Threatened with refusal of deposit refund

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been living in my current private rented property for 2 years as of 1st Feb 2012. We handed in our months notice on 1st Feb and will be leaving at the end of the month.

Whilst living at the property we have had more than several problems with it. The list is honestly too long - I have just filled 4 a4 sheets of paper with the problems we have had. However, we had a pre-check inspection on Monday so an employer of the estate agent could pinpoint specifically what we need to do in order to be refunded our full deposit.

The only thing she pointed out were dirty marks on the top bedroom wall. These marks were there when we moved in to the property and were stated on our amended inventory, yet she is saying if we do not cover them, and they haven't been repainted or cleaned, we will be charged.

We received a letter from the next day of what they expected us to do before leaving the property which included all of the usual things about fittings and fixtures. One of the points made was that all kitchen cupboards and drawers should be aligned. However they are not, but is not stated on either their original inventory or our amended copy. We did however call the agency and ask them to send someone out to have a look at them (the drawers also don't close properly) and he said that the kitchen had been poorly fitted but there was nothing he could do about it.

I have raised this issue with the agency but they have said that it would have been stated on their inventory if the doors had not lined up but it wasn't. We didn't mention it because it wasn't something we originally noticed, but were advised by the agency that if we called them with any problems which weren't stated on the inventory then they would be noted so it wouldn't be a problem when it came to leaving.

We have repainted near enough the entire house and reglossed all wood despite the fact it was only done a few months ago. We are replacing blinds that were broken when we moved in (which was included in the inventory) and are paying for a professional carpet clean (on a carpet that is ruined and is stated in inventory as 'not perfect'). We have been told by the cleaning company the carpet is basically ruined and there's not much he can do by cleaning it, but obviously we have no choice. However, we are being threatened with having to replace this carpet anyway, despite it being wrecked when we moved in.

I have a horrible feeling that this is going to end badly and we won't end up getting our deposit back. If we were to dispute this how would I go about it and after reading the above do you think I have a case? My biggest problem of all with the agency is it took them 5 months to replace a floor that was damaged due to a radiator leak which resulted in ripping my 10month old daughters toe nail off. I have proof of this as I took her to the doctors about it and told them how it had happened. She also had lots of scratches up her arms (she was crawling at the time) but I don't have any picture proof of this.

Sorry for rambling on, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Some of these agents are so fussy.

When you rent a car the car rental company do not expect a brand new car back, it's going to be used. The same goes for houses.

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.

Thankyou.