Trouble with DWP after suffering a stroke

MBNAvictim
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Firstly, please forgive any mistakes in my posts - my grammar went out of the window after my stroke. My situation: suffered full stroke in mid-Nov and hospitalised for eight days. No damage to physiology but the stroke damaged the part of my brain responsible for communication. I was left with no speech and impaired hearing and vision. My speech has progressed to junior school level and my vision has improved considerably. Although I can once again listen to music and listen to the radio, the poor audio quality of telephones mean that I have great difficulty in using the telephone. In fact it has been proved that my ears are working perfectly and my problem is down to a neurological deficit - in other words brain damage. I'm being referred to hospital to have my hearing assessed.

My problem concerns Pension Credit. I'm receiving long-term Incapacity Benefit (on the old rules) after a heart attack 10 years ago, and of course my recent stroke. When I was discharged from hospital Social Services were supposed to help me deal with my benefits - I live alone with no nearby family. Needless to say I received no help and in fact I had to make my claim for Benefit Credit - fortunately my intellect was mostly unaffected by the stroke. Now the problem: the DWP are demanding proof of my birth. I tried to call the call centre, an unpleasant exchange as both parties became exasperated, meanwhile I was humliated by a snide remark "you should be able to manage your finances". The clerk obviously had no knowledge of strokes and their effects on survivors.

I'm at loss to as to why they now want proof of my birth 61 years after the event? They are paying my Incapacity Benefit and have done for several years. They know when and where I was born, they issued me a National Insurance number when I started work, and no doubt they could tell me my inside leg measurement. My birth certificate has disappered over several moves. I supplied my expired passport which of course has my birth of date etc. but that is not sufficient. Now they demand a "certificated" birth certificate, something I've never come across.

My health has been compromised by the DWP's transigance. I cannot speak fluently and my speech fails completely if under stress. My vision has been impaired by my stroke and now glasses - I didn't need them beforehand. Until I receive an NHS voucher I cannot to pay for glasses. Likewise although over 60 and on Incapacity Benefit I am not entitled free dental treatment.

Can anybody help?

I know this isn't quite what you're asking; but you can buy a full birth certificate for about £7. Also, have you applied for DLA? It seems to me that you do have care (not sure about mobility) needs that would mean you need help from another person.

Hi folks,

Thanks for replies. My physiology hasn't been affected - in fact I swim for at least an hour most days and I've also been cleared to swim outdoors - I'm actually cold-acclimatised to be able swim unprotected in winter-cold water, part of my rehabilation. No - there's no way I could be granted DLA.

The aftermath of my stroke are bouts of depression, fatigue, the inability to follow a conversation and very short attention span. I'm also very absentminded and have a very short fuse - possibly because I can't communicate properly. Unfortunately our telephone-obsessed culture causes problems for someone like myself whose hearing has been affected by the way the brain processes sound.