them that you want to know what parts of SOGA they feel do not apply to them and why.

ims

ok thanx, i will try that first...the only slightly grey area might be that they will say i have not let them see the freezer yet....of course my answer is....well, you stated that you did not need to see it as you knew what the problem was, and you were ordering the part

It broke down within 28 days according to the above....you are within your rights to demand a refund or replacement.

They are giving you the runaround and thus are taking control of you.

Take the control back

ims

• 3 weeks later...

they wont

will be an 11th hour backpeddle

dx

and they

Hi dicky

How did you pay? If you payed by Credit Card or Visa Debt, you could have contacted your Card Provider to ask to do a Chargeback. It might still be worth contacting them, explaining fully whats happened including the 'legal action'.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/

I recieved an offer to replace the unit today, But no mention of the costs i have now incurred as a direct result of their diabolical customer service, Who in their right mind would want another item from comet? when i have been treated with such contempt, I am going to continue my court action unless they refund and compensate me for at least part of my losses

The letter we recieved from comet with an apology attatched, And offer to exchange the unit was, it appears, sent from a different department within comet, it was nice to get a long awaited apology, However, The directors office knew nothing of this offer to us, and from their tone on the phone were more than embarrassed as i think they were going to take this case all the way, Any way i am still rejecting the offer as it has not included compensation. but i believe this letter from them proves my case anyway...i just wish they would treat me as a customer and not the enemy..watch this spot

• 1 month later...