criminal damage conpensation

gazareth
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all

firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section ( please feel free to move if it is )

a couple of weeks ago mine and my partners cars had their door mirrors kicked of and smashed up by a drunken man, my neighbour and i saw him do it and called the police , we then went out in his car to try to find the guy who had done it , eventually we caught up with him and performed a citizens arrest and delivered him back to the police who were still at my address looking at the damage.

we had to give statements etc and obtain an estimate for the repair of the cars the bill for mine and the wifes cars was just short of £720

the man was charged and appeared at magistrates court and admitted to the damage and also to damaging a further 20 cars , he was given a suspended prison sentence and ordered to pay £430 compensation , i recieved a letter today saying i had been awarded the princely sum of £ 19.21 compensation.

my question is , is there any way i can appeal against this award as i dont see why i should be out of pocket because of the antics of a drunken idiot ?

to me its an insult the judge may as well have told the guy to come round my house in the morning and take a **** in my cornflakes just for good measure, and they wonder why the police and court system gets no respect at all

any advice would be greatly received

gaz

As for as I know, you are still free to start a civil action via the small claims court - but, ultimately, the old rule of blood and stone still applies - if the guy has no assets then you are onto a loser.

No, it isn't fair, the people who can't be bothered to get a job etc seem to get away with breaking the law with impunity - the rest of us get massive fines for minor transgressions.